Potential Bargains in 2014 NFL Free Agency

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Jan 19, 2014.

1. CaptainHookShot

CaptainHookShot
    Expand Collapse
    Rookie

ßearz ßuckz:
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I didn't think Bush had that bad of a season. Sure, you can point to lackluster stats, but really, he is backing up one of the best and most versatile backs in the league. To expect that much production out of him would be absurd, especially with all the weapons on this offense. He just isn't likely to get enough touches to do any real damage. At that point it comes down to how much are we paying him and could he potentially fill in for Forte were he to get injured. I think he could do a decent job filling in actually, as far as his salary I am under the assumption that it is too much-but would McFadden be cheaper? I doubt it.
    I don't know much about Clemons. But he can't be worse than what we have now and this is one of our weakest positions. You aren't just going to grab something in the draft and stick it in at safety in this horrible defense and make it work. We need a few pros and he might fit the bill.

2. ZifanQ

ZifanQ
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    86ß
    Probably not, the only way I see him coming is if he wins the SB with Seahawks, and then decides he wants to play with his brother even though he would be offered a lower salary to do so.

• Like Like x 2
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,163ß
    CHS, 4 mil is WAY to much for a backup rb, and he could fill in about as well as any # of rb's you could get in the draft or UFDA or in FA. ya Mcfadden would be cheaper then 4mil, and I have no want for him b/c he's no good.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Henry Burris

Henry Burris
    Expand Collapse
    Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    953ß
    NO to McFadden. Bush always has, and always will be the better runningback. I think we can all agree that when the Bears started finding ways to get him in space, he was able to show both his speed and his power, as opposed to using him as an "up the middle" type guy, which isn't gonna work with this line. If you replace Bush, fine, but do it with an UDFA or late round guy.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BearJim

BearJim
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    115ß
    I agree Henry. Draft a guy on day 3 & let him compete with Ford. As far as Bush goes, and I mean Michael Bush, I think he's a good back but he needs more carries to prove his worth & as long as Forte stays healthy it's just not gonna happen.

6. short faced bear

short faced bear
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    842ß
    Replace Garza in the middle and with better interior push I believe you would see Bush excel.

• Like Like x 1
  7. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    126ß
    maybe they still expect Forte to miss time due to injury and known injury history

8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,292ß
    This is why it's so important to have a continual pipeline of high-quality young talent coming in through the draft, and why poor drafting kills a team. It is both a talent issue, and money issue.

Ideally, we should already have a youngster on the roster who is a solid #2 to Forte (so there would have been no need to have paid significant money to Bush due to us already having a solid backup to Forte on the roster). Every single time you draft a bust, or even draft too many mediocre players (like Jerry Angelo did), then you are forced to overpay for FA help. I understand that we'll always have to get a percentage of FA's to fill out the roster. But teams that do this too much are usually in trouble. This is why I was really pleased that Emery's first move was to beef up the scouting department of the Bears. If Emery can have a higher percentage of success in the draft, then we will be better able to SUSTAIN winning here in Chicago.

#18 JustAnotherBearsFan99, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  9. mdbearz

mdbearz
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    258ß
    A guy I think could be a bargin is TE Ed Dickson from the Ravens. He does not have any flashy numbers but he is a solid blocker, and he is starting to really turn the corner as a receiver.

He is a depth guy behind M. Bennett, but he is capable of filling in quite nicely just like he did for Dennis Pita this year.

I know our focus should be on the Defense, but if we want the offense to continue to compete at the top of the league, we need someone other than Rosario or Britton as back-up TE.

10. mdbearz

mdbearz
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    258ß
    I know that Stats are not everything in the NFL, but Micheal Bennett had fewer tackles 31 to 46 than Peppers and only 1 more sack, plus Peppers had 1 interception and 2 Forced Fumbles and Bennett had none.

I'm not sure that he is any better than Pep, as a mater of fact the stats (other than sacks) indicate that Peppers had a much better year, and I want someone better than Peppers.

Bennett has never had a 10 sack year and after playing in the Superbowl I'm not sure he is going to be a bargin.

Sorry but I would say pass.