Potential Vet FA Prospects for the #2 QB Spot..............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,879 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,183ß
    IDK. I can't say I did not feel confident watching him play. I was more in disbelief that he was not playing more like Hanie
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Out of that bunch Flynn is probably the best equipped to run Trestman's offense. I still say not very promising is it?
  3. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    Are you kidding me? Freeman? No way. I'd say the #1 most important aspect of a good backup QB is starting experience, which Freeman has. Great. The #2 is the drive and focus to learn an offense without getting reps or attention from the coaches, which Freeman does not have. He's got to learn on his own and not have his hand held by the coaches. It's what guys like McCown and Flynn did well.
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Yeah, Freeman misses the boat on virtually every criteria Trestman has set for a #2 the biggest of which is a tendency to turn the ball over. NOT doing that is one the major factors that made McCown rate as high as he did. Of course having the "Twin Towers" and Bennett to throw to didn't hurt.

He needs to be with a non-contender who needs a #1 QB very badly and who has a very patient OC.
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,340 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    379ß
    Perhaps you're misunderstanding me. I want Freeman about as much as I want a bad toothache. I can say the same for every other QB on this list. They all suck. Having to choose one is the classic "tallest midget" type discussion.

I would strongly have preferred to kept the known quantity that McCown represented but I understand why Emery wasn't going to outbid someone for him. As much as I love what JM did last year lets not forget that he was no special prize either pre-Trestman and that Flynn has been pretty much a fail his whole career other than one spectacular game. All these guys are the equivalent of choosing the least painful way to risk a slow death.

It's no secret that McCown and Flynn saw their best success when surrounded by a stellar cast of coaches and receivers.
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    FLYYYYYYYNNNNNNNN! He was horrible after he left GB because he wasn't playing in a system he knew and it's entirely possible McCown will have that problem too but $10 mil makes a lot of things easier to bear. If the Packers aren't interested I don't know why we shouldn't at least take a look unless he's asking a mint.

If nothing else he can open up the Packer playbook for us right? LOL
  7. CaptainHookShot

CaptainHookShot Rookie

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'm with BiH, Give me 'Timmy Jesus Christ Football' over any of those guys. Once we're down to our #3 we're waiting on a miracle anyways. Trestman and co. seem dedicated to giving Palmer the #2, why not give the holy ghost the #3? It would at least resolve the controversy once and for all. Or would it though, as we've been saying all along a monkey could run this offense. So wait, why again did we sign an aging, injury prone, unproven vet to a monster deal?
    If I were GM, I would have signed McCown as well, then dealt Cutler and his deal to Houston for a shot at Bridgewater or Manziel.
  8. CaptainHookShot

CaptainHookShot Rookie

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    You could do wonderful things with all that cap space, like put together a Seattle style team. Russell Wilson's salary last year: 526, 217.
    Tom Brady's first super bowl: 300,000
    Kurt Warner's first super bowl: 250,000

I know, there are plenty of big salary qb's, including two of these, to win it after inking the big deal, but does anybody really think the Ravens stand a chance with Flacco's salary? Or that you should ink the big deal before the BIG win? like we did with JCut.

Shit, Give me McCown, Bridgewater, and Tebow any day of the week over Cutler, Palmer, Grossman. That's not to say Jay won't have a good year, or that Bridgewater will be a star. In this system I think Bridgewater would be great, but we already went over this, anybody will be great, SO WHY ARE WE PAYING SO GODDAMN MUCH?
  9. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,297 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,468ß
    Problem is Timmy cannot read a Def or throw a football. kinda hard to put points on the board that way. Dude couldn't beat out Sanchez, or Sanchez's backup, screams to just how bad the Den qb's were, and just how amazing that Def played for them. Like the 04 Bears w/Rookie Orton. But that's not sustainable in the long run.
  10. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,879 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,183ß
    That's where Trestman comes in. Or maybe he is smart enough to know he can't fix him. My only point is all those guys suck and at least the guy gives you high effort, is high character, and can move the ball (on his feet anyway). I just don't like any of them and Trestman has said good things about him in the past. Just talking anyway. Trestman is going to take whoever he thinks he can do the best with, and that's the way it should be. Just wondering how this QB depth thing will work out. Somehow, I think there is a decent chance the landscape will be much different than it is today. I could be wrong and Palmer will stay #2 and we just take a development guy.
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,297 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,468ß
    he's high effort, I just don't think he's smart enough to play safe efficient football like McCown did.Non of these guys can.
  12. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    Freeman isn't the tallest midget. He's the shortest midget if the Bears are looking for a vet backup QB. You said to bring Freeman in on a one year deal and that if he sucks then cut him. That is a waste of time. He's such a poor fit for our #2. He going to want the chance at being a starter, and he's not going to go somewhere for vet minimum. And from his time in Minnesota he known for being late to meetings and not knowing the offense. Now, I don't feel Frazier gave him any time to learn their offense, and the guy has ADHD that he takes Adderall for so it's a bit much to expect him to start as soon as they did. But he's got plenty of issues that don't lend themselves to the backup role.

"Nobody in the NFL doesn't want to be the starter,"

- Josh Freeman

The kid is 26 and was a starting QB last year for three games in Tampa. His mindset is still in being a starter. To be willing to accept the vet backup role is a humbling task. Even if he takes a backup role on some poor desperate team, he's mentally not ready to be a backup. He's not going to watch every snap to take the mental rep and try to figure out where to throw the ball. He's used to getting starter snaps to learn the offense.
  13. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +911 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    907ß
    Zach Mettenberger ftw.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,340 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    379ß
    No, I was referring to signing someone to compete in camp and be cut-able if he doesn't win the job. And only in a hypothetical "if you HAD to choose..." Scenario here. There's no reason to believe ANY of these vets mentioned above would be any better than what we already have. It's just a theoretical discussion.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Oh boy, lots to comment on here.

If we sign the tallest midget with the best arm we can send him out there on Palmer's shoulder and then we'll have an 8' tall QB who can see over anyone. No batted passes either. Freeman is another Jason Campbell looking for a bigger payday then we'll want to give him and since one of Trestman's top criteria is "don't turn it over" he goes to the bottom of the class on that alone.

Looking at that list the main thing now should be for them to decide who, if anyone, has a "Chinaman's Chance" of competing with Palmer. It's not just one but several I would think. Looking it over I'd opt for Flynn because he been brought up in GB in a WCO type offense and after having gotten his big deal from Seattle he's been bounced around enough to become an NBA basketball so signing him for a minimum shouldn't be too big an issue. Mind you I'm not saying Flynn should get the job only that out of the names on that list he's one that should be considered. JMHO

I think we're looking for vet competition for Palmer here not a #3 QB. Ideally we want to carry just two QBs on the 53 man roster and keep the other on the PS for now like we did last year. We'll only need one vet backup unless Cutler gets hurt again and then if needed we can sign another vet like we did with Palmer. So the plan of attack should be to create vet competition for Palmer with the winner getting the #2 spot and the other, having learned at least some of the offense, hanging in the wings in case we do need him later on.

And then we have the opinions of CaptainHookShot who among other things believes we should sign Tim Tebow as #3, should have kept Josh McCown and traded Cutler to Houston for their 1st round pick and used it to draft Teddy Bridgewater or Manziel. Stellar GM work there CHS. Gimme an hour to stop laughing before I blow these ideas up will ya'? :14 6 6[1]:

There so much wrong with all of it that I won't even bother to comment except to say, try a dunk next time, this hook shot didn't even touch iron. :tempfall:
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    And that's exactly what any vet tryouts should be attempting to do. Palmer has the advantage of having already been through one camp and a portion of the regular season learning the offense. That alone gives him a leg up on any competitor. The #2 needs to know the offense well enough to be a competent "game manager" which is what McCown did as well as anyone in that role has for a very long time.

Whichever one or two vets we might bring in are there to compete with Palmer for the #2 slot and unless someone takes it away from him he's it. In all likelihood the third QB won't even make the 53 man roster. He'll be a prospect from later in the draft or an UDFA we'd like to develop from there. Many teams aren't keeping a 3rd QB on the active roster anymore but if they're smart they have one waiting by the phone who does have enough experience and familiarity with the offense to come in an play if both the #1 and #2 go down.

If we follow suit with what we've done in the past that's how it will workout this year too.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,340 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    379ß

Omg, I LMAO on that one. I saw that post earlier but refrained from commenting to not stoke the fire. Yeah, that was a doozy.

Apparently the Captain thought Cutler wasn't worth jack to the Bears but would somehow also command the #1 overall pick in trade. And then we would use that pick to draft Johnny "bust in the making" Manzierre or Teddy "couldn't hit a stationary locomotive on my pro day" Bridgewater.

Wow, just wow......
    • Like Like x 1
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Well you know me, and I tend to kick "sleeping dogs" too just to find out whether they have teeth or not. It's just one more bad habit I have. LOL

Yep, the old my QB isn't worth it to me but maybe you'll swap me the grand daddy of premium picks for him. LMAO. And then to think that ANY QB in this draft would be an equal of Cutler NOW, when we'd need him to be is even more ludicrous. At last count Teddy is quietly slipping back and may possibly not make the top ten and some are so frightened of his bust factor they don't even have "Johnny" Football" on their list period and still others don't even see him as a 1st round pick.

Brother pot is legal out here now and there's some really good shit around but unless CHS is getting his by mail order from here I want him to ship me some of his local growth because it must be far more potent. It's hallucinogenic. LOL
  19. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +691 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    397ß
    People don't you know to run Trestman's offense the only thing you must possess is brain power and sexy Rexy has zero of that.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    Lmaooo......that gave me a good laugh.