Projected Chicago Bears' Final 53-Man Roster, Pre-Training Camp Edition (DL)

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Jul 18, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +837 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    895ß
    Defensive Line (10)

[​IMG]

Charles Rex Arbogast/Associated Press
    1. Lamarr Houston
    2. Jared Allen
    3. Willie Young
    4. Jeremiah Ratliff
    5. Ego Ferguson (Rookie)
    6. Will Sutton (Rookie)
    7. Nate Collins
    8. Stephen Paea
    9. David Bass
    10. Trevor Scott
    No position group on Chicago's roster has been overhauled this offseason quite like the defensive line.
    After the defense finished last season as the worst against the run in the NFL, general manager Phil Emery made it a point to improve not only the run defense but the pass rush.
    Emery wasted little time once free agency began, signing defensive ends Lamarr Houston and Willie Young to long-term deals on the first day of free agency. Not long after those signings, Emery struck again by signing veteran Jared Allen.
    All three immediately improve the team's ability to stop the run. Allen's presence alone should help boost the sack totals.
    On the interior, veterans Jeremiah Ratliff, Nate Collins and Stephen Paea will work in a rotation with rookies Ego Ferguson and Will Sutton.
    Ratliff and Paea are the likely starters at the 3-technique and nose tackle positions, respectively, but Collins, Ferguson and Sutton should all see ample playing time this season.
    Rounding out the final two spots on the roster are two former Oakland Raiders castoffs.
    David Bass showed flashes of his potential last season and should be able to carve out a niche as a situational pass-rusher. If he can improve his run defense, he may be able to push for more playing time this season.
    Trevor Scott has bounced around the league since being drafted in the sixth round of the 2008 draft by the Oakland Raiders. He recorded 12 sacks during his first two seasons playing both linebacker and defensive end before an ACL injury ended his 2010 season.
    He spent the 2012 season with the New England Patriots, recording three sacks, and played for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers last season. Despite being overshadowed by guys like Allen, Young and Houston, he's appreciative of the opportunity he's been given in Chicago.
    "I was very fortunate the Bears called in the offseason," he told Arthur Arkush of ChicagoFootball.com. "Everything has gone pretty smooth. It was nice to get into an offseason program this year, just learning about what 'The Bear Way' is."
    Scott does offer plenty of flexibility. He played defensive end and outside linebacker as well as contributed on special teams during his six NFL seasons.
    Scott and Bass will be competing with guys like Austen Lane, Cornelius Washington, Tracy Robertson and Jamil Merrell for the final two spots, but their experience at defensive end and special teams should nab them the final spots.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +837 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    895ß
    In my opinion he nailed it here. Those are the 10 I expect to make the roster. Like to get C. Wash to the PS just to make sure we do not give up to quick on him, from other articles I read he seems like a work in progress an be interesting if the Bears braintrust think they can get him to the next level
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

Yep, I think he nailed it too. The way I see it is you have two vets; Lane and Scott competing with one another and two second year guys; Bass and Washington. Scott appears to be the better overall player of the two and a much better pass rusher. Bass actually got on the field last year and despite rookie mistakes made some good plays while all CWash did was pick pine splinters from his ass. Nuff said.

As far as CWash being put on the PS here are the rules for eligibility. I highlighted the eligibility rule I think fits him but they'd still need to get him through waivers first. This is one of those deals to me where not keeping a vet over a younger player might ring true though. If CWash shows enough improvement in camp and preseason games to think he could contribute in the rotation soon then he may be a guy we can't easily replace with another late round pick and we keep him around.

I think we're lucky to have enough talent and depth at DE that we can afford to speculate a little on one backup DE. Bass has already shown that he can play at this level so then CWash is the gamble if they decide to take it.

Eligibility

Practice squads are considered to be for developmental purposes. Therefore, veterans are not eligible to be signed to the practice squad. In fact, players with more than one year of accrued NFL service are not eligible. Here is a closer look at the eligibility requirements.

• A player is eligible if he does not have an accrued season of NFL experience. Players gain an accrued season by being on the active roster for at least six games.
    • If a player has one accrued season, they can still be practice squad eligible if they were on the 45-man active gameday roster for less than nine regular season games.
    • A player is deemed to have served a season on the practice squad if he remains on the practice squad for at least three weeks. Players are eligible to be on the practice squad for two seasons.
    • Players can be eligible for a third practice squad season if their team maintains no less than 53 players on the active/inactive list at all times.