Projected Chicago Bears' Final 53-Man Roster, Pre-Training Camp Edition(WR)

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Jul 18, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +829 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    876ß
    Wide Receivers (6)

[​IMG]

USA TODAY Sports
    1. Brandon Marshall
    2. Alshon Jeffery
    3. Marquess Wilson
    4. Josh Morgan
    5. Chris Williams
    6. Eric Weems
    After receiving Pro Bowl honors last season, Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery will once again be Jay Cutler's main targets in 2014.
    While Marshall and Jeffery saw all of the attention last season, the Bears will look to integrate second-year man Marquess Wilson into the offense.
    Wilson's role should expand with the team's release of veteran Earl Bennett earlier this season, and head coach Marc Trestman is looking forward to seeing him in the offense. He told the media as much at the NFL owners' meeting earlier this year, via Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune:
    I think he showed that we can work with him and develop him. He’s got the football intelligence that we’re looking for and the ability to be flexible within the offense. He was consistent. So we’ll see how it goes. We’re not anointing people at this point in time. He’s going to have a chance to compete and be a part of what we do after Alshon and Brandon (Marshall). We’ll see how it goes. We’ve got a long way to go but we like (Wilson) and we’re excited about him to develop him and work him.​
    If Wilson should stumble in training camp, veteran Josh Morgan appears to be the next logical choice to overtake the third wide receiver position. In six NFL seasons, he has caught 199 passes for 2,488 yards and 11 touchdowns. 2010 was his most productive season, as he corralled 44 passes for 698 yards and two touchdowns.
    Not long after signing with the Bears, Morgan was arrested on charges of assault in Washington, D.C. He pleaded not guilty, and when asked by Patrick Finley of the Chicago Sun-Times if the situation had been taken care of, he responded, "Pretty much. It is over with."
    Both Chris Williams and Eric Weems provide the team with more-than-capable kick returners; they also have experience in all phases of special teams.
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +829 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    876ß
    Not sure we will keep 6 WR's but keeping Ford at RB, Weems and Williams at WR gives up some punt and kick returners. Morgan is pretty much a lock to compete with / or back up Wilson. This decision on 5 or 6 will be interesting and Tolliver is another big WR who is not even mentioned. Strange
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I don't see the need to 6 WRs especially not two whose main job will be on STeams. This is another area where we can keep fewer, use the PS for some depth in case of injury, and have the flexibility to keep that seventh LB or third TE if he's a much better player or prospect than Weems.

To my way of thinking he's a wasted roster spot and I can't see them keeping him even as a coverage guy and backup PR/KR over others like Senn and McManis a LB like Greene or a TE like Mulligan. If it comes down to a numbers game his number should be up. I don't see him as useful player at all anymore.