Projected Chicago Bears' Final 53-Man Roster, Pre-Training Camp Edition (CB)

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Jul 18, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +737 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    700ß
    Cornerbacks (6)

[​IMG]

Nam Y. Huh/Associated Press
    1. Charles Tillman
    2. Tim Jennings
    3. Kyle Fuller (Rookie)
    4. Isaiah Frey
    5. Kelvin Hayden
    6. Sherrick McManis
    While Charles Tillman, Tim Jennings and Kyle Fuller are all locks to make the roster this season, there likely will not be much of a competition to determine the final three roster spots.
    Tillman and Jennings will reclaim their role as starters with Fuller expected to play on the outside in nickel situations with Jennings moving inside.
    upload_2014-7-18_20-36-47.png

Isaiah Frey and Kelvin Hayden both seem like logical choices to make the roster. Frey played all 16 games last season as the nickelback, and Hayden has experience as both a starter and a nickelback; however, he is recovering from a hamstring injury that caused him to miss all of last season.
    The team kept just five cornerbacks last season, but assuming Chicago does not keep a roster spot open solely for a return man like it did last season with Devin Hester, the team may keep an additional cornerback for help on special teams.
    The likely candidate to stick on the roster is four-year veteran Sherrick McManis, who was praised by special teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis for his tackling ability.
    upload_2014-7-18_20-37-38.png

McManis has played in 27 games for the team since being traded to Chicago prior to the start of the 2012 season, registering 11 special teams tackles.
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +737 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    700ß
    I keep flip flopping on Hayden. He is 30 yrs old and unlikely to see the field this year. If Frey can outplay him for the back up nickel position I could see Hayden being cut in favor of CJ Wilson and slide atleast one of the UDFA's to the practice squad. If Hayden is just keeping the bench warm I hope we keep a younger player to groom with the future in mind.