Quarterback Controversy

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by CaptainHookShot, Oct 20, 2013.

1. CaptainHookShot

CaptainHookShot Rookie

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    If McCown comes out and runs the offense like he did today and the Bears beat the Pack, assuming of course that Cutler's injury sidelines him for more than a couple weeks, is Cutler dropped to #2?

McCown's stats for today
    comp. %70
    204 yds
    10.2 YPA
    1 TD
    0 INT
  2. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    You just might see it happen.
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,443 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    218ß
    no. nonononono.

McCown looked pretty damn good, but he also didn't look great, he threw up more then a few ducks and allowed himself to get sacked on the last play of the game instead of getting the ball out of his hands.

Cutler is 10x's the qb McCown is, and the main difference between the two this game,was Wash game planned for Cutler, not McCown. I would guess if GB has to gameplan for McCown he will not be near as effective.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. CaptainHookShot

CaptainHookShot Rookie

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The game planning point is well taken, however the assumption in the post is that GB gameplans for McCown and he still plays very good. Cutler might be 10x the quarterback but as far as leadership skills go I'll drink the haterade and say he has none. It was nice seeing McCown pump his guys up after the offsides that took his td away. I have to imagine, albeit a possible false analogy, that if the world is divided into Cutler haters and Cutler supporters, then so probably is the Bears team.
  5. kevperro

kevperro Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    It has to be whomever gives them the best chance of winning. If McCown posted a string of games with wins and the QB rating he posted today.... I'd say they would have to stick with him. Of course with the deficiencies we have on the Defense I doubt that any QB is going to post a series of wins.

I think everyone here has come to the conclusion that while Cutler is better than what we have had in the past, he isn't the long-term solution for a championship Bears team. He hasn't proven that with years of play and significant effort to surround him with the tools to succeed. I'm perfectly willing to keep him in place until we can grab another hopeful but if I were Phil I'd be migrating my long-term plans to include transitioning to another "hopeful" franchise QB.
  6. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +3,982 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    173ß
    Cutler will not get dropped if he is healthy.

If anything, Emery wants him to work for his new contract, to see what he has. If Cutler is still out when we hit Green Bay, then McCown will start, and with 2 weeks to prep, he should do ok against their D.
  7. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    11ß
    Cutler will not get dropped to #2 qb, he will remain starter when he comes back healthy.

But it is good to know that Mccown can run the offense with efficiency and manage it well putting points on the board.
  8. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    I thought Josh played well, and he even made some plays beyond 5 yards.

I think the strength of his game is that he gets the ball out with timing and anticipation. An accurate ball that is coming before the defender can react has a good possibility of being completed AND it gives the receiver a chance to make more moves.

I'm not saying that McCown is the future, because he is not, but I can see what a young QB under Trestman could look like.

Plus whether they want to admit it or not, they were forced to run the ball more with Josh and that made them more balanced.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +917 / 3 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    212ß
    Too many assumptions I don't think will happen to get to this question.

No controversy. Either Cutler comes back or we have a team warming their hands by the trash fire that is our backup QB's.