Quarterback Jerrod Johnson

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Sep 2, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,020 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,719ß
    I was wondering this morning about the QB we signed to our practice squad, Jerrod Johnson. I didn't know anything about him. In case anyone else is wondering about him, here's some stuff I found. From reading the scouting reports, he could be a perfect raw talent for Trestman to work his magic on. He's definitely a "project" who needs work on his mechanics. But if Trestman truly is a QB guru, then here is a great guy to work with. Sounds like his ceiling is extremely high.

He is 6'5"
    251 pounds (big guy)
    He's 25 years old

He played college football at Texas A&M. Johnson was Texas A&M's starting quarterback from 2008 to 2010, finishing his collegiate career ranked first in school history with 8,011 passing yards and 8,888 yards total offense.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,020 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,719ß
    Here's some video from college FWIW:

• Like Like x 2
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,579 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,781ß
    http://www.nfldraft101.com/draft/profiles/player/125466/Jerrod_Johnson.jsp

Strengths
    • Ideal size
    • Athletic, playmaking quarterback
    • Has the physical tools you look for
    • Looked like a franchise QB vs. Texas in 2009

Weaknesses
    • Has failed to live up to expectations in 2010
    • Inconsistent
    • Poor accuracy
    • Questionable decision making - too many turnovers

Like the strenghts, but the weaknesses: Poor acuracy and Poor decision making, those are not what you want in a WCO, not sure how this is the guy they need.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,020 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,719ß

All I can figure is that Trestman sees something worth developing. From reading the scouting reports it looks like the guy needs a lot of work, so maybe Trestman figures he can "fix" what's needing fixing.

I just want to watch and see if Trestman is the "real deal" with this QB guru stuff :-)
    • Like Like x 2
  5. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    If they can train on his weaknesses and he improves during this season, he would be perfect. If not, nothing is lost. See why this is his problem and if he improves on his weaknesses you keep him. If not you drop him and wait to see him in the CFL
  6. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +327 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    154ß
    JABF, u know what would be REALLY interesting to follow, if trestman would pick one of the guys from this site and made it into franchise qb, now that would be some heavy guru sh.t!
    • Like Like x 6
  7. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +218 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    Not to sound ignorant, because most people on this board are more knowledgeable than me, but why are people thinking this guy is a real project and when the hell will Trestman have time to actually 'work' with this guy? Won't he have enough to do with our actual starters preparing for the games? I would think Cutler takes up the majority of his time.

We need a QB to run the practice squad but thinking he's going to develop into something else sounds a bit far fetched for now. I believe our future QB will come from next year's draft, not this Johnson guy.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,472 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    502ß
    ^^^ I agree. I see this JJ guy as nothing but a scout team QB who's holding a place until Blanchard is available again in November. And either way, we need to draft a QB in '14.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,611 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    668ß
    Sometimes they use "practice squad" qb's as a way to practice against scrambling QB's. With the league full of them these days, it makes sense in that regard. I will say, without a doubt, I will be as significant to the Bears future as this guy, tho.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,020 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,719ß
    I agree that he won't get a lot of Trestman's time. And he may or may not be Trestman's project QB. But if you've ever seen Trestman at a practice, then you know he's ALWAYS coaching/teaching the QB's. He is the consummate teacher. He's non-stop "hands on" teaching and this guy will get some of it too, albeit it will be the "leftovers" and not a focus of Trestman's time. I realize this isn't training camp, but even if this QB is simply running the scout team, I would imagine he'll be getting some benefit of Trestman's coaching.

This is an opportunity for the Bears to kick the tires on this guy a bit. I hope we draft a youngster next year, but that isn't necessarily mutually exclusive of Trestman looking at ALL of his options, be it Blanchard, this guy, or even another young QB that might become available.

I figure this isn't Lovie Smith's offense any more. This new guy Trestman seems more like a chess master, and this particular young QB is just one more chess piece. We don't know how Trestman is going to use him, but you don't want to count him out as a just a useless piece. That's my 2-cents worth anyway.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  11. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Even if we extend Cutler in 14, IMO 2014 would be the perfect draft to draft a developmental QB in.
  12. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,579 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,781ß
    I heard yesterday on the score that JJ was dropped for the OL Derrick Dennis.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,020 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,719ß
    You're right. He's toast now. I think he was here for about 72 hours. Probably never got to unpack all his suitcases :-)

I'm just wanting to see Trestman get a young kid to develop into a QB for us. I really don't care who it is. I just want to see him get started with someone. Probably going to have to wait until next year's draft. And, that's fine too. I'm just eager to see the process begin :-)
  14. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,121ß
    Maybe JJ will be welcomed back with open arms. ;-)
  15. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,274 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    217ß
    I would tend to think the best thing to happen in all this QB/PS churning is to at most find a #3 guy. And that's ok, still would have rather seen Tolliver on the PS.