QB Jerrod Johnson & C Taylor Boggs - maybe one of these guys will be solid.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Jan 30, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Today I went back and read what I could find on these two. Boggs must show Kromer something good, or he wouldn't still be here. Maybe they see him as our center of the future and they have no intention of drafting a C this year. Johnson could be the young "project" QB that Trestman sees worth developing. We assume the project QB and the C replacement for Garza, are both going to be draft needs. And certainly that may be so. But then again, we could have one of these needs already met on the existing roster - or heck, maybe even both guys stick. Here's some info on them from past articles:

Here's the article on Jerrod Johnson the Texas A&M QB:

2. riczaj01

riczaj01

Boggs is a UFA so he's not here right now.

Johnson has a 2 yr contract so it's possible. He's also the "ideal size" that Emery feels is needed in todays NFL to see over the OL, but he's now on his 6th team, w/a few minor league stints and not exactly what anyone would call accurate. I wouldn't call this a high ceiling guy and if this is who they are pinning their hopes on, they he better have a McCown like turn around.
  3. little bear

little bear

I gotta say I'd rather draft a young QB in the late rounds or even pick one up as UDFA than sticking to Johnson who's been with seven teams in just three years and has never made it to the final roster. He's got great size, but that's about it. But hey, I'm not Trestman. If he thinks he's good enough to keep around so be it.
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

I didn't realize that about Boggs. He's still listed on the Bears website as being on the active roster. If he gets re-signed then we'll know they must see something promising in him. Johnson apparently had shoulder surgery that required him to change his release mechanics, and consequently was a long term project for those teams who released him. They probably couldn't keep a roster space for a guy like that.

He may not be worth anything, but due to Trestman being good with QB's, if they would keep Johnson on the team as our #3 and they don't draft a QB, then that would seem to indicate Marc Trestman sees something there. I'm always wondering what Emery, Trestman and Kromer REALLY think about the various players. I have no clue & just end up wondering.
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01

Lil' B, I read up on him w/Sea the statement was "...started out great and flamed out..." and "...cut to make room to keep Tavaris Jackson..." How bad do you have to be to be cut to keep TJ?
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01

It's possible, again he resurrected the ashes of McCowns career, no reason not to think he couldn't do it w/this kid, but for the same amount of time and money I'd perfer they draft someone w/legit potential.
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

And they might do that (draft a QB and release Johnson). Who knows what they see in him. He may have just been getting a closer look by Trestman and nothing more than that. Obviously, changing a QB's mechanics is pretty major. And actually Blanchard looked improved prior to the injury. Is he still unsigned by another team? Regardless, it will be very interesting this off-season, and not just with who we sign. In cases like Johnson, it will be interesting if we don't draft another QB.
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01

Blanchard is under contract this year w/the Jags.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68

Boy, you know there's NOTHING going on when we are actually talking about Jerrod Johnson being anything more than a camp arm. LMAO, no way.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen

Boggs is a ERFA.

Quick blurb from Ask The Commish about ERFAs:

"There is one other kind of free agent, which isn't really very "free" at all. That is the Exclusive Rights Free Agent (ERFA). Such a player has no more than two accrued seasons in the NFL and may only sign with his prior team, provided, of course, that the team extends a minimum qualifying offer to the player."

The Bears own Boggs unless they don't want him.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

I realize a lot of people write off guys like Boggs because he wasn't drafted. But sometimes an undrafted guy works out. The best center we ever had in the Super Bowl era was Jay Hilgenberg. He went undrafted, but ended up being a 7-time Pro Bowl player at center. I'm not saying Boggs will be good. But you can't automatically write a guy off just because he's not a 1st round pick - like the mighty Shea McClellen :)

Kromer is supposed to be a solid developer of OL talent, and Trestman is supposed to be the same, with QB's. So you never know what THEY see in "project" players like Boggs & Johnson. They may see something we don't. Something worth keeping and developing.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen

What I like about Boggs now is that he did get a full season active as an understudy. It's rare that coaches do that unless they see something in a player. He is 26 years old, and has been working with Bentley for some amount of time. He looked okay in preseason, so maybe Kromer is once again manufacturing a center like he did with De La Puenta.

Hopefully this works out better than when Tice became enamored with J Webb and forced that oaf upon the team for three years. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  13. butkus3595

butkus3595

I wonder how much Evan Dietrich-Smith would cost on the free agent market.
  14. MPbears68

MPbears68

I have hope that Boggs may become a serviceable C or even just a decent backup. Quite a few C's were drafted late or not at all. I also wouldn't mind picking up another C/G prospect in the late draft in case he doesn't pan out (prob depends upon whether or not they bring Garza back).

JJ though is camp fodder only at this point. If Mc doesn't come back (and maybe even if he does), we should look hard at drafting a backup QB.
    • Like Like x 2