Potential Vet FA Prospects for the #2 QB Spot..............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,770ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    IDK. I can't say I did not feel confident watching him play. I was more in disbelief that he was not playing more like Hanie

2. soulman

soulman Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,201ß
    Out of that bunch Flynn is probably the best equipped to run Trestman's offense. I still say not very promising is it?

3. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    545ß
    Are you kidding me? Freeman? No way. I'd say the #1 most important aspect of a good backup QB is starting experience, which Freeman has. Great. The #2 is the drive and focus to learn an offense without getting reps or attention from the coaches, which Freeman does not have. He's got to learn on his own and not have his hand held by the coaches. It's what guys like McCown and Flynn did well.

4. soulman

soulman Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,201ß
    Yeah, Freeman misses the boat on virtually every criteria Trestman has set for a #2 the biggest of which is a tendency to turn the ball over. NOT doing that is one the major factors that made McCown rate as high as he did. Of course having the "Twin Towers" and Bennett to throw to didn't hurt.

He needs to be with a non-contender who needs a #1 QB very badly and who has a very patient OC.

5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    Perhaps you're misunderstanding me. I want Freeman about as much as I want a bad toothache. I can say the same for every other QB on this list. They all suck. Having to choose one is the classic "tallest midget" type discussion.

I would strongly have preferred to kept the known quantity that McCown represented but I understand why Emery wasn't going to outbid someone for him. As much as I love what JM did last year lets not forget that he was no special prize either pre-Trestman and that Flynn has been pretty much a fail his whole career other than one spectacular game. All these guys are the equivalent of choosing the least painful way to risk a slow death.

It's no secret that McCown and Flynn saw their best success when surrounded by a stellar cast of coaches and receivers.

6. soulman

soulman Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,201ß
    FLYYYYYYYNNNNNNNN! He was horrible after he left GB because he wasn't playing in a system he knew and it's entirely possible McCown will have that problem too but $10 mil makes a lot of things easier to bear. If the Packers aren't interested I don't know why we shouldn't at least take a look unless he's asking a mint.

If nothing else he can open up the Packer playbook for us right? LOL

7. CaptainHookShot

ßearz ßuckz:
    I'm with BiH, Give me 'Timmy Jesus Christ Football' over any of those guys. Once we're down to our #3 we're waiting on a miracle anyways. Trestman and co. seem dedicated to giving Palmer the #2, why not give the holy ghost the #3? It would at least resolve the controversy once and for all. Or would it though, as we've been saying all along a monkey could run this offense. So wait, why again did we sign an aging, injury prone, unproven vet to a monster deal?
    If I were GM, I would have signed McCown as well, then dealt Cutler and his deal to Houston for a shot at Bridgewater or Manziel.

8. CaptainHookShot

ßearz ßuckz:
    You could do wonderful things with all that cap space, like put together a Seattle style team. Russell Wilson's salary last year: 526, 217.
    Tom Brady's first super bowl: 300,000
    Kurt Warner's first super bowl: 250,000

I know, there are plenty of big salary qb's, including two of these, to win it after inking the big deal, but does anybody really think the Ravens stand a chance with Flacco's salary? Or that you should ink the big deal before the BIG win? like we did with JCut.

Shit, Give me McCown, Bridgewater, and Tebow any day of the week over Cutler, Palmer, Grossman. That's not to say Jay won't have a good year, or that Bridgewater will be a star. In this system I think Bridgewater would be great, but we already went over this, anybody will be great, SO WHY ARE WE PAYING SO GODDAMN MUCH?

9. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,886ß
    Problem is Timmy cannot read a Def or throw a football. kinda hard to put points on the board that way. Dude couldn't beat out Sanchez, or Sanchez's backup, screams to just how bad the Den qb's were, and just how amazing that Def played for them. Like the 04 Bears w/Rookie Orton. But that's not sustainable in the long run.

10. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,770ß
    That's where Trestman comes in. Or maybe he is smart enough to know he can't fix him. My only point is all those guys suck and at least the guy gives you high effort, is high character, and can move the ball (on his feet anyway). I just don't like any of them and Trestman has said good things about him in the past. Just talking anyway. Trestman is going to take whoever he thinks he can do the best with, and that's the way it should be. Just wondering how this QB depth thing will work out. Somehow, I think there is a decent chance the landscape will be much different than it is today. I could be wrong and Palmer will stay #2 and we just take a development guy.