Potential Safety options _ thinking outside of the box

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, May 2, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +443 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    235ß
    • Like Like x 1
  2. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +190 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I also saw this and could see Emery pulling the trigger on one of them if the top safetys are gone. It all depends on just who is left at 14 of course.
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,436 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    204ß
    He's talked about CB to S, I see no reason they couldn't look further down. I could also see them taking what many will look at as a reach in Fuller who can play S and CB, even if more convential picks are sitting there.

I still see them taking 2 DB's in this draft, and probably 3 O players, which leaves 2 picks left for front 7 of the D.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. butka

butka Rookie

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +577 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    118ß
    He's my favorite safety in this year's draft.
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    18ß
    I love Deonne to the Bears. I'd be stoked if we got him in the 2nd, even with a trade up. Adding a top notch CB prospect in the 1st and that shores up the secondary going forward very nicely. You may be able to nab Fuller in the mid 1st with a small trade down to net an extra 4th (there's your ammo to move up in 2).

That's my dream scenario if Donald isn't there for us, which increasingly looks like it will be the case.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +443 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    235ß
    Ourlads has Bucannon as its top rated S. Thy may be out of line or not but I suspect he will not last if Ourlads has him ranked that similar to the Big 2, which normally they are, then many teams may rate him with the other 2 ( Pryor and Dix) and unless we go in rd 1 he probably will not be there. I hope he is but just sayin... lots of teams looking for S this yr.
  8. butka

butka Rookie

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    That was my thought. With Emery clearly having a relatively unique approach in how he values player attributes, many are anticipating a surprise pick. I'm thinking Bucannon could be our pick at 14 that might ruffle some feathers amongst fans and analysts. But if you look closer, he appears to be the most physically talented from a workout standpoint, and has a productive record on the field.

I agree, I doubt he lasts to the 51st pick. I wouldnt mind at all if we were able to trade down in the 1st and still grab him. But I wouldn't be surprised if Emery grabs his guy regardless, whoever that ultimately is.
  9. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I think he's going to pick Fuller. I'd be OK with that after I did some more reading on him.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Strangerwithcandy11

Strangerwithcandy11 Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,471 / 14 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    Does thinking outside the box make you gay?
    • Like Like x 1
  11. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +637 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    I really like Shazier a lot. Being a fan of that orange and blue crap team in the Big 10, I've watched Shazier and the kid is a very physical and intelligent player.

I also like the idea of Telvin Smith if he falls far enough as a safety option.

I also like Bucannon...in the second round. I understand Dan Shonka over at Ourlads has him listed higher than both Pryor and Clinton-Dix and I trust Mr. Shonka as a professional Scout far more than myself. However, I've been watching highlights of of Bucannon, Pryor, Ward, and Clinton-Dix over the last couple of evenings and I don't see it. Frankly, I don't even think it's close. of the four, I put him 4th. Clinton-Dix appears to be the most polished all around Safety, but Pryor isn't very far behind and he is far more physical. From what I've seen, Bucannon is good, but he takes bad angles too much and goes for the big hit too much, sometimes leading to an embarrassing whiff. Frankly, if we miss out on the other three and Bucannon is there at 51, then I grab him, but if the Bears took him at 14, I would be wondering what the hell they are seeing. Again, I'm no expert, but like all of you, I've watched football for a lot of years and most of us can see basic talent differences. I like what I've seen from Pryor so much that he has knocked Aaron Donald off my pedistal. In fact, I think I would pick Pryor over Clinton-Dix at this point because I would love the Bears to get back to the physical monsters of the past.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I mentioned the idea of moving Telvin to S a while back, he is a rocket out there but I just don't see the loose athleticism for the position.
  13. kevperro

kevperro Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'd say there is a 85% chance or better that either Dix or Pryor are there. I doubt we need to go with Plan B unless it is in the 2nd round because someone too juicy to pass was @ 14 who isn't a safety.

Right now that "too juicy" list is pretty short in my book.
  14. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +637 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    Good call then. I wouldn't want to take him high, but if he falls to the 5th, it would be a really cool experiment; it really would. That said, there is a troubled young TE from Oregon that I would prefer as an experiment (too damn much talent to pass up at that point). I really like Smith.
  15. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'm in the Baltimore area. If the Bears picked Fuller who is a Baltimore native, it would make for some very interesting local sports talk radio.