Question about our D

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by PhilM, Aug 15, 2014.

1. PhilM

PhilM Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Gentlemen,

So... quick question after watching another Bears preseason game. (And yes, I know it's preseason and it doesn't matter much at all)

BUT...

Are we STILL going to be running the "Cover 2" on defense? That would be a carry over from the Lovie years. The Cover 2/Tampa 2 is such old crap. Other teams know how to exploit it. I don't see our defense improving much if we run the same schemes as we did when stubborn Lovie went with it year after year after year.

So... anything new on the defensive scheme front? Or it is just different players/same scheme?

Thanks!
    Phil
    • Like Like x 1
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Well they did run a 3-4 on one play I noticed. Is that what you mean by new? LOL

I really hope Tucker is playing it very vanilla in preseason because I don't like this defense at all so far. Not enough aggressiveness. Still, every team runs some Cover-2 so it's not like they're the only ones doing it. Henne did a good job of getting the ball out quick and we didn't get near enough pressure on them all night long. The one time we did get a big sack Hayden got called for that bull shit penalty. The guy ran into him not vice versa. It was a terrible call. In fact there were a lot of terrible calls.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,654 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    919ß
    Well, he has had a chance to implement exactly the type and tempo defense that he wants. The talk was great, but I do not see the attacking, aggressive defense that he said we would have because of the personalities we have. We do have some very agressive types, but don;t see it on the field so far. Really not sure what the deal is. Only the second game, but if they play like this (both D and O), Seattle will light us up on both sides of the ball.
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,092 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,176ß
    Cover2 is a basic shell, there's a lot you can do w/in it. I wasn't happy to hear that was the base either, but technically Lovie ran the "lovie 2" not the cover 2, there's a lot that can be done.

I thought there was plenty of aggression, and that's actually what hurt them. It seemed there was a lot of blitzing and LB attacking which left a lot of the field open b/c of poor back 7 play.
  5. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,654 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    919ß
    Or maybe the type D we ran last year was a lot more of Tuckers D than anyone suspected. Or hopefully, we are only showing the cover 2 but at the beginning of the season we go to whatever his new style is. Not sure we can afford the stealth mode though. Whatever D we are going to play, we should be practicing now in order to get good at it.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +664 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    264ß
    The Tuckered-Out D is back but with a new wrinkle, the Tucker Tarp. Throw the tarp out there and see if anything can get covered. Problem is it's an old tarp and full of holes.

So we still have the D on the field for 90% of the first quarter, getting all tuckered out. But now we're doing it with improved talent, healthy players and a supposedly better system. Yes it's preseason, but Tucker is not impressing me. If I don't see improvement next week, I'm resurrecting the Fire Tucker banner.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,092 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,176ß
    Guys seriously, the 1st team D let 1 good run and another decent, but mostly shut down the run game. They let some passees go, but after that Weems fumble they really came to life, and if not for Hayden(who shouldn't have been out there if Fuller doesn't get hurt) they not don't give up a TD, the Jags were facing a LONG FG.

Concerns, S play other then McCrayCray I wasn't impressed. LB's in pass coverage. Those are problems, part of thoes problems are Shea and Bostic not being good in those roles, for me Briggs and DJ HAVE to be the 3 down LB's, and our starting CB's HAVE to stay healthy.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,654 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    919ß
    Well, if I had to pick just one word to describe the play, it would have to be "uninspired". I can't say the play was bad and I can't say it was good.

The thing is that if a person were shown the last two games in a vacuum (did not know what preseason week they played), I think most would say that last week was the first preseason game and the game against the Eagles was the second game. I think we had a better product on the field for the first game. JMO. Especially when you consider the level of competition. Hopefully, we will pick up next week, but we play Seattle, and they make most everyone look bad.
  9. dabears70

dabears70 Veteran

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    You guys have to take in account that we have a whole lot of new guys on the defense and it always takes time to gel when you have that many new guys playing together so expect to see some teams play good against us to start the season and hope it comes together after a couple of games. Luckily we have a offense that can keep up with teams so hopefully it will balance itself out.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

All I'm hearing today from the defense is excuses. Briggs says, "we were humbled". Allen tries to say there were ten more good things than bad things. Oh really Jared. If that was the case then why are the media and the fans questioning the defensive effort today?

It is just one preseason game. I'll give them that much.........one. If that defense doesn't pick it up next week against Seattle then maybe it is a lot more Tucker than it is the players. We couldn't have done much more as far as restocking personnel for him.

I just don't like the lack of aggressiveness I'm seeing.
  11. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,654 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    919ß
    no, I definitely agree. The players we brought in are VERY good players. Thrilled to have them. And people like Houston WANT to hit you. Just not seeing that on the field though. I never liked Tucker, but one thing I had definitely bought into was that he had not run his own defense (starting out with a top 5 defense though, I think he was better off not to anyway, but that's me...). Right now I am actually starting to wonder if he HAVE been seeing his defense all along. I dunno. Not expecting what I am seeing (or at least I was hoping that I was going to see something different), but they have a few more games to clean it up. Right now though they are still lackluster and it should not be for who is on the field.
    When the season starts, I want to see that aggressive, attacking defense he promised, or I promise that the fans will be much more aggressive in attacking him.
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  12. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,654 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    919ß
    The other thing that I have not wanted to bring up is God forbid we have any substantial injuries on the D. Fuller is hard to take, but he was not a major cog as of yet. The reason is that Tucker has shown an amazing inability to compensate for injuries. We need to stay healthy or I am concerned that things will go from decent to really bad pretty quick.

As I said before, I have not liked Tucker but still feel that the best solution is his success. If that does not happen, I am comfortable with Pas and hope that's the route they go.
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    My first question is why was Kyle Fuller covering kicks in a preseason game? During the regular season when they have a 45 player limit as far as how many can dress then it may be necessary but not now. When you have at least 60-70 others out there trying to make the team and Joe D is crying about finding guys who can play on Sunday why are they using a guy they already know can play on Sunday?

I thought Trestman was smarter than this and yet I'm seeing them still doing some of the ame dumb shit they did when Lovie was here. Does everyone recall losing Wootten for another year when he injured his knee covering a kick in preseason? The other thing that's pissing me off is watching the young LB not making any real progress. Bostic had that one great stop last night and then practically disappeared. The same with McClellin.

They need be attacking like that on every play and they're not. Two guys that are under the gun as far as I'm concerned are Tucker and Joe D. Both had massive failures on their units last year and history is beginning to repeat itself. The defense and the STeams both looked awful last night.
  14. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +375 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    looked like preseason. Situations, vanilla formations and no game planning. Getting players on tape, it is what it is.

Can't wait for a reg season game. See what these guys do with 4 quarters, coming to play with a plan of attack.

I'm liking that DL and Fuller with Jennings and Peanut could be like MSUs no fly zone. Would like to see Conte against at least some 2's. Preferably a long look all game next week to see how he performs.
    • Like Like x 2