Project Starters 2014-2015

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by beardownzona, May 20, 2014.

1. beardownzona

beardownzona Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Here are my projected starters:

Offense
    QB- Jay Cutler
    RB- Matt Forte
    WR1- Brandon Marshall
    WR2- Alshon Jeffery
    WR3- Marquees Wilson
    TE- Martellus Bennett
    LT- Jermon Bushrod
    LG- Matt Slauson
    C- Roberto Garza
    RG- Kyle Long
    RT- Jordan Mills

Defense
    DE- Jared Allen
    NT- Stephen Paea/Ego Ferguson
    DT- Jeremiah Ratliff/Will Sutton
    DE- Lamarr Houston
    SLB- D.J. Williams
    WLB- Lance Briggs
    CB1- Peanut Tillman
    CB2- Tim Jennings
    CB3- Kyle Fuller
    SS- Ryan Mundy
    FS- Brock Vereen

(Note: Defense)- Bears play Nickel with 3 cornerbacks about 70-80% of the time, otherwise in the 4-3:
    SLB- Shea McClellin
    MLB- D.J. Williams
    WLB- Lance Briggs

Special Teams
    KR/PR- Chris Williams
    Kicker- Robbie Gould
    Punter- Pat O'Donnell
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +738 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    701ß
    looks about right.
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,516ß
    Yeah it does but we rotate so much of the line on defense that even the #2 guys will see a lot of snaps. The wild card at LB is McClellin. From what Emery said they want him on the field for as many snaps as possible which means he could be playing multiple positions. I think they may do the same with Fuller just to try and keep as many impact players on the field as they can.

The only two spots I can see on offense that may be subject to some real competition are that #3 WR spot and Mills spot at RT. I'm sure Trestman and Kromer will make sure those guys get pushed hard.
  4. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    I'm not really a pessimist but I'm worried about Briggs this year. He's chunky, old, and will be wearing a harness this year. Kind of worries me a bit. Nobody is really talking about him.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,516ß

Sure they are. Trestman and Tucker have said he's the only LB who has his spot locked up. LOL

I can see your concern but Briggs has always shown up in condition and ready to play in the past so until he does differently we should probably continue to expect he will again. He was out of shape when he returned from that injury last year but I guess that was to be expected. Older maybe but I don't know about too old yet because before he got hurt last year he didn't seem to be in any kind of decline.

So that kind of leaves the harness thing and I have no idea of how that might affect a player. Maybe a little or maybe not at all but no one on the coaching staff seems to be very worried about it or if they are they aren't saying much about it. But part of my rationale for getting Bostic camp and preseason reps at WLB is because he's the guy whose best equipped to replace Briggs if that injury continues to be a problem and he has to sit some.
  6. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,539 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    731ß
    Well, I can talk about him a little. He's chunky, old and will be wearing a harness.
  7. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,539 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    731ß
    Seriously though, he worries me too. All I can hope is that the guy has been a real stud for us and he knows what level he needs to be at able to perform at a pro level. As do his coaches. I would like to believe that if that level of performance is not there that neither he nor the coaches would want him to be out there.

The way I look at it is that I also have my doubts about him this year, but his performance as of this date has earned him the benefit of at least proving that he can still play. If he makes it through preseason and is still on the team, then he must be able to play at a decent level. I'm not going to worry until I see him crapping himself. Hopefully that just won't happen (although opposing players may be more inclined to steer clear of him if it happens).
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
  8. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    Not willing to nail down a long snapper? ;)
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,516ß

Still waiting on Mannelly and it's still 50/50 although the longer is goes on the more I believe he'll retire. Apparently that hip injury was more serious than we thought and maybe he wants to walk without a permanent limp.
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,516ß

Maybe they can just pump him full of vicodin and tell him nothings wrong. :rofl2:

Well it worked once before didn't it? :bah:
    • Like Like x 1
  11. beardownzona

beardownzona Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

I don't see Mills losing his starting position at RT, I believe they want to keep continuity at the line, huge improvement from 2012 to 2013.

And for #3 WR spot, Marquees Wilson has the most upside vs. the vet WRs on the roster right now. Although he is skinny, he had a great career at Washington St. until he ran into some internal trouble with the HC Mike Leach. Wilson can easily pick up Earl Bennet's job from last year and also keep in mind B-Marsh and Jeffery took him to FL to train with them this offseason.
  12. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,539 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    731ß
    It did. But now he's suing them...
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,516ß
    Already? He's not retired yet! Pre-emptive strike?
    • Like Like x 1
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,516ß
    Oh I don't either zona I just think they'll want Britton pushing him hard for that spot. We really didn't lose anything when Britton came in for him last fall so the two maybe closer in talent than we think. All it can do is help both of them.

My biggest concern with Wilson is his size or lack thereof but when they interviewed him on ITB when he was down in Florida working with Marshall and the boys he said he was adding weight and muscle so we'll see what he comes to camp at. Another 15-20lbs would be nice.

If they can teach him all of the routes like they have with Jeffery then theoretically all three are interchangeable as far as position goes. Marshall or Jeffery can play in the slot and Wilson can slide out to WR or Flanker. I'd like to see what kind of deep speed he has.
  15. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +305 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    55ß
    I think he's very motivated to get a reprieve at leading this D. I expect his best.
  16. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +305 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    55ß
    I believe they liked what they saw despite the BS advanced metrics that don't know what the line call or assignment was. He appeared to be doing a fine job keeping a clean pocket next to Kyle, IMHO.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +810 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    707ß
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000352294/article/projected-2014-starters-chicago-bears

Projected 2014 starters: Chicago Bears

Chicago Bears Projected 2014 Starters

Offense

Defense

QB

DE

RB

DT

WR1

DT

WR2

DE

WR3

SLB

TE

WLB

LT

CB1

LG

CB2

C

CB3

RG

SS

RT

FS

» Chicago's offense has enviable continuity and talent. The starting group rivals any in football, which is amazing considering that Lovie Smith was the coach only two years ago. The starting wide receving duo is the best in the league, and Matt Forte remains a top-five running back, no matter what the "Top 100" show says.

» The only new potential starter here is Marquess Wilson, who we chose as the No. 3 receiver over veteran Josh Morgan. Wilson has a higher ceiling, but Morgan is a fine fallback option.

» The offensive line, so long a source of misery in Chicago, now looks stable. Center Roberto Garza could face competition from free-agent pickup Brian De La Puente, but this group is basically the same.

» The Bears would love it if their second- and third-round picks Ego Ferguson and Will Sutton earned starting jobs at defensive tackle sooner than later. They have a chance with lackluster veterans Stephen Paea and Jeremiah Ratliff penciled in as starters for now. Chicago's run defense will hinge long-term on how quickly Ferguson and Sutton develop.

» Fourth-round running back Ka'Deem Carey figures to have a big role right away as Matt Forte's primary backup.

» 2012 first-round pick Shea McClellin is moving to strongside linebacker. He'll be on the field plenty, but probably come off in the team's nickel package. Middle linebacker remains a concern with Williams battling last year's second-round pick Jon Bostic.

» Surefire new starters on the Chicago defense: Jared Allen, Lamarr Houston and first-round pick Kyle Fuller. That number could double if Ferguson, Sutton and a safety to be named later replace Chris Conte. We project free-agent pickup Ryan Mundy to win the safety job across from Conte, but fourth-round pick Brock Vereen and free-agent acquisition M.D. Jennings are also in the mix.

--------------------
  18. dabears70

dabears70 Rookie

Ratings:
    +49 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    51ß
    I think our whole LBer core is as big a question mark as our safety position. Besides Briggs and Williams we are pretty much an unproven core and Briggs and Williams are both questions health wise.
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,516ß
    It's his ability to lead that has me more concerned then his physical ills.
  20. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,516ß
    I'm not sure how Paea and Ratliff earned a "lackluster" tag when Ratliff (a 4 time Pro Bowler) is finally 100% healthy for the first time in two years and Paea played almost all of last year with a turf toe injury that limited him. It's at least a four man rotation at NT and DT so I'm sure they'll all get snaps but expecting the two rookies to outplay the two vets well enough to get the majority of them seems optimistic to me. I never really look at that group as starters and subs. They all play.

I don't know if he's got it right with McClellin coming out when we play nickel either. Not if they expect him to be a principal pass rusher from his LB spot or anywhere else they may move him to. It seems more likely to me that they'll scheme in such a way that they can keep him in as much a possible and even move him to MLB at times. At least that' what Emery alluded to earlier this spring.