QBR is NOT a better indication of play than Passer Rating

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    431ß
    [​IMG]

Peyton Manning just tied the all time mark for QB's, Andrew Luck played against the worst secondary in the NFL, and Jay and Andy each had a good game, but better than Manning's performance? LOL
    • Like Like x 1
  2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,957 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,013ß
    When the formula is too hard to understand, it is not worth using :D
  3. MikeGolf97

MikeGolf97 Rookie

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    Some crap ESPN put together and tries to push down peoples throat, everyone else uses old system.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MarkBear

MarkBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    82ß
    That is very sexy....
  5. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    The only rating that really counts is games won vs games lost. Most of the rest is just fluff the stats nerds love to compile.
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,089 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,172ß
    I liked the idea behind QBR, but it just doesn't work. What really needs to be done is a recalculation of the passer rating.

wins and losses are a "team" stat and give no indication of how well the qb played or anyone else. You have to use individual stats to look into how well they played in those wins and losses.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +656 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    256ß
    Yup. When the ball hits the receiver in the hands, why should the QB rating suffer? Problem is, somebody has to sit down and manually review every play to assign +/- to the QB vs. his receivers etc. and that can become very subjective.
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,089 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,172ß
    But if that is all that the QBR did, and not try to assign importance of qtr and being up or down on the scoreboard then the qbr would actually be better b/c that's what they do anyways.

Problem w/QBR is they went to far and it's very subjective. If the QB throws the ball out of bounds to avoid the sack, or to kill the play, then it's really not a pass attempt. Simple, take the subjectivity out of it, if the WR has it in his hands, not just fingertips, then it's on him to catch it.

Same w/Int's, if the pass gets bobbled by the WR and is int'd, it shouldn't go against the qb.

On Sun-Tues have the unadjusted passer rating, and then by thurs have the adjusted PR, and it would be awesome.

QBR just blows. Reality is, if the QB threw for 3 TD's in the 1st, then he still killed the other team or their ability to come back, and if in the 3rd or 4th that same qb throws another 2, then those TD's shouldn't count as less b/c they came in a blow out. 3 td's in the 1st are just as imporant as 3 in the 4th is all I'm saying.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    431ß
    To a certain degree, yes. However, it would be unwise to disregard everything because it's not strictly win/loss, at least in relation to the QB ratings.
    ^^^^^This. I also think agree with MG97 that ESPN's using this as a lot of "cross-self promotion". While neither system is perfect, I've always been a fan of the original rating, and, repeating what I said earlier, that Luck (played against possibly the worst secondary), Dalton and Cutler (2 players that played amazing against good defenses, but not flawless) and Kaepernick (Horrible Pack defense, hell, I think Aaron Rodgers was more impressive, TBH) are ahead of Manning is my "breaking point" with treating it as an equal to the old system(which I do believe is also flawed). Now, if someone or a group that isn't doing so for self-promotion tries to figure out a better sabermetric of total QB play, I'm open to listen to it.
    • Like Like x 1