Potential Bargains in 2014 NFL Free Agency

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Jan 19, 2014.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,165 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,582ß
    By Erik Lambert - Jan 18th, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Thanks to the Jay Cutler deal, the Chicago Bears will have to spend their money wisely in 2014 NFL free agency. Here are some possible bargains.

Darren McFadden – RB – Oakland Raiders

Matt Forte had a career year but his backup Michael Bush was largely quiet. The Bears need to get more out of the backup spot to give Forte a breather. Darren McFadden announced he would leave the Oakland Raiders and test free agency. His value is unlikely to be high though due to injury problems. On the other hand, his skill set would mesh well with the Bears system. Also, since he would be sharing carries with Forte, his body would take less of a beating. It could be the ideal situation for him to repair his value.

Mike Neal – DE/OLB – Green Bay Packers

Defensive end figures to become a real problem for Chicago in 2014 unless they do some restructuring. What better way to do that than by also weakening a division rival. Mike Neal had 5.5 sacks for the Green Bay Packers in ten starts this past season. Unfortunately his ongoing injury issues have left him in flux with his current team and might see him hit the open market. He boasts the size at 6’3″, 285 lbs to play defensive end and would be able to maintain his health if he came in on a rotation basis.

Vance Walker – DT – Oakland Raiders

The position that largely killed the Bears in 2013 was defensive tackle. They lost three key players at the position before the season was even half over, two to injury and one to abrupt retirement. It must be bolstered or Chicago risks history repeating itself. If they can’t afford a top name, then they should keep their eyes on Vance Walker. The 26-year old quietly had a productive season for Oakland, notching 40 tackles and three sacks. His big 305 lbs frame would lend a big hand defending the run as well.

Chris Clemons – S – Miami Dolphins

Both safeties in the defense were exposed for Chicago throughout the season. They looked lost in coverage and too often took bad angles on running plays. Revamping the position is a must. His numbers aren’t gaudy, but Chris Clemons was one of the unsung heroes of the Miami Dolphins defense. He made 92 tackle and deflected eights passes despite having just one interception. On top of that he hasn’t missed a game in three years.

Everson Griffen – DE – Minnesota Vikings

Keeping in the same scenario as Green Bay, the Chicago Bears have an opportunity to weaken another divisional foe in the Minnesota Vikings. One of their well kept secrets is defensive end Everson Griffen. Despite not starting a single game for them in 2013, he still managed to notch 5.5 sacks. The guy is a natural pass rusher with a solid 273-lbs frame. Whether he’s good enough to start is up for debate, but he’s certainly worth a look provided the price is fair.

Emmanuel Sanders – WR – Pittsburgh Steelers

The 2014 NFL free agency period can be about finding a star but mostly it should be about finding quality depth. One area the Bears should look to shore up is the slot receiver position. Earl Bennett failed to get adequate production from there. What Chicago could use is somebody with more speed. Pittsburgh Steelers wide out Emmanuel Sanders would qualify. While not a burner he has the speed, agility and athleticism to thrive consistently beat linebackers and safeties from the slot position. Playing between Alshon Jeffery and Brandon Marshall could only help his cause and take the Bears offense to the next level.

http://nflmocks.com/2014/01/18/chicago-bears-potential-bargains-2014-nfl-free-agency/
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,666 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,845ß
    no to McFadden please.
    DE/OLB from a 3-4 system, do we really need another undersized DE; let alone w/one w/inj issues?
    The rest are fine by me, but not really sure we need that kind of price tag on another WR.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,237 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    615ß
    While I'm all for bargain hunting, I think it's naïve to think we aren't going to free up some cap space by making a few cuts. I also think we are going to see improved play from the guys we have already and will draft a stud DT. My 0.02.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. latorreedgar

latorreedgar Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I agree people forget that the Bears have Cornelius Washington that should be playing DE next year after having a full season under his belt and a full training camp. They need to see what they have with him.
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,058 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    1. Welcome to the messageboard.
    2. DavidL is going to like your post :-)
    • Like Like x 5
  6. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    If we cut Bush, McFadden would be a good backup with backup money :D
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,666 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,845ß
    Replace Bass w/Corn and you have a valid point. Bass actually played pretty well when given a chance. Corny got his shot and found himself burried farther onto the bench.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    I like that list but replace Mike Neal with Michael Bennett
    • Like Like x 1
  9. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,287 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    243ß
    Walker and Clemons might fill some needs. Probably need to draft a bit for redundancy at DT, DE, and DB.
  10. GermansbombedPH

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    Bennett won't be a bargain after playing the Super Bowl now
    • Like Like x 2
  11. CaptainHookShot

CaptainHookShot Rookie

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I didn't think Bush had that bad of a season. Sure, you can point to lackluster stats, but really, he is backing up one of the best and most versatile backs in the league. To expect that much production out of him would be absurd, especially with all the weapons on this offense. He just isn't likely to get enough touches to do any real damage. At that point it comes down to how much are we paying him and could he potentially fill in for Forte were he to get injured. I think he could do a decent job filling in actually, as far as his salary I am under the assumption that it is too much-but would McFadden be cheaper? I doubt it.
    I don't know much about Clemons. But he can't be worse than what we have now and this is one of our weakest positions. You aren't just going to grab something in the draft and stick it in at safety in this horrible defense and make it work. We need a few pros and he might fit the bill.
  12. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +164 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    68ß
    Probably not, the only way I see him coming is if he wins the SB with Seahawks, and then decides he wants to play with his brother even though he would be offered a lower salary to do so.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,666 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,845ß
    CHS, 4 mil is WAY to much for a backup rb, and he could fill in about as well as any # of rb's you could get in the draft or UFDA or in FA. ya Mcfadden would be cheaper then 4mil, and I have no want for him b/c he's no good.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,628 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    689ß
    NO to McFadden. Bush always has, and always will be the better runningback. I think we can all agree that when the Bears started finding ways to get him in space, he was able to show both his speed and his power, as opposed to using him as an "up the middle" type guy, which isn't gonna work with this line. If you replace Bush, fine, but do it with an UDFA or late round guy.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    68ß
    I agree Henry. Draft a guy on day 3 & let him compete with Ford. As far as Bush goes, and I mean Michael Bush, I think he's a good back but he needs more carries to prove his worth & as long as Forte stays healthy it's just not gonna happen.
  16. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,287 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    243ß
    Replace Garza in the middle and with better interior push I believe you would see Bush excel.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. GermansbombedPH

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    maybe they still expect Forte to miss time due to injury and known injury history
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,058 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    This is why it's so important to have a continual pipeline of high-quality young talent coming in through the draft, and why poor drafting kills a team. It is both a talent issue, and money issue.

Ideally, we should already have a youngster on the roster who is a solid #2 to Forte (so there would have been no need to have paid significant money to Bush due to us already having a solid backup to Forte on the roster). Every single time you draft a bust, or even draft too many mediocre players (like Jerry Angelo did), then you are forced to overpay for FA help. I understand that we'll always have to get a percentage of FA's to fill out the roster. But teams that do this too much are usually in trouble. This is why I was really pleased that Emery's first move was to beef up the scouting department of the Bears. If Emery can have a higher percentage of success in the draft, then we will be better able to SUSTAIN winning here in Chicago.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  19. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    33ß
    A guy I think could be a bargin is TE Ed Dickson from the Ravens. He does not have any flashy numbers but he is a solid blocker, and he is starting to really turn the corner as a receiver.

He is a depth guy behind M. Bennett, but he is capable of filling in quite nicely just like he did for Dennis Pita this year.

I know our focus should be on the Defense, but if we want the offense to continue to compete at the top of the league, we need someone other than Rosario or Britton as back-up TE.
  20. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    33ß
    I know that Stats are not everything in the NFL, but Micheal Bennett had fewer tackles 31 to 46 than Peppers and only 1 more sack, plus Peppers had 1 interception and 2 Forced Fumbles and Bennett had none.

I'm not sure that he is any better than Pep, as a mater of fact the stats (other than sacks) indicate that Peppers had a much better year, and I want someone better than Peppers.

Bennett has never had a 10 sack year and after playing in the Superbowl I'm not sure he is going to be a bargin.

Sorry but I would say pass.