Potential Vet FA Prospects for the #2 QB Spot..............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Apr 5, 2014.

1. dachuckster

dachuckster
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,564ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Trestman was working with Tebow before he (Trestman) came to the Bears. I read somewhere that it was to help Tebow prior to the 2010 draft. Since Marc already has exposure to Tebow, I assume that Tebow would be here by now if Marc thought Tebow a viable option for us at QB.

• Like Like x 1
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,478ß
    Trestman is a qb whisperer, not the qb messiah, lets not get out of control here.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,203ß
    I thought about that. However, with McCown here, he had no reason to bring him over. Now the situation has changed and Tebow is working in the media. Not sure if he just thinks Tebow is a bad choice or just because getting him just may not be worth the hassle given the situation.

4. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,405ß
    Lol, that's funny and true as well. No thanks to the Tebow thing.
    That's a pretty crappy list of vet backups there none of whom are of much interest to me. If you put a gun to my head and made me pick one, I suppose I'd choose Rex but I'd do so gagging a bit. I really think from all that we know about Palmer (his size, a year in the system, Trestman seems to like him, etc) that he's the guy we are gonna end up with at #2. We need a QB in the late draft or maybe even udfa to be the #3.

5. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,478ß
    Of that list I'd take Freeman over all of them...and cry myself to sleep at night.

6. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,405ß
    LOL, Freeman on paper is probably the best choice in terms of athletic upside and "untapped potential". Problem is, the guys has sucked bad everywhere he's started. He's reputed to have a crappy work ethic, he's a turnover machine, and his accuracy blows. McCown doesn't have much of an arm either but at least the guy was a diligent student of the O and could throw an accurate short-to-medium range ball. I'd give Freeman a shot on a cut-able contract only if he blows in PS.

7. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,478ß
    have you seen rex play? I know CHICAGO told you he studied hard, but IF he did, he didn't learn much from it, and his last few years in DC/HOU were turrible! The fact that he ever started was embarassing. Rex just is not a guy that can come in cold and be ready to play.

The rest of the list isn't even worth brining up, of the 2 I'd take my chance w/the lottery ticket I've not scratched off, over the one I have, even if I do know the odds of hitting are 1 in a billion.

8. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,405ß
    Yeah, that list is kind of like choosing whether you want to die by drowning or die by fire. Every option sucks.

Green Bay kinda had the same situation last year when Rodgers went out. Wallace, Tolzien, and Flynn all blow. Let's face it, McCown was a huge exception last year, most 2nd string QBs suck. There isn't even enough competent 1st stringers to go around.

You gotta get really lucky with either a draft pick or a vet to have a 2nd string QB who doesn't lose you games.

• Like Like x 1
  9. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,478ß
    And honestly McCown played WAY over his head, and even then when you watched him play it didn't make you feel anywhere NEAR as confident in him as when you looked at his stats.

10. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,405ß
    He definitely got away with a few throws that should have been picked, no doubt, that made his stats look better. Alshon bailed him out with some great TD catches too. You're right. Instead of 13-1 TD/INT ratio it could easily have been 10-5 which is still decent for a #2.

But he did a great job of mastering the offense and staying within his limits in general I would say. He played "smart" which mitigated his lack of athletic prowess. IOW, I would call it "he played over his arm by using his head". If Trestman can coax something reasonably similar out of Palmer, that's about the best we can hope for.

Let's face it, like it or not, the O rests on Cutler going forward. He got his big money, multi-year deal and he's the starter for the next three seasons barring something bizarre changing that. If he's ever going to win a SB, this is his last realistic shot coming up. He has now a competent OL and a great cast of weapons. Emery is doing his damnest to shore up the D. Cutler has to step his game up another notch in years 2-4 of Trestman's O. That means staying healthy and improving his ball security.

Stated this before, I have no problem with Jay's ceiling of play. He has the talent and the arm strength. We have all seen him lead clutch drives and make great throws. My complaint has been with his floor. Cutler needs to RAISE HIS FLOOR. He's gotta avoid "Bad Jay" games where he melts down and turns the ball over 2,3,4 times.

A "bad game" for Rodgers is when he throws 2 picks, one of which is often on his receiver. A bad game for Cutler has generally been 3 picks and a sack-fumble. Jay's biggest stumbling block IMO is that he needs to make his bad games less bad and hopefully less often too.