Reaction to Fuller pick mostly positive

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Newsman, May 9, 2014.

1. The Newsman

The Newsman Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    820ß
    [​IMG]
    LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- Early reactions are mixed, but even with those who didn’t completely agree with the Chicago Bears' decision to draft Virginia Tech cornerback Kyle Fuller with the No. 14 overall pick of the NFL draft on Thursday, the consensus seems to be the Bears acquired a solid player that will contribute in 2014. According to general manager Phil Emery, as soon as the New York Giants picked LSU receiver Odell Beckham Jr. at No. 12, the Bears “knew we were getting a really good player.

Continue reading...
  2. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +879 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    414ß
    I see this pick as the ONLY real option. Yeah we could have picked a secondary later in the draft, but we need a star now!

Bravo Zulu to Phil!
    • Like Like x 3
  3. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +282 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    142ß
    I have seen/read several "first round grades" articles, and they all gave the Fuller selection an A. Just FYI.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,381 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    494ß
    Well, the first and the second are behind us. Who else can we pick in the third whose last name starts with an F? We need a mock stat!
  5. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,771 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,381ß
    I'd agree. Once Donald was gone (and that was a shocker no one saw coming) Fuller was the guy they had rated above the two Safeties. Greg Gabriel tipped us off about that a few weeks ago and to the fact that Fuller's stock was on the rise big time to the point where he and Gilbert where almost neck and neck as coverage guys.

I'm extremely disappointed we got THAT close to Donald and the Rams, who everyone had taking a DB, took him. Man, that was a blow. So Fuller was as good a second choice as any and if we lost either Peanut or Jennings to an injury then we have some depth and if we can get some use out of him playing in nickel or dime coverages all the better.

Sutton isn't the player that Donald is but as a penetrating DT and pass rusher he's not all that far behind. They just need to keep his weight around 290-295lbs and work him into the rotation little by little. I like this pick better than Ferguson.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,174 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    Both DT picks were rolling the dice a bit. It will be interesting to watch and see what happens with them.
  7. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,381 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    494ß
    I would not call them big risks, but yeah, I think there is definitely a risk/reward element to both of these picks. I do believe that unless you have a high pick, you do have to roll the dice sometimes (not every pick I hope though) to get a guy that is going to perform above the general expectations. This is where the scouts and GMs earn their money. Let's hope that these guys are as good as we think they are.
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,757 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    739ß
    I think the fact that Emery said that he was purposefully targeting both these guys in rounds 2 and 3 says everything you need to know about them. These are Emery type players and the coaches believe they can mold them into what the team needs.

Pas talked extensively w/Ego about playing 2 tech, Sutton knew the Bears wanted him at 290-295, he's there and Ego is all about playing NT and developing his skills further.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,174 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    Excellent point about being molded into what the team needs. There's a "fit factor" here too. This is where we just have to trust that the GM and coaches are successful with these guys, until they prove that they are not worthy of our trust (like Angelo/Lovie). For now I'm just watching the parade go by, and hoping a Super Bowl float comes into view soon :-)
    • Like Like x 2
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,757 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    739ß
    that's how I am jabf, I wasn't thrilled w/the Fuller pick, but I wasn't pissed either. I had mocked Ego and Sutton multiple times to the Bears so I kind of expected this one, they just fit everything Emery wants, and Tucker likes bigger linemen also. It should be fun to watch what all goes down.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,180 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    62ß
    I'm not sure why anyone would be down on Fuller based on how the draft shook out. It wasn't a broken Cwill we drafted for Pete's sake. Dennard was hurt IIRC so Fuller was one of the top corners in the draft that can play multiple positions right away and gain valuable experience.

Grade A pick imo
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,757 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    739ß
    SFB, I like the player, just the team needed a starting S, and they won't find one now, they were all taken in the 1st; but they still could have found a starting NB to be starting CB next year in the 2nd or 3rd; and still addressed the DT/NT position also.

But it's water under the bridge, the draft is shaking out fine minus S.
  13. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,180 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    62ß
    I don't think they care that much for the safety position esp. with the DL all but revitalized. I wish they would have tabbed Pryor myself but if Fuller can pinch-hit at S here and there perhaps the dire need would be lessened.
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,757 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    739ß
    That I agree w/SFB, they apparently don't give 2 shakes about S. If they are happy w/Mundy/Conte/Jennings then they cannot possibly value the S position b/c that might well be the worst starting S core in all of the NFL and college 1A football.