Pro Football's ranking of our offensive line

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,942 / 8 / -2
    18. Chicago Bears: -5.7

Stud: Of all the moves they made this year, perhaps the most under-the-radar has been the signing of Matt Slauson (+3.8) who has fitted into the offense seamlessly.

Dud: It was asking a lot for a rookie right tackle to step in and play well straight away. After a decent start Jordan Mills (-11.4) is really looking out of his depth right now.

Summary: This isn’t a line for 2013 as much as one for the future. A rookie right side is getting blooded and will be better for it going forward, but all things considered they’ll be happy after what they put out a year ago. They would have expected a bit more out of Jermon Bushrod though.

I wanna know if they're basing this off of last game. That fumble/sack wasn't on Bushrod no more than it was on Cutler. Bushrod had his guy, but there was an unaccounted for linebacker that just flew into the fuggin' backfield.
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,797 / 5 / -4
    Hell I'm still happy w/18. That is a huge jump from 32; and more then I expected to happen in 1 year.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. mdbearz

mdbearz

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    It is a far cry from last year, and I wanted to see more in the run blocking, so 18 is only slightly low. I was thiking in the 15-12 range, but as it states, our rookies are getting experience that you simply can not get sitting on the bench. PLUS we have played some of the Best D-lines in Detroit, Bengals, Steelers and Saints. While the Steelers and Saints do not have a stud DT or NT, they blitz like crazy.
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,509 / 0 / -0
    Henry, after looking at the numbers (it is confusing) they have us ranked #7 in pass protection, and #18 in run blocking. Here's the link, because I may have it wrong (LINK).

That would make sense though. The run blocking needs to get better. The pass blocking is mostly pretty good. There have been some breakdowns, but overall I'm very pleased with the OL in general, and with the rookies in particular.
  5. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,942 / 8 / -2
    That explains the heavy use of passing, then, but since both RB's are good receivers, they should have more passing formations with both of them in the backfield.
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,797 / 5 / -4
    But when they do run Forte is averaging 4.6 ypc, so the OL is doing something right.
  7. mdbearz

mdbearz

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    If you look at the third chart it describes, what direction the team runs the ball broken down into left end, Left Tackle, Mid/Guard, Right Tackle and Right end.

We are running 61% up the middle? Honestly, I'm not sure that any of our guys are the type that you would say can pancake another player , so why do we run it up the gut with Forte?

12%11%61%6%9%
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Tarkus

Tarkus

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    OL is still in the amazing category with me.

Rankings, even tho we're looking excellent in pass protection & marginal in the run, don't reflect the improvement most Bear fans see & still pleased at the growth rate. We've faced some tough D's early & are still standing.

Just a stat I don't follow yet...
    • Like Like x 1
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +826 / 1 / -0
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that Forte has ripped off a few big runs of 25+ but for much of the remaining time in games he's getting little to no gain. IOW, his ypc is skewed and looks better than it really is when most of his rushes are going for 3 or less.

Some of that has been really poor run blocking. Some of that is IMHO pretty poor playcalling/use of personnel by Trestman. I don't understand his fixation with pounding Forte up the middle so much. Bush is a way better power back. Forte, especially with marginal run blocking due to a young line, is way better working the edges and outside the tackles. He's not the kind of back that "makes his own hole" and punishes defenders. I'm disappointed the Bears haven't yet put together (except for late in week 1) a ball control run game that moves the ball methodically and keeps the opposing D on the field for long stretches.
  10. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +826 / 1 / -0
    THANK YOU! Thought I was the only one annoyed by that.
  11. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,942 / 8 / -2
    I agree. I keep saying this, but they should start using Forte in the slot on some drives, and have Michael Bush as the lone back. Forte's a damn good receiver, and putting a CB or a LB on him on short routes may be in our favor. Plus, it could help selling a pass if they start using him that way, and if Bush can get through the defensive line, he'll be moving some linebackers, too.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +826 / 1 / -0
    Paying Bush $3 million to sit on the bench is a Trestman plan I strongly disagree with.
  13. jbunch14

jbunch14

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    Paying Bush 3M per was not a Trestman plan. Trestman wants to get Forte as involved in the offense as possible, and for good reason! Right now Bushy is just an insurance policy.
  14. jbunch14

jbunch14

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    As I said before, I think the addition of Slauson may well be our best FA acquisition this year. I believe he is only 26, and he graded out very well playing for the Jets as well. Three young building blocks on the OL. If we can do the same to the DL next draft, then we will have a monster on our hands!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros SuperFan

Ratings:
    +3,335 / 8 / -0
    Maybe #18 overall, but its ranked 81,492 places above last years OL.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +826 / 1 / -0
    Well, we are running the ball not enough and not well enough (outside of a few big plays). Pounding Forte up the middle is not the way to get him "involved". That's not Forte's strength. That what you have Bush for.
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,509 / 0 / -0
    Here's what I think I'm seeing Ric. And I could be wrong. But it looks to me like Forte is getting most of those yards in spite of the OL's poor run blocking. Many plays are just blown up immediately by the defense. Not always. But far too often.

I do believe that the OL will improve their run blocking (and I'm really pleased with where they are at pass blocking at this point). I'm a "meatball fan" who wants it all :-)
    • Like Like x 1
  18. A-11

A-11

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    I would like to understand the reason behind the 61% up Garza's butt. I know I'd learn something and should before I pass judgement on it. This hasn't been a three yard and a cloud of dust offense.

Also some of that pass pro has to do with Trestman. Cutler has been playing a better game of hot potato.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost

Ratings:
    +211 / 1 / -0
    I agree with just about everything you guys have said within the cozy confines of this thread. I was really happy with the Slauson signing, and I hope that Phil will making signing him to a multi-year K a top off-season priority. I have also been pleased with both Mills and Long, considering that they are both rookies. Personally, I think that the harsh comments (in the article) on both Bushrod and Mills were a little over-the-top. It seems that the vast majority of sacks which we have given up, have come on blitzes with a RB or TE failing to pick up a LB or a CB.

I also agree with ya'll's thoughts regarding Forte. He has always been a guy who excels at running on the outside. I will be really disappointed in Trestman if he continues to try to "pound the rock up the gut" with Forte, when it clearly isn't working, for whatever reason(s).
  20. JPosh2012

JPosh2012

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    He is only 26. I would like to see us re-sign him next year as well assuming we can afford it. Then we have our O-Line of the future Bushrod-Slauson-Boggs-Long-Mills. I am happy with the progress so far but there is room for improvement especially in run blocking.