Rapid Reaction: Chicago Bears

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,012 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    39ß
    no... I just don't think so. I keep going back to his losing his temper and mooning his players. Plus, he kept losing his temper and almost seeming unhinged at one point. Just not a guy that I think make you want to follow him. He has the passion, etc but I do not think he would be able to win many chess matches against OCs, nor do I see him as an innovator.

His biggest asset is as you say, his passion. I may be wrong, I just would rather not go with someone who so flagrantly flamed out in such a high profile manner.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +598 / 4 / -17
    ßearz ßuckz:
    239ß
    First, the decision would have to be made that Tucker is out. I agree that they aren't yet going to pull the plug on him. But if Bears do get to that point, then you have to look at who is available. No doubt there are some outstanding DC's, but Bears would be lucky to land one. So, it comes down to "best available." Singletary certainly understands NFL defenses and -- being with Vikings -- knows the division. Good leader. Good motivator. Hard worker. And one of my all-time favorite Bears. That sums it up.
  3. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,157 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    I'll take Frazier as DC and Singletary as LB coach. Not as a demotion to Singletary but to instill back the greatness to the LB corps.
  4. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,012 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    39ß
    Tucker is rated # 27 out of 32 DC, so whoever does those rankings doesn't think he is too big a prize either.
  5. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,012 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    39ß
    LeBeau showed me a lot when we played the Steelers. Good adjustments to our O. Coincidentally, (or maybe not), he is rated #1
  6. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,208 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    "Knows the Division": that doesn't mean anything. The only secret you need to learn to beat Minnesota is to stop Adrian Peterson.
    "good leader/good motivator": hardly, as he pissed off his team in SF enough, and was horrible enough with the X's and O's that he was fired, with ONE game left in the season. Look what Harbaugh did with the team in the following year.
    "Hard Worker": Every coach in the NFL is a hard worker. They put in hours that most of us never have, never will
    "All time favorite Bear": That is irrelevant to his being a coach.

Honestly, Henderson, having already proven himself to be a good defensive coordinator, and now a good DB coach with Buffalo makes a LOT more sense, imo.
  7. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    How ever wins the division knows they won't make it past the first game so no wants the title.
  8. DavidL

Ratings:
    +598 / 4 / -17
    ßearz ßuckz:
    239ß
    He wouldn't have the problems at Chicago that he had in S.F. He was feeling the pressure of the HC and didn't have experience. As far as knowledge of the division, I wasn't just thinking of Vikings. He knows the Lions and Packers offenses. Anyway, I believe he could do the job. From Trestman's demeanor, I have a hard time imagining him kicking ass in the locker room. From that standpoint, I am sure Singletary would kick ass on Peppers a few times this season when he was dogging it on the field. IOW, he could be a counter-weight to milktoast Trestman.
  9. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,208 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    He was an assistant coach with them, AND he was their head coach for 40 games. He has had plenty of experience coaching. He simply hasn't shown the ability to coach very well. Again, if you're advocating the type of "fiery" coaching style that alienated him in San Francisco, expect an even worse defense next year.
  10. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +990 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    How is that possible? We are DEAD LAST in run defense and have already given up more points in 11 games than we did ALL of of last season. I'm not at all advocating for Singletary or any other possible candidate (meh on that) but I find it laughable that you would turn your nose up on anyone while still defending Tucker whos presided over this mess. That's truly a joke.
  11. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +167 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    104ß
    Has anyone seen 16 games played yet ?
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +990 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    Yes, we don't have enough "sample size" yet.
    That must be it.
    All Tucker needs to do is hold every team to 100 total yards and 3 points each for the next 5 games and he will get to #22 in the NFL. I have total confidence in him. Let's sign him up to be our kickass DC for the next 5 years.
    Go Mel!
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,208 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    Okay, you might be exaggerating my "defense" of Tucker here, but anyway, I was referring to how much of an improvement the entire 49ers team made once they fired Singletary and hired Harbaugh.
    i
    Now, to ask you a question: Do you, or do you not think that a good part of the reason why this defense is so bad this year is because of injuries? If not, why do you feel that way?

Now, here's something interesting I found out about Tucker, and probably why he was viewed as a possible HC candidate if the defense did well this year: In his first year in Jacksonville, the Jags jumped from 28th in total yards allowed, 27th in points allowed and 30th in takeaways to 6th best in total yards allowed, 11th in points, and 11 in takeaways. Everyone harps on his defense with the Jags last year, BUT, they lead the league in having 22 players on the injured reserve. There IS a point at which using "injuries" as part of why a defense or offense failed is just an excuse, but if you're leading the league in most players on injured reserve, you're probably not going to do very well. Now with Chicago, he's got 3 DT's that have missed considerable time(2 on IR), 2 linebackers that have missed considerable time (one on IR), and our best cornerback, when he was healthy, really wasn't healthy, and is now on IR.
  14. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +167 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    104ß
    If we can hold the opposing running game to under 260 yeards rushing ...
    • Like Like x 1
  15. BlackDiamond

BlackDiamond Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    You're gonna get that reaction anytime you say "Rex".
  16. abegibronlives

abegibronlives Rookie

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    For years, the Bears defense was anchored by four outstanding players: Urlacher, Briggs, Peppers and Tillman. A few others were pretty good (Melton, Jennings, etc.) comprised a good supporting cast, but those four were head and shoulders above the rest. They all got old, and none of them have been adequately replaced. One retired, two hurt, and one still pretty good but clearly not what he was. The Bears have been spending their money on offense (all new O-line, big receivers/tight end, running backs and a decent back-up qb), and that side of the ball is improved, but the defense has suffered. I don't know if Mel Tucker is good at his job or not, but I think it is unrealistic to expect this Bears defense to be as good as it has been in recent years. The talent level is simply not the same.
  17. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    At least it will be an exciting off-season. Changes must be made; just don't know who yet.
  18. DavidL

Ratings:
    +598 / 4 / -17
    ßearz ßuckz:
    239ß
    Every team has injuries. If Tucker can get us to average or better next season, I'll be satisfied. I see this as a 3-yr. project. SuperBowl 2016.
  19. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    He had a good year with the Browns and a good year with the Jags. Not much positive to balance the bad years. Head coach? You have to be kidding me.
  20. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,208 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    I'm not arguing with you, but this is interesting, regarding last season: "Five was also the magic number for the 2012 season, as Tucker only had five starters play all 16 games for him on defense last season."

Um, with a mostly healthy roster (the Jags STILL had a lot of injuries in 2011), he did a pretty amazing turnaround from the previous year. As far as Head Coach, I'm not making this up:

http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/10/5/4806350/2014-nfl-head-coaching-candidates-an-early-look

"Mel Tucker, defensive coordinator, Chicago Bears
    Terrific defensive coordinator who has turned moderately talented groups into pretty good units with the Jacksonville Jaguars and Cleveland Browns. Was the Jaguars' interim head coach in 2011 and went 2-3 with a squad that was 5-11 on the season. Of course, those two wins came against the ten-game losing streak Bucs and the 2-14 Indianapolis Colts."

http://tracking.si.com/2013/01/18/bears-hire-mel-tucker-as-new-defensive-coordinator/

"Tucker was considered a head coaching candidate and interviewed for a few positions."

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2012/12/5/3730132/wisconsin-mel-tucker-head-coach-search-rumors

"Former Badger and now Jacksonville Jaguars D-Coordinator, Mel Tucker, is a name that's picking up steam. #Badgers #OnWisconsin"

More random facts about Tucker:

Over his four-year run in Cleveland, the Browns ranked fifth overall in interceptions (73) and fourth overall in passes of over 20 yards allowed (78). He was the DB coach for them until his last year.

As DC, the 2008 Browns had the second most interceptions in the NFL, an impressive stat considering that the Browns had the third fewest passing attempts thrown against them and languished in sack statistics.

Oh, and remember the stat that I threw out about the amazing improvement the Jags had from 2010 to 2011? 2011 was the year Jack Del Rio relinquished play calling duties to Tucker. Repeating something I said earlier in the post: Tucker only had five starters play all 16 games for him on defense last season.

Considering the dearth of talent that he's been faced with in Cleveland, Jacksonville and here, the fact that he automatically gets more out of his starters, when he has starters, is enough for me to want to keep him around for the inevitable shakeup of the roster on the defensive side.

Please quit trying to discount the injuries that his defenses have suffered as some sort of "proof" that he can't coach. Dude was really good as a DB coach, running a 3-4, and could coach pretty damn well with a 4-3, as well.

I'm going to have to say this, because someone will miss the point of what I'm saying: He is certainly worth keeping around for another year. I'm not saying he's great, but with an infusion of new blood into this defense, there's a very good possibility that this defense could surprise everyone next year.