Practice squad will be increased this year...

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by butkus3595, Aug 18, 2014.

1. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +566 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    269ß
    From 8 to 10 players. I like it...gives teams a chance to stash more players for development. Next rule change the commish should make is to let all 53 players on a roster be active on game day...I never understood that rule!
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,537 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    723ß
    That's good. First roster cuts down to 75 are on the 26th. Final cuts are on the 30th, but with 10 they can keep on the PS, the effective final cut is only 12 players although 10 of them will be on PS rather than the regular roster.
  3. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +735 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    700ß
    We have better depth now than we have had in a while. Do not be surprised if other teams start picking up some of our PS hopefuls. We have gone from hunter to hunted, not a bad thing.
  4. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,130 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    477ß
    Seems odd that they would change this rule for this year so close to the deadline.
  5. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,516ß
    NFL Adding Rule To Rosters

by Dennis Amo 4h ago

In a rule change that could take effect as soon as next week, the NFL is in the process of possibly creating 64 more jobs for players within the league. The NFL is looking to expand the practice squad so that teams will be allowed to increase their practice squads from 8 to 10 total players.

With each team adding two more practice squad eligible players, this is creating 64 more jobs, technically. Where it hurts is the older veteran free agent players that are not considered eligible for the practice squad and in turn would have to compete against 2 or more in house players for those spots.

This move will allow teams two more players that are up and coming youngsters on their overall rosters, which will also allow for a deeper reserve for teams with players that know their schemes already.

If an injury occurs, 2 additional players to choose from with little to no time to get up to speed could really make an impact for some of these teams.

As of right now this rule could be ratified by next week. As it stands, the first cut for rosters is coming in a week. Teams have to have their rosters down to 75 players by 4pm Tuesday Augusts 26th and then ultimately down to the 53-man roster by the following Saturday at noon. On Sunday, August 31st, teams can begin to sign their practice squad players so this rule needs to be passed and in effect in 12 days.
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,516ß
    Although it may not seem that big of a deal this is actually a fairly monumental move in my opinion.

Traditionally teams have had to stock their PS with players at certain positions in order to have enough of the right type of player to practice against. Adding two additional players means teams will have more flexibility in that regard.

To me this also makes sense in an era where the salary cap dictates the 53 man roster as it does. Only the top 51 salaries are counted towards to the cap but those salaries must still fit in under the cap and leave teams enough flexibility to deal with injury issues or other contingencies during the season.

In addition to having a larger group more game ready players to draw from any player on the PS is likely to be receiving an NFL minimum salary so he can be added as an injury replacement with no cap ramifications. The biggest risk is still getting good players who just aren't ready to play yet through waivers and onto the PS but once their they're relatively safe from poaching.
  7. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +203 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    Good find Soul. Thanks for sharing. I was wondering if this would affect the cap but I guess it's a non-issue.
  8. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +566 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    269ß
    I posted this this morning.
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,516ß

It is. They're either not one of the top 51 or they may even bump someone who is if that player is released during the season.

The think I'd like to see them change R is allowing teams a cap credit for a player whose put on season ending IR. When that happens it's a dead salary and cap issue that teams could probably use some relief from.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. MikeV

MikeV Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    32ß
    I'd like to see the practice squad be changed to a permanent spot on the team...kind of like a minor league deal where you can move players up and down during the season. I think it would help with long term development and stability. Give the players on the practice squad a game check so that you are not crippling the players earning power. I would still be ok with players needing to clear waivers after final cuts before teams are able to establish a practice squad.
  11. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 8m
    In memo to teams on expanded practice squad (now 10 players), NFL now allows teams to have up 2 PS players w/no more than 2 accrued seasons

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 8m
    So you could now have a player with 32 reg season games over 1st 2 seasons eligible still for practice squad in 3rd year...

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 7m
    Also, it will now require 6 games spent on a practice squad to count as a practice squad season. It used to require only 3 games

This is good! It gives the Bears flexibility with guys like Bass and Washington.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,516ß
    Bears: 'Practice' makes perfect as NFL expands practice squads

[​IMG]

The NFL and Players Association have agreed to raise the limit on practice squad players for 2014-15, from eight to 10. The developmental squad will return to a maximum of eight after 2015 barring the expanded number being made permanent. The change could be good news for a handful of NFL hopefuls who will be in roster squeezes in the coming couple of weeks.

The added flexibility could come in handy for the Bears. Rookie quarterback David Fales will be a difficult “keep” on the 53-man roster as a third quarterback, and rookie linebacker Christian Jones faces an uphill climb to the final roster because of the stock ahead of him. Former Northern Illinois quarterback, now running back, Jordan Lynch will not factor into the final 53 but could be a practice squadder because of his versatility.

Rookie tackle Charles Leno Jr. has shown promise but the Bears have stocked up on backup tackles with experience (Eben Britton, Michael Ola, Dennis Roland) and Leno has not made an impression at the starter level to this point.
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,516ß

Yeah well I can't read blocked content so I had no idea it was already posted. Now back to blocking.
  14. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +566 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    269ß
    Really? You blocked me? That seems silly. For what?