Projected Chicago Bears' Final 53-Man Roster, Pre-Training Camp Edition (OL)

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Jul 18, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +727 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    685ß
    Offensive Line (9)

[​IMG]

Matt Rourke/Associated Press
    1. Jermon Bushrod
    2. Matt Slauson
    3. Roberto Garza
    4. Kyle Long
    5. Jordan Mills
    6. Eben Britton
    7. Brian de la Puente
    8. James Brown
    9. Joe Long
    After struggling for years to find adequate protection for Jay Cutler along the offensive line, the Bears finally found the perfection combination in 2013.
    Jermon Bushrod, Matt Slauson, Roberto Garza, Kyle Long and Jordan Mills will likely reclaim their starting jobs this season, while Eben Britton and Brian de la Puente appear to be locks as backups. That leaves a handful of talented players to fight for two openings.
    While the team added competition when it drafted Charles Leno Jr. in the seventh round and added undrafted free agents Ryan Groy and Cody Booth, James Brown's versatility should help land him a backup role in 2014.
    One of the final spots will come down to a competition between tackles Michael Ola and Joe Long.
    Long spent time on the 53-man roster last season, and the team appears to be high on him and his abilities as a backup at left tackle. The brother of St. Louis Rams left tackle Jake Long, he has the athleticism for the position but is still very raw and needs to improve his technique.
    After Ola worked out for the Bears last December, according to Michael C. Wright of ESPNChicago.com, they claimed him off waivers from the Miami Dolphins this past May.
    Ola started five games for the Montreal Alouettes of the Canadian Football League in 2012 with current Bears head coach Marc Trestman at the helm.
    Just like Brown, Ola has the flexibility to play both guard and tackle, but because of Long's potential at both tackle positions, he will likely get the nod.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,341 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    I agree with the 5 starters returning. Garza is a weak link, especially run blocking. Mills will probably be the starting RT, but he needs to get better. The OL needs to get better overall too. A lot of folks think the OL was "fixed" last season, and it certainly was improved - no question. But it is not fixed by any means. I believe the pass protection was definitely improved, but the run blocking looked just as dismal as in recent years. Forte was able to make his yardage largely on his own, as he has for years here in Chicago. In short yardage situations there were still too many times when we simply couldn't convert due to there being no holes opened up and the OL getting stuffed.

I also believe that part of the reason the OL looked better was due to Trestman getting our QB's to get the ball out quicker rather than Cutler holding onto the ball and taking stupid sacks. The offense was more OL-friendly with Trestman's play calling.
  3. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,845 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    816ß
    Any reason why you broke this article up when it was already posted a few hours ago?
  4. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +727 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    685ß
    Did not see this one posted. Saw one from Michael Wright posted but he has a different opinion. As far as breaking it up, Bleacher Report has each on click the next button by position and it was easier to break up then put in one long thread. Figured it would be easier to discuss each postion in more detail than having it all in one.
  5. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +727 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    685ß
    I agree with all his picks with exception of Brown and Long. I expect atleast one of the rookies to make the team Leno or Groy, suspect Ola will make it also.
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,943 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    945ß
    2 of those guys will end up on PS though, possibly all 3. Actually I think Boggs and Brown are on the outside of the group.
  7. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,845 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    816ß
    No worries. Was half asleep when I posted that.

More threads about the same topic by different writers gives more talking points. More views and all.
  8. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,502ß
    As usual it's only the bottom third of the line where the question marks reside and until he get some reports from camp or see some preseason games it's tough to know who'll fill those last two spot. The first seven should all be locks. I agree that 9 total is the correct number though.

As far as the run blocking goes we should see a major improvement this year now that they're playing their second year together in that scheme. Zone schemes like Kromer uses take longer to gel because of the timing and coordination needed. I think that's why Tice avoided them in favor of his straight on mano a mano way of doing it and of course that didn't work because he didn't have the players to do it with.

A zone scheme fits this bunch much better especially when you have an OG with Longs kind of athletic ability. Bushrod and Mills fit that scheme better as well and eventually de la Puente will if he starts next year. They didn't run block all the poorly last year they just didn't do it all that consistently but they were learning a new scheme so that might be expected.