Ratliff 2yrs 4mil

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Marshall#15, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Marshall#15

Marshall#15 Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    • Like Like x 2
  2. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    Hmm, sounds right, lets hope he can get back to (near) pro-bowl level
  3. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    Yea, lets also put some talent around him as well
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Marshall#15

Marshall#15 Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
  5. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +637 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    That's really not bad.
  6. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,427 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    594ß
    Exactly. Kyle Long was happy about it and then lobbied in public for them to re-sign Nate Collins as well. I'd say that's steppin' out big time for a guy whose just completed his rookie season but what's more interesting was that he was mum on Melton and yet these are all the guys he goes up against in practice. Maybe that's an indication of who the toughest competition really is.

If they can add Collins to the list of signees they can afford to let Melton walk if the offers he gets are more than they want to pay and they'd still have the draft to replace him with either Donald or Jernigan since Collins, Ratliff and Paea are all interchangeable at NT or 3 tech. I still believe Donald is the right guy but either one of them gives the Bears a good young DT.
  7. dabears

dabears Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    If we sign one of Collins to Melton do we still need to go DT with the first pick? Or would it shift to DE since Pep is a virtual goner and Wooten is not guaranteed to sign either.
  8. Rogelio

Rogelio Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I wouldn't read too much into that. First off, everybody knows that Melton will be looking for a much larger payday than Collins, and thus be harder to re-sign. Also, Melton missed pretty much all of training camp and got injured around week 4, while Long practiced against Collins the whole year, if I remember correctly.
  9. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,460 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    247ß
    Depends on what else they do in FA, I'm not 100% sold that DT was an auto at 14 before this though it's a deep draft, especially at DT so I would guess that CB/S/MLB/DE are all options if DT is fixed. If FA goes well maybe DT opens back up as an option also
  10. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Not that I know much, but I do know that Nate Collins and Joel Long are best friends from college and Kyle has known Nate for a long time now. They do vacations together. So that's probably why he did a shout out for Nate.

Just my 2 cents!
    • Like Like x 3
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,427 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    594ß
    If there was one worth taking that high maybe but as it stands that's somewhat questionable. Right now both Donald and Jernigan rank as top 15 picks. The next best DE after Clowney is Ealy and some have pushed him all the way back from the mid first to around #25 to the very end of one. His speed isn't that great (he ran a 4.84 and a 4.92) and that's not the kind of speed you want in a pass rushing RDE. Because of his size he's pretty much a 4-3 DE but being that slow strictly a LDE prospect and maybe not even a good one. This kid could fall out of the 1st round entirely. He's way too big a risk at #14 whereas both Jernigan and Donald are rated between #10-#20. I don't see either of them as high risk picks.

We need, no let me capitalize that, WE NEED to sign a DE in FA. Whether it's Bennet or Johnson or one of the older 2nd tier guys like Allen or Tuck we need at least one. There's a good chance that if they decide to let Pep go they'll try to bring back Wootton to play his spot but they have to get a DE in FA because there really isn't one available in the 1st that they'd take. If the can get at least one good Safety in FA than it would probably be a DT, CB or another Safety in round one depending on how it falls.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,427 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    594ß

Who asked YOU!!!! :rofl2:

Just kidding. Hi ya sweetie how you doin'?
  13. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    Seems like a fair deal for both parties. I hope he can really deliver for us next season. I thoght he looked good, stepping in so late in the season.
  14. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +478 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    303ß
    Heres the article. At bottom of article it says we signed both Rosario and Hayden to minimum salary deals. $570k ea against the cap. Good deal

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...s-resign-jay-ratliff-20140305,0,2275356.story

The Bears signed cornerback Kelvin Hayden and tight end Dante Rosario to one-year contracts last week. According to a source, both are minimum-salary deals with no guarantees. Each player can earn $855,000 and will count $570,000 against the salary cap.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,427 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    594ß
    We won't get any cap break on Ratliff's deal though because it's more than the vet minimum and with guaranteed money. But most of these other guys they're bringing in are getting deals like Hayden and Rosario got. Some of them are just STeams guys to replace players who may sign elsewhere just like this guy Scott they just signed did.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    Ratliff, Collins, high DT selection looks nice to me. Let Melton walk, get a quality guy via draft to play opposite of Ratliff and let Collins spell them. Add a de FA and our line is looking refreshed and that is step one to fixing our defense, the line.
  17. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +190 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    IMHO this is a very good move for Emery. Even better things to come soon I hope.
    :)