Rate Cutler's supporting cast as compared with other NFL teams.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Aug 28, 2013.

?

Rate Cutler's supporting cast on offense as compared with the typical NFL team.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,657 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,157ß
    I thought this would be an interesting poll. Obviously, no QB in the NFL has a perfect supporting cast of players and coaches. But, how would you rate Cutler's supporting cast on offense as compared with the typical NFL team?

This is not just a comparison of OL, receivers, running backs & coaches. It also includes the QB's supporting defense AND special teams too. A QB who is supported by a solid ST's unit is benefitting from a lot of solid field position throughout the season. A QB who is supported by a solid defense is also benefiting by not having to score quite as many points, and is getting turnovers for additional offensive drives AND is probably supported by better overall field position throughout the season.

So, look at the "Big Picture" of what Cutler has here, and give us your gut feeling as to how his situation here in Chicago, compares with the average NFL QB. Is he better off? About the same? Or worse?
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  2. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +908 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    899ß
    Let me see. Top 3 WR, Top 5 RB, Top 10 TE, Pro Bowl LT. I think he's in good hands.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,278 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,441ß
    Top notch RB, check
    Elite # 1 WR check
    decent backup RB and 2nd and 3rd WR check
    decent TE check
    OL...better then last year but compared to other qb's?
    HC/OC check

Name the other teams w/a complete rb and a legit backup AND a legit 1WR, 2WR and 3WR(EB) AND TE.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Rogelio

Rogelio Veteran

Ratings:
    +146 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    72ß
    After years of giving Cutler mostly lumps of crap, he finally has talent resembling an offense around him. I may be drinking the Kool-Aid too much on the offensive line, but I think they will be at worst better than last year. Even if they aren't, having legitimate talent at many skill positions and a coaching staff who knows what offense is will help him greatly and I think he will be much better this season.
  5. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    47ß
    While I think his supporting cast has the potential to be above average I think I currently have to list them as average. It's true that we have an elite WR and a RB who could certainly be considered elite by many. But, I don't know about the rest.

WR's:
    Marshall: Elite.
    Jeffrey: Looks like he could be special, but needs to stay healthy and take the next step. We don't KNOW he will.
    E. Bennett: Produces when healthy, but often is not healthy. Also, completely disappears in games on occasion.
    Rest of WR's: Unproven.

RB's:
    Forte: Near elite-to-elite.
    Rest of RB's: I'd say our RB depth is slightly above average.

TE's:
    M. Bennett: Last year was his best season, but still had fairly average numbers. He's much better than what we've had since Olsen, but I'm not ready to call him above average until I see it here in Chicago.
    Rest of TE's: They are either here to block or seem to have stone hands.

OL:
    Bushrod: Definitely a big upgrade for us over the crap we've had the last several years. Compared to the rest of the league, though, is he above average? I know a lot of people had concerns about him possibly being overrated when we signed him. We'll see.
    Slauson: Good vet. I'd say average.
    Garza: I'd put Roberto at below average. I don't think there's a Bear fan out there that doesn't want him replaced ASAP.
    Long: Looks like he could be special, a future All-Pro. Yet, completely unproven.
    RT: The fact that I can't name our RT is proof enough that he's below average.

I think all of this combines to make Cutler's supporting cast average overall with the potential to be above average.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. JoeBear

JoeBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    On paper they look pretty good. Compare Forte, Marshall, Hester, Busch, M. Bennett even Jeffrey to their counter parts on other teams and they look good. But the Bears just seem to lack a certain consistency and confidence that some other teams seem to exude. I am still somewhat surprise and elated when I see a big play. By now I should be expecting big plays and a certain level of dominance. I just cannot lose the feeling that this years team is still a big ?.

Let's hope for the best. Go Bears!
  7. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +705 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    317ß
    I quoted this from Papa Bear, but not to comment on his post, just thought it was a good format.

WR's:
    Marshall: Elite.
    Jeffrey: Will be special. I KNOW he will. (I hope)
    E. Bennett: Average - for Papa's reasons listed.
    Rest of WR's: Unproven, but don't really affect my vote.

RB's:
    Forte: Elite. Best all-around player since Payton. (I'm NOT comparing him to Sweetness, just saying he's a good all-around RB)
    Rest of RB's: Bush = above average. Ford, well, I'm a Mopar guy, but I like this Ford.

TE's:
    M. Bennett: I will call him above average.
    Rest of TE's: "They are either here to block or seem to have stone hands." Yup. So overall TE's rate average.

OL:
    Bushrod: "Definitely a big upgrade for us over the crap we've had the last several years." Agreed, I'll call him average.
    Slauson: average.
    Garza: Below average. Way below.
    Long: I'll call him above average. His freakish athleticism will help cover some rookie mistakes he will make.
    RT: Mills looks average to below average. I blame that on being a rookie. He may end up at be average IMO.
    So overall OL I say average.

Coaches:
    Trestman: unproven but worked wonders with several QBs and is well revered in that wilderness to the north. From my observations in TC and pre-season, I'm calling him above average.
    Kromer/DeCamilis/Tucker: Creative, hard-working, aggressive. Above average. Have to include these guys because the D and STs will hopefully be giving Cutler a short field often.

IMHO Cutler's supporting cast is above average.
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,657 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,157ß
    1. The head coach is a QB guru who is supposed to be a brilliant offense guy. No more Lovie/Tice.
    2. We have (arguably) the best RB tandem in the entire NFL, including Forte who is as good as any RB catching the football.
    3. We have Kromer who is proven to be brilliant at building offensive linemen into Pro-Bowl players - and he has some very good OL guys now. Better than QB's like Aaron Rogers has had to work with.
    4. We have a top-3 talent WR. He also has perhaps the tallest WR corps in the entire NFL (who also have exceptional talent).
    5. We now have one of the better receiving TE's in the game, 6'6" 265lb, Martellus Bennett.
    6. We have one of the top defenses in the entire NFL that forces turnovers and gets the QB pretty decent field position.
    7. We have a solid ST's unit which benefits the offense all year long.

When I consider all of this, my gut feeling is that Cutler is VERY well off right now with surrounding talent. When you consider all of the factors together, I'd say he has one of the better offenses in the NFL right now. Any of the elite level QB's in the NFL would tear up a season with this level of talent.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,278 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,441ß
    Bushrod: "Definitely a big upgrade for us over the crap we've had the last several years." Agreed, I'll call him average.

and the guy he replaced is now a backup and possibly on his way to getting cut....tell me again how PFF had him rated better then JB and that Bushrod was a bad signing ;)
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,278 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,441ß

problem is the OL has 2 rookies on the right side and this team is going to face a lot of teams w/VERY good DL's, cincy, det(x2) etc etc. Doesn't matter how promising Long/Mills are they are rookies and will likely get a lot of attention coming their way...early and often, and that's going to effect the O. But I agree w/all this.
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,657 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,157ß
    I agree that the right side of the line has two very talented but green rookies. My gut feeling is that they will outperform a lot of veteran OL players this year though. My point is that this isn't Webb or some of the deadbeats we've had in the past. Of course that is nothing more than guesswork by me.....not worth much :)

I would add though, in fairness, there are elite QB's in the league that have pretty crappy OL's -Aaron Rodgers is one example of a guy who gets abused every year due to a poor OL. Our OL, even with those two talented rookies, will still (probably) be better than half the league. We'll see though :)
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,278 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,441ß
    no i agree, and against average DL's I think they'll hold their own, but against guys like Cincy has, or that DL that is in Det...gonna be some real problems.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,228 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    146ß
    I would think not only a comparison of players but a comparison of what can be done tactically as opposed to last season would also show how much more potential exists in the offense:

1) Ability to maximize players strengths and limit their weaknesses. Going to see examples like using Forte more in the passing game and short and intermediate routes in the WCO offense. Soul has a nice thread on the utilization of the blocking scheme that leans towards the O lines strength- I wouldn't be surprised at all if we were more of a running team at least for the first half of the season.

2) Fewer pre-snap penalties: Sustaining drives even if they don't result in the score will benefit field position, the ST, as well as the defense.

3) Other players involved in the offense: Reducing tendencies like the over reliance towards Marshall and involving others will make it harder for opponents to game plan. I believe we'll see a ton of surprises more than failures this season.

4) Ability to make coaching adjustments: With a offensive minded coach who appears to be sharp we should see many more counter-moves (and more points).

Even if the O line struggles I have more faith that these things will shine through and that the offense will look far more promising and tactically accomplished than last season.
    • Like Like x 3
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,657 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,157ß
    Are you saying we couldn't make coaching adjustments LAST year? :)
    Every time I look at this pic I laugh out loud. What on earth were they talking about here???

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  15. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    If we are talking about his past in Chicago, I think it's clear that his supporting cast has been below par. If we're talking about this year, none of us know yet right? We've had two pretty promising pre-season games against poor teams that aren't even game planning, an O-Line that looks much improved, but still has a whole rookie right side and a TE group that is unproven on THIS team. We have a defense that has seen wholesale changes in the LB corp with a new DC, and a new ST coordinator to go along with an all new offense.

Now, saying all that, If you think we are going to be a good team, then I suggest you are a glass half full guy. If you say we will be lucking to make it a .500 season, then you are probably a glass half empty guy. Other than that, I am simply cautiously optimistic about our chances, but no one really knows what we've got yet compared to the supporting cast of other teams.
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,278 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,441ß
    Gamblers have the Bears winning 8.5 games....I think that's about right, they're a team very much flux, they have talent but also a rough schedule and a new coach and philoshophy so things might well go like last year or maybe a little worse.
  17. BearsWin

BearsWin Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I marked average. I agree the potential for above is definately there, but as many of you had mentioned, way too many questions. Only proven commodities we have are Marshall and Forte. Anyone else, until they show what they can do in a Bear's uniform, can be argued as average or less.
  18. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Definitely a better cast but regardless of the inexperience, more secure knowing we have a superior coaching cast. Think that's what will get us over the bumps in the road.

These guys have the resume to not only coach but adjust to opposing coaches. Think that keeps our supporting cast above average as the year progresses.

Or...I could be wrong
    • Like Like x 1