QB rankings post-combine. Any mid to late round guys you like?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Mar 7, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,375 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,370ß
    I'm all for drafting heavy on defense, but if one of these QB's would drop to us in later rounds, is there one you'd like to see us draft? There could be a quality prospect available to us later in the draft. Maybe a guy Trestman could work with to be a quality - and affordable - backup to Cutler a year from now.

2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,375 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,370ß
    It looks like 6'6", Logan Thomas from Virginia Tech, could be available for one of our two 6th round picks. He's definitely a project, but maybe this is the kind of youngster Trestman can help develop.

LINK
    "A well-put-together athlete and looks the part with a tall, long frame. Physical runner and not afraid to lower his pads, making it like trying to bring down a tree trunk with his finishing toughness. Above average arm strength to quickly load and fire with effortless velocity to get away with flat-footed throws. Strongly-built and stout in the pocket to shake off defenders and bounce right back up after hits. Good quickness and scrambling ability to make plays with his legs (1,359 career rushing yards). Appears calm and under control in the huddle and stays even-keeled despite mistakes. Toughs out injuries and will play through pain. Good head on his shoulders and displays natural leadership traits. Has developed thick skin and mental toughness. Several school-records, including consecutive quarterback starts (40), career completions (693), career rushing scores by a quarterback (24) and career passing touchdowns (53)."
    • Like Like x 1
  3. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,308 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,827ß
  4. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I can't really say until I see what our needs are but other than filling and back filling the defensive holes you have to think some OC might attract them from the 4th on down. I think the first three guys should be defensive players if they can find the right guys in the right spots.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,795 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,992ß
    The guy has the height and frame that Emery/Tresticles wants, so if they are looking for a project to mature 2-3 years down the line this guy is as good as any. The 4th-6th rounds should be going BPA to try and backfil any holes on O or D, and a young qb is defineately a hole.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,150 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,478ß
    No to Logan Thomas, he's just another Vince Young 2.0.

If you want somebody with great size, Zach Mettenberger is your guy. I'd also a take a closer look at Wyoming's Brett Smith.
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,795 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,992ß
    The team could do a lot worse then a young VY molded by Trestman who has zero weight of having to carry the weight of a top pick on him and the franchise on him.
    I wouldn't mind Mettenberger either, but I don't know the team can afford to get him where I think he might get grabbed.
    Smith is not the "ideal size" that Tresti and Emery have talked about, if you are looking at smaller guys then there is a list of them I would take over a guy that played in Wyoming, TBoyd who played for Clemson and Pachell from TCU are both worth looking at if 6 ft is the marker
    • Like Like x 1
  8. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +971 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,217ß
    Logan Thomas is suppose to have a good arm and terrible foot work, easily fixable with good coaching, I have been watching him as well and he will prob. be there in RD 6. I think he makes a lot of sense in Rd 6. With or without McCown as he could be on the Scout team his first yr and hopefully be a good back up for a few yrs. When Cutler is done he would hopefully be ready to step in. I know I keep saying hopefully but anytime you take a player in rd 6 there is going to be a lot of "hope"fullies.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Bear_40

Bear_40 Veteran

Ratings:
    +62 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    106ß
    Aaron Murray would be perfect in our system. The kid is a winner.
  10. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    38ß
    Murray or McCarron

McCarron played in a pro system already and would transition well in trestmans system
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,375 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,370ß
    I thought the same thing BSB. This is the kind of raw talent that Trestman can work with and develop. There are 2 or 3 guys in this draft who will be taken in the late rounds, that look like they'd be worth Trestman's attention. Thomas has mechanics and footwork issues - but the raw talent looks very impressive. We are blessed to have a head coach who can develop QB talent. I can't wait to see him latch on to one of these youngsters and develop a QB like this. When was the last time we've seen a QB developed in Chicago? It's certainly been awhile.
  12. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    72ß
    I agree 100%. I just hope he's still there for us in the 6th rd. I don't see us drafting a QB before then. As we all know, too many holes to fill.
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,375 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,370ß
    And we have two 6th round picks in this upcoming draft. If a solid QB drops into our laps in the 6th (and I could DEFINITELY see this happening) then I hope we do this. It just seems like a great draft for Trestman to pick his "guy" to develop. As Ric pointed out in an earlier post, there won't be the pressure of a top draft pick on this guy. Fans would expect him to simply be a youngster for Trestman to teach and develop for now.......no throwing him into a starting role if we have a vet #2 backing up Jay. I am really excited that the Bears have a guy who can develop QB talent (in Trestman). It's a precious resource to have.
  14. BearJim

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    72ß
    I couldn't agree more 99. Even if we don't draft a QB I'm sure we'll pick up an UDFA from a small school that Trestman can work with & I look forward to seeing him develop a young QB.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +971 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,217ß
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    102ß
    I forsee us drafting him, and in 2 years he will step in for an oft injured Cutty and will never sit again...Our beloved Thomas will make us a Dynasty for years to come and will never ask for more money EVER!!!!! or atleast restructure his contract.... in those Dynasty years wee will win the Big 1 at least 3 years til 2020....that is for you JABF!!!! He will be our Brady:23_13_7v[1]::23_28_100[1]::4_17_208[1]::7_4_14[1]:and :5_3_1[1]:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Bear_40

Bear_40 Veteran

Ratings:
    +62 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    106ß
    With him coming off an injury, I can see Murray being there.
  18. BearJim

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    72ß
    A few other QBs worth looking at late that I like:

1)Tom Savage Pitt 6'4" 228 LBS

2)Dustin Vaughan West Texas A & M 6'5" 235 LBS

3)Bryn Renner NC 6'3" 225 LBS

19. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    38ß
    I like Savages footwork, id like to see a better release (quicker)
    • Like Like x 1
  20. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +971 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,217ß
    I hope you are right. Nothing against Cutler, I like him but he is Tier 2, If are next QB replaces him in 2 yrs he would have to be a TIER 1 QB and I am all for that.
    • Like Like x 1