Power Ranking NFL Receiver Corps..................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Jun 10, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,597ß
    Power Ranking NFL Receiver Depth Charts

By: Matt Miller , NFL Draft Lead Writer

June 9, 2014

[​IMG]
    Charles Rex Arbogast/Associated Press

In today's NFL, teams are super focused on building an elite talent group at wide receiver and tight end. And with the lines between those two positions blurring, it's becoming more important to find talent that transcends positions.

The "X, Y and Z" labels are disappearing in the NFL and are no longer descriptions of a type of player. Jimmy Graham has ruined that, as he's a wide receiver playing tight end. Consider that players such as Calvin Johnson and Mike Evans are built like tight ends, but they can line up anywhere on offense; you see what NFL defenses must deal with on a play-by-play basis.

But which NFL team has the best collection of talent heading into the 2014 season? Forget the tight end and wide receiver labels, we're talking straight-up talent at the pass-catcher positions?

Basing the rankings on past success, predraft rankings for rookies and expected impact and development (as well as suspensions), here is a look at which teams have the most talent collected at wide receiver and tight end.

Begin Slideshow ; http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2091082-power-ranking-nfl-receiver-depth-charts
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,597ß

8. Chicago Bears
    [​IMG]
    Nam Y. Huh/Associated Press

Starters: Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffery, Martellus Bennett (TE)

Key Reserves: Josh Morgan, Eric Weems, Marquess Wilson, Fendi Onobun (TE)
    The Chicago Bears are in a situation very similar to the Atlanta Falcons—their top-end talent is elite, but the depth here is a question mark.

The Bears have two great receivers in Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery, and even their tight end, Martellus Bennett, is a very good receiver and blocker. But behind that first group, you won't find an established player threatening defensive coordinators.

The team hopes Marquess Wilson emerges, and it'll give Eric Weems and Josh Morgan every chance to win that third receiver spot, but if you're wondering why the Bears aren't ranked higher, look past the starters and you'll see why.

Give our history at the position I suppose that being ranked 8th should be a nice surprise but when your WR duo was ranked best in the NFL last year there's a feeling that we should rank higher. It all comes down to the depth we have and how well players like Wilson and Onobun show up this year. Without a doubt those are two guys we need to prove they are up to handling their position at this level. Another guy who could help tremendously is Chris Williams if he can prove to be a dangerous big play threat on offense as well as on Special Teams.

Given the play of Bennett and Morgan's experience both as a receiver and a blocker this ranking may be a little conservative but without showing that we have depth all the way down to the #5 WR and a good backup TE I guess we're stuck where we are.
  3. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,887 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    889ß
    9. Falcons
    8. Bears
    7. Washington
    6. Lions
    5. packers
    4. Saints
    3. Colts
    2. 49ers
    1. Broncos
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,385 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    806ß
    It's what we've been saying all off-season. The Bears have only 1 TE on the roster who can catch a football (Bennett).

I'm not worried about the WR depth. I think we'll be fine because we have guys who can catch a football. But unfortunately we have zero depth at TE. Onobun is K.Davis all over again. Stone hands guy. And it's not as if he can block to make up for the stone hands. There is a reason why he's on his 6th team in 5 years.

I'm just frustrated we don't have a better backup to Bennett. I understand backup receiving TE's are not easy to come by now. But surely we can do better that Fendi.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,597ß
    I don't believe it's Onobun's hands that are the problem. I think it's his focus and concentration once he gets into a game. Last year in OTAs and camp he was catching everything they threw at him. It was during a game or two when he had a couple of key drops but he also had some catches. Overall I think he's a better prospect than Davis ever was but this is his last chance to make an NFL roster. We could use another vet to compete but the pickin's are slim right now.