Pre Camp Best Guess at Final Roster

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Jul 2, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +498 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    322ß
    I have it down to 54 players, need to be at 53. The Qty column represents the number of players I expect us to keep at the position. Those colored in red represent where I believe the last roster spot will come from to get us to the 53 man roster. Could use a TE as a FB again so FB highlighted.

Couple pts of interest though. Yellow is presumed to make the roster, Pink is best guess to make the roster and grey is Practice Squad. In pre post mode not showing CB Louis-Jean and Trice whom I think may be going to the practice squad. All along I presumed Hayden would make the team at CB, looking at his age I wonder if we will opt to keep a younger player and let Hayden go. Camp will be critical to Hayden and CJ Wilson and Demonte Hurst. Only 1 of them will probably make the roster as I suspect Frey will make it.

The Linebackers will be interesting also. Greene may be on the bubble with UDFA Jones. Last point is I have 8 players grey for PS but only 5 can actually go to PS. If we only keep 2 MLB's then a player like Lattimore would have to go to the PS to back up the position. Camp will be interesting below are my pre-camp thoughts

PositionQtyRoster Total
    QB33CutlerClausenPalmerFales
    RB36ForteCareyFordDraughnLynchPerry
    TE39BennettRosarioMulliganMiller Mastrud
    WR514MarshallJeffriesWilsonMorganWilliamsWeemsTolliverBellamy
    C216GarzaDe la PuentaBoggs
    OG319LongSlausonGroyDunbar
    OT524BushrodMillsBrittonOlaLongLenoBooth
    FB125Fiammetta
    DT530RatliffPeaeaFergusonSuttonCollinsDunnPegues
    DE535AllenHoustonYoungScottBassLaneWashingtonRobertsonMerrell
    OLB439BriggsMcClellanSennJonesGreene
    ILB241BosticWilliamsFranklinLattimoreO'Neill
    CB647JenningsTillmanFullerFreyHaydenWilsonHurstLouis-JeanTriceMcMannisPurdy
    S451MundyVereenConteWilsonJenningsMcCraySteltz
    LS152RempellHartson
    P153O'DonnellWay
    K154Gould
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,480 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    299ß
    3 qb's: Cutler, Clausen, Fales(unless he looks horid in pre season won't last on to or on PS)
    5 rb/fb Forte, Carey, Fiametta, Draughn, Lynch (going long shots here I'm not sure the team is as sold on Ford as the fans are).
    3 te Bennett, Rosario, Mulligan
    6 wr Marshal, Jeffery, Wilson, Williams, Morgan, Toliver
    8 OL Bushrod, Mills, Long, Slausen, Garza, DLP, Britton, Long
    9 DL Allen, Houston, Ratliff, Paea, Sutton, Ego, Young, Bass
    7 LB Briggs, DJ, Shea, Bostic, Green, Sean, Jones
    5 CB Tillman, Jennings, Fuller, Frey, Hayden
    4 S Mundy, Vereen, Steltz, Wilson
    1 LS Harston
    1 K Gould
    1 P O Connell

PS Perry, Groy, Leno, Dunbar, Lattimore, LJ, Trice, Corny(I believe he's still able).
  3. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +498 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    322ß
    I will be surprised they let Nate Collins go, so I am leaning towards 10 on DL.

Interesting no Palmer.

Yeah the interchangeability of the OL will probably be where the 54 goes down to 53 as I had posted. Think they like Ola and some of the rookies though. Will be interesting if Joe Long makes the squad over a rookie.

Really be surprised they keep 4 RB and FB/ Its probably the only way Lynch sticks but who knows at this point.

Originally I had 5 at CB as well but last yr we had six and lots of young talent there so this will be a good one to watch also I believe. Especially knowing Tillman is probably gone after this yr. Playing Nickel so often it only leaves 2 on the bench. Maybe Vereen is interchangeable in case of emergency.
  4. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,470 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    708ß
    Tough to call this early but right now I'd see it like this.

Offense: (24)

QB: Cutler, Palmer, Clausen (3)
    RB; Forte; Carey, Ford (3)
    FB; Fiammetta (1)
    TE: Bennett, Rosario, Mulligan (3)
    WR; Marshall, Jeffery, Wilson, Morgan, Williams (5)
    OL; Bushrod, Mills, Slausen, Long, Garza, de la Puente, Britton, Leno, Ola (9)

STeams; (3)

PK; Gould (1)
    LS; Hempel (1)
    P; O'Donnell (1)

Defense;

DL; Allen, Houston, Young, Scott, Bass, Paea, Ratliff, Collins, Sutton, Ferguson (10)
    LB; Briggs, Williams, Bostic, McClellin, Senn, Jones (6)
    CB; Tillman, Jennings, Fuller, Hayden, McManis (5)
    S; Mundy, Conte, Vereen, Wilson, Steltz (5)

PS; (9)

Fales (QB)
    Lynch (RB)
    Miller (TE)
    Groy (OL)
    Long (OL)
    Lattimore (LB)
    Trice (DB)
    Wilson (DB)
    Dunn (DL)
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,480 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    299ß

Forgot about Collins, they are big on him, but everything I've read is they are big on Bass also, and to be honest Collins job got put on notice w/Sutton and if they do plan on using Houston at DT, even only partially, that's a 3rd body at DT, and it sounds like they plan on using Ego at DT a little also, there's 4. Then again I was going off the board though, a lot of variance on what will likely happen. I really don't believe Lynch makes the squad, just pontificating on the idea that the team didn't trust Bush to run last year, and Ford got less carries them him which means they might not like him that much either.
  6. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +580 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    134ß
    Since the great Mannelly has announced he won't come back, do the Bears really need to keep a LS on the final roster? Why not give that job to De La Puente? He will make the roster anyway. That way we can save a spot for someone else. What do you think?
  7. little bear

Ratings:
    +580 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    134ß
    QB: Cutler, Clausen, Fales
    RB: Forte, Carey, Lynch
    FB: Fiammetta
    C: Garza, de la Puente
    OG: Long, Slauson, Brown, Groy
    OT: Bushrod, Mills, Britton, Long
    WR: Marshall, Jeffery, Wilson, Williams, Morgan, Tolliver
    TE: Bennett, Rosario, Mulligan

DE: Allen, Houston, Young, Sutton, Bass
    DT: Ratliff, Collins, Paea, Ferguson
    LB: Briggs, McClellin, Bostic, Williams, Senn, Jones, Greene
    CB: Tillman, Jennings, Fuller, Frey, McManis
    S: Vereen, Mundy, Conte, Steltz

K: Gould
    P: O'Donnell
  8. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +326 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    38ß
    Gonna be quick busy at work.

Wow, so little faith in Palmer. The coaches have said it is right now his job to lose.

Groy doesn't make the 53 man roster.

De La Puenta is not a long snapper.

Lynch is definitely practice squad. I think Draughn over Ford.
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,470 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    708ß
    True, de la Puente is not a LS. That's become a very specialized position lb and not one an OL usually fills. LS are usually a little smaller LB or TE size guys. Mannelly was bigger than most but still only 265lbs not 300lbs+.
  10. little bear

Ratings:
    +580 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    134ß
    Sorry, but I'm still not sold on the guy. How can a QB with absolutely no experience as starter and only 10 complete passes for 59 yards and 2 INTs be Cutler's backup?
    :23 28 113[1]:
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,480 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    299ß
    mccown had more turn overs the tds and a sub 60% comp for severl years. there should have been more anxiety about him then palmwr or anyone else. If trestie likes palmer then i have no doubt he'll do fine...same with any other qb
  12. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +326 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    38ß
    Are you really going to hold up Palmer's two interceptions during 4th quarter garbage time in already lost games in 2008 against the guy? One interception was his second pass ever during a 3-34 route against the Ravens with 3 minutes left to go and the other was after a 3-35 ass kicking he threw a deep pass in the end zone against the Colts with 7 seconds left in the game. Who cares about garbage time from so long ago?

Aren't you more concerned about Clausen's 9 interceptions and 9 fumbles in 2010 during 10 real games? Aren't you worried that a 2nd round pick could not beat out Derek Anderson for the #2 QB spot on his team?

Look, I tout experience over rookies all the time. But when people throw this 10 completion stat around, it's like they're saying Jordan Palmer has only thrown 10 footballs in his life. It's important if a player has never been in an NFL game ever. Those first few snaps are nerve wracking. He looked good in the preseason game I saw.
  13. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +326 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    38ß
    Also, on game experience vs vet experience, it's important to see how the player's poise and control are in the game. Some guys, like Jon Quinn, who was a #3 forever, was scared shitless during the 2004 season in the 7 games he lost for us. Todd Collins did not want to be playing football when his number was called in 2010. You could see it in his body language out there he was afraid.

I did not see that in Palmer last year. I saw a guy that is clawing desperately at what is his last shot to play football, and he moved the ball well and looked in control of the offense. Kind of like what I saw in McCown in 2011 when he got to start two games for the Bears after Hanie busted out.

I need to see Clausen play football in a Bears uniform before I even think of him passing Palmer on the depth chart. I'm sure he's not the same QB that he was in 2010. I just want to see him in this offense before I consider him already the #2.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,470 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    708ß

:36 11 3[1]: He has a magic beanie copter that allows him to levitate to avoid the rush? :36 1 12[1]:
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,470 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    708ß
    As it stands I'm pretty content with either of them right now. They aren't a whole lot more of an unknown quantity than McCown was at this same time last year when some thought he was a has been. Look at what Trestman and Cavanaugh were able to accomplish with him.

Palmer and Clausen have less experience but they're also more of a blank canvas. After we see them handle the offense in some preseason games we'll know better where we stand. If Cutler goes down we're gonna be hurting anyway because about all we can expect out of any backup is to win half the games he starts and anyway I don't think we'll lose Cutler this year.
  16. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +417 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    Palmer and Clausen's battle for backup duty will come down to who responds better to the coaches and system and develops the most during camp.

Here's what I have....

QB: Cutler, Clausen, Fales
    RB: Forte, Carey, Ford
    FB: Fiammetta
    C: Garza, de la Puente
    OG: Long, Slauson, Brown, Groy
    OT: Bushrod, Mills, Britton, Long
    WR: Marshall, Jeffery, Wilson, Williams, Morgan, Tolliver
    TE: Bennett, Rosario, Mulligan

DE: Allen, Houston, Young, Sutton, Bass
    DT: Ratliff, Collins, Paea, Sutton, Ferguson
    LB: Briggs, McClellin, Bostic, Williams, Jones, Greene