Preseason game 1, news

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Aug 9, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    675ß
    http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/stor...go-bears-suffers-concussion-carolina-panthers
    Henry Melton suffers concussion
    Updated: August 9, 2013, 9:50 PM ET
    By Jeff Dickerson | ESPNChicago.com

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Chicago Bears defensive tackle Henry Melton will not return to Friday night's preseason game against the Carolina Panthers after being diagnosed with a concussion, the team announced. Melton suffered a minor injury in practice on Wednesday but was still in the starting lineup when the Bears took the field against Carolina.
    Nate Collins replaced Melton with the first-team unit after Melton suffered the concussion in the first quarter.
    The Bears placed the franchise tag on Melton in the offseason after he was voted to the Pro Bowl last season. Melton recorded six sacks and a career-high 33 tackles in 14 games. Long-snapper Patrick Mannelly suffered a rib injury covering a punt in the first quarter. Mannelly got blindsided as he ran down the field attempting to make a tackle. He will not return. Linebacker James Anderson is listed as the No. 2 long-snapper on the Bears' depth char
  2. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +282 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    21ß
    Not Mannelly!!!! :)
  3. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    675ß
    Rapid Reaction: Panthers 24, Bears 17
    August, 9, 2013
    AUG 9
    10:02
    PM CT
    By Michael C. Wright | ESPNChicago.com
    CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Here are a few quick thoughts from Chicago's 24-17 loss to the Carolina Panthers on Friday in the preseason opener:
    What it means: There's still work to do on both sides of the ball. What's most important is the team came out of the game relatively injury free while still managing to get in some much-needed work. On offense, the protection was somewhat inconsistent, which led to a sack of Jay Cutler, who also tossed an interception on the group's first play of the game. "It was an unfortunate start," Cutler said. "I have to put the ball on Alshon’s (Jeffery) other shoulder. We had some good stuff after that; we had some bad stuff. Typical preseason game. We just have to take a look at it and get better next week."
    The first team managed to gain just three first downs in three series, but there's no denying that outside of the interception, Cutler was pretty much on target with his throws. Cutler completed 6 of 8 for 56 yards and finished with a passer rating of 54.2.
    "Well, other than the pick we had, we moved the ball a little bit," Bears coach Marc Trestman said. "We got a few throws in. Jay made some great throws. We caught some slants in contested throwing areas. We got a few runs in. Matt (Forte), got a couple of catches, moved the ball around. Certainly didn't do what we wanted or up to our expectations. But other than the first play and the one sack -- we've got work to do."
    Defensively, the bad news was the group gave up one touchdown trying to defend a short field created by Cutler's interception, combined with a pass-interference penalty on James Anderson on the next play as he tried to cover former Bears tight end Greg Olsen. The Anderson penalty put the Panthers at the Chicago 4. Three plays later, Cam Newton hitBrandon LaFell for a 3-yard touchdown at the 10:14 mark to give the home team an early lead.
    The good news is the defense put points on the board with Jon Bostic's 51-yard interception return at the 6:09 mark of the first quarter. Bostic filled in for injured starting middle linebacker D.J. Williams (calf) and while it's too soon to definitively gauge his performance (that comes after film study), the showing appeared promising.
    "There were a lot of things we could do better," linebacker Lance Briggs said. "There were some things we did well. When we put on the tape, we'll all evaluate the things to improve on. All in all, when you are getting turnovers in the game that is very big."

Injury update: Long-snapper Pat Mannelly suffered injured ribs when he was blindsided on a punt in the first half. The severity of that injury wasn’t immediately known. Team officials took defensive tackle Henry Melton back into the locker room in the first quarter, where he was diagnosed with a concussion. He’ll have to follow the NFL's new concussion protocol before he's allowed to practice again. It is possible Melton could be back on the field for Chicago's next practice at training camp, but unlikely given his importance to the defense. There's no need to rush him back into action.

Webb of inconsistency: J'Marcus Webb performed inconsistently in 2012 at left tackle, and his move to the right side for 2013 wasn't promising in the first preseason game.
    During Chicago's third series of the night, Carolina defensive end Charles Johnson blew past Webb on the outside. In his attempt to recover, Webb overstepped outside, and Johnson cut back inside to sack Cutler along with Kawann Short. Don't count out Webb just yet though. It's only the first preseason game.

Second-team sloppiness: Josh McCown zipped a near perfectly-thrown ball to tight endFendi Onobun in the end zone for what should have been a touchdown in the second quarter, but he dropped the pass. On the next play, running back Armando Allen fumbled after catching a pass from McCown, with Anderson Russell recovering for Carolina at the Panther 12.
    Onobun has struggled to catch the ball throughout the preseason, but seemed to come on in recent practices after the team had brought in Leonard Pope to compete for the job. The Bears rave about his consistency, but the truth is Onobun needs to gain some level of consistently at catching the ball if he expects to make the 53-man roster at the end of camp.

Lopsided time of possession: Both teams played the majority of the first quarter with starters on the field on both sides of the ball, and the Panthers dominated time of possession. Carolina converted 2 of 5 on third down, while the Bears finished 0 for 2 in that category. The Panthers held the ball for 9 minutes, 31 seconds in the first quarter, and the Bears held possession for 5 minutes, 29 seconds.

Bostic time
    ? Not yet, but the rookie definitely showed why the Bears made him their second-round pick in the draft. In addition to the 51-yard interception return for a touchdown, Bostic was credited for two tackles and a pass breakup. He's probably not ready to take over D.J. Williams' starting job in the middle, but his play should definitely raise the comfort level of the coaching staff if the rookie is forced to play in a pinch. Bostic wasn't the only rookie to show promise. Fourth-round pick Khaseem Greene came into the game during the team's third defensive series and contributed two tackles, including one for lost yardage.

Frey maintains: Second-year veteran Isaiah Frey maintained the momentum he's been riding throughout training camp practices with a solid outing in his first preseason game. Frey took over at the starting nickel corner when Kelvin Hayden suffered a season-ending hamstring injury. The youngster hasn't disappointed.
    Virtually every day of practice at training camp, Frey has made a head-turning play, whether it's an interception or a pass breakup. Against the Panthers, Frey nearly picked off a Derek Anderson pass in the second quarter.

Briggs makes calls: With Brian Urlacher now out of the picture, Briggs has taken on the responsibility of making the club's defensive calls. Briggs said the undertaking went smoothly.
    "It went smooth. I got the call, called it out to teammates, they heard it, they received it, and they played the play," Briggs said.

What’s next: The Bears receive a day off on Saturday, before hitting the practice fields at Olivet Nazarene University on Sunday for the final week of training camp. Chicago hosts theSan Diego Chargers on Thursday night at Soldier Field for the second game of the preseason.
  4. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +299 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    44ß
    A few of my impressions...

That Cutler pick was clearly all on Alshon. Can't cut the slant and bounce outside like that, it's dumb football and leads to throws into a lot of defensive traffic. The play should have never even happened in the first place as Garza should have snapped that ball with a guy well offside for a long time, too bad Garza fucking sucks.

Khasim Greene is a Briggs clone along the LOS, sniffing out the run and hitting the lanes very quickly. Also made quality plays in the open field, but it amazed me how often he was behind the LOS as the first or second man in the thick of the action.

Bostic ... beast. Quick AND fast. Smart and instinctive. Total package.

The whole LB unit, outside of Cantstandya were great. JT Thomas wins my darkhorse trophy, tonight for his playmaking at and behind the LOS.

Joe Anderson made me a believer, tonight. He creates space regularly with quickness and flashed good strength.

Marquess Wilson needs to be kept for upside alone. Say it was against scrubs and point out a couple bad plays, he runs like a gazelle and stood out to me in open space a lot.

Frey looked good at NB< not so much on the outside. The CB depth squad all had very high highs, and some low lows, but I was mostly pleasantly surprissed with their effort.

Long was mostly dominant, but not without miss-steps. The fact that his mistakes didn't result in any really free men (well, one, but it was a compounded error because of Webb) is a enough for me to like his night. Those few plays were nothing really more than a shifted pocket, which I can deal with in a raw rookie like him. Had a couple pancakes and key run blocks, but also missed a couple men at the second level. Those are things that will come with reps. About what I expected.

James Brown, on the other hand, didn't do much for me. A couple free men got right into Jay and Josh and wasn't particularly impressive in the ground game.

Nate Collins was fantastic and Paea was quietly solid. Minter showed me he definitely has the physical ability to play in this league, he's a keeper for depth.

Washington and Josh Williams stood out in the second half. Washington beasted his man often and blew up run play off the edge. I can see why Williams has been getting rave reviews in camp. His burst is really impressive, beating his man off the snap like clockwork.

Oh-No-Bum sucks. End story. He sucks.

Unga and Ford should both make this squad over Armando if they keep running like they did tonight, IMO. I hope Harvey is okay.

EWill was so up and down. Mostly solid, but he's a terrible leader on the line with zero blitz pickup recognition skills to speak of.

Blanchard's got a bit of a gun on him. He was clearly suffering at the hands of a patchwork backup OL, but made quality throws between running for his life. A couple bad throws and a couple questionable decisions, but not bad.

McCown looked solid and confident with good decision-making. I saw exactly what I wanted to see in him, and because of that I'd like to see Blanchard get the second team reps and build up confidence behind our first OL unit.
    • Like Like x 7
  5. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +282 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    21ß
    Green and Bostic are a couple of great picks, so far. It was nice to see Slauson as the second guy at Center, but the reality is that Garza may just be the center for this year.

So Blanchard had some zip on his passes, but i hope that Cutler can be healthy the whole season (for once).

Nate Collins looked like a man among boys. I like that.

Who is Oh-No-Bum?

Wilson should have score. That might cause him a spot. If we end up putting him on the PS he might be gone. I think he needs to have an injury on the 4th pre season game.
  6. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    38ß
    Fendi Onobun
  7. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I loved what I saw from Greene and Bostic. And Josh Anderson. I was hoping to see more of Forte but I can't complain too much.
  8. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +282 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    21ß
    Papa Bear 7,
    I thought the same thing about Onobun, ( I like the nick name). He had a couple of good chances and he did not produce.
  9. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla Veteran

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Kronik, I'd rep you if I could.

I saw a bunch of impact plays out of Bostic and Greene. Haven't felt this good about a player since Conte was dragging down players faster than the defense could get there.

Blanchard really did have some ups and downs. It seems that he may be able to scramble well, just needs to better recognize when... The thing that really caught my eye though was his first series or two. He seemed to have some really quick releases in the short passing game, while the football seemed to travel in a fairly flat arc. Now, I may be reading this wrong, but that suggests a fair amount of power at least (I didn't see a lot of long throws, so I won't commit 100% to that). In conjunction with his fastest releases, I think that he might be a good fit for a West Coast style of offense. I am not guaranteeing that he will grow in to a great WCO quarter back, but am I the only one who sees/thinks this?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. CBears

CBears Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    K. Long looked good also moved well around. promising

Bostic, Greene yeah

Wilson such a free run for TD, how to step out of bounds...

Blanchard more down than up. too confused but interesting to see more of him.
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    675ß
    I'll have to find it, but I read an article that Shea was not very impressive out there tonight,

According to Cutler he misfired on his int to Jeffery, said it should have gone to the other shoulder.

Good to see Anderson impress, sort of surprised Allen fumbled, but if he cannot keep his hands on the ball, then let someone else handle it.

How did Brown and Britton look? How did Slauson do at C?
  12. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    39ß
    That is what I am wondering. The game wasn't aired in my area, so I have the replay scheduled for recording.
  13. CBears

CBears Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Slauson only one drive at center. 5x plays

McClellin at least with one big QB hit. though too late to prevent the pass.
  14. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,092 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    120ß
    From what I've read, Ric, Brown struggled. Allen and Onobun also were disappointing...As in, likely to be cut. Haven't heard on Britton (excepting a reporter saying something like "Webb must be looking over his shoulder") or Slauson.

I know it won't happen right away, but I'd love to see an interior of:
    Brown -- Slauson -- Long
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    675ß
    on a bun might well be cut, not a good camp or pre season, but don't bank on allen being cut for one bad pre season game b/c Ford whupped up against scrubs. Allen is a huge st guy also. I haven't seen anything on any one OL except Webb in their performance. I'll have to keep reading around
  16. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,092 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    120ß
    Yeah, didn't see the game so I can't say first hand. From reading reports, the OL struggled as a unit as you expect in their first game under a new system (and Carolina has a damn fine DL). Individually, Long did well but missed some blitz pickups, stuff you'd expect from a raw guy learning the assignments. Read Brown struggled too but nothing out of the ordinary. The one thing that stood out, and I don't know if this is just the media piling on cuz hes such an easy target, was that Webb was particularly NO BUENO.

The evidence is mounting in my estimation that Webb is in serious danger of being demoted from starting LT all the way to the bench. Which is fine by me if Britton is outplaying him at RT.

PS/edit:

I think we are seeing why Fendi is "Mr. Athletic" who can't seem to stick with multiple teams. He's got stone hands a k a Kellen 2.0

And Armando can't fumble and expect to stick as a #3 scat back/ST guy. Another performance like that and he's in serious roster danger.
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    675ß
    MP, when you consider he stopped tweeting and his reported struggles in camp and in the game I would guess he's got some comp, although it doesn't sound like his comp was a much better then he was. It's got to be infuriating though b/c they said last week when he played LT, he was able to stand up a guy like Peppers as if it was nothing, might have only been once but still shows what he COULD do.

I'm more disappointed in Shea though, guy needs to take the next step, and QB hurries might well be the most over rated thing people look at now a days, Sack and PD I get, TFL or Tackles I get, but ALMOST making a play? Sorry it doesn't register w/me...and by all accounts that one hit came after the qb had already cleanly thrown the ball. Shea needs to take a major jump.
  18. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    38ß
    Well, that was Kronik that gave him the nickname but I wholeheartedly agree with it! ;)
  19. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    Ric I thought Britton looked okay but Brown looked pretty bad. I'll have to watch it again but it seemed he was lost out there. JMHO
    • Like Like x 1
  20. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    That is why I believe that Greene is the PERFECT replacement for Briggs in a few years.