Realistically, after just seeing the top teams play, when do you see us winning championships?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Feb 3, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,307 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    706ß
    It was a jaw-dropping "reality check" to see just how powerful the best teams in the NFL are right now. When you consider how weak we were this season, getting swept by the lowly Detroit Lions, and even in a year where the Packers were at their weakest point in years, we couldn't win the division championship - how many years until,

1. we can once again be the "Big Dog" in the NFC-N and win the division championship?

2. we can compete against, and beat, teams like the Seattle Seahawks and WIN a Super Bowl?

And a follow-up question, do you think Mel Tucker has the gears to coach us up a defense that is powerful enough to compete with the big boys of the NFL in the playoffs?
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +717 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    670ß
    I think Tucker is the million dollar question. If he is solid a couple years. If we start anew again tack on a couple more years( starting over sucks)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,898 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    909ß
    1) If the team hadn't given Cutler a crazy high contract(definately no home town discount) It would be sooner, but that isn't the case, and the team will have to build mostly through the draft and some creative FA moves on some bottom tier 1 guys and some other mid level FA's. Emery HAS TO stop reaching on draftees and start hitting at all levels.
    2) Seattle made a turn around in 2-3 years, many teams have, there is no reason the Bears cannot build a legit D in that time, if not sooner

Gotta give up on the Tucker hate, even BU(who could have easily bashed him and defended his players) said the problem was the players on the field and not the coaches. Hate to ruin your days Tucker haters, but the players ex and current are telling you the coaches couldn't have done better then they did. The only complaints I heard were about the assistants and they felt things would be better this year w/improved coaching, younger players, and health.
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,307 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    706ß
    I don't hate any of our current coaches. And I haven't given up on Mel Tucker. But I don't give him a free pass as we move forward. He either produces. Or he doesn't. Just to be perfectly clear, FWIW, I haven't given Emery or Trestman a free pass moving forward either (although I realize they're still on their honeymoon period at this point and the fans are all giddy about 'em right now, like they were with Angelo and Lovie at one time). With me it's all "results oriented" and no love or hate. Coaches and players both have to produce to win championships. I'm all about winning.

Hey, there was a time when I thought Jerry Angelo and Lovie Smith were the best thing since peanut butter, and we'd have sustained winning with that combo. I was wrong. Now I'm more careful about giving people undeserved passes for mediocrity or failure. Tucker gets a pass for this past season. He won't get one from me for future seasons. It's not hate. It's all results oriented with me now.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  5. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    I honestly think the offense can hang with either team we saw last night, and it is not every year that a dominate defense is in the big game.

Too many years we have seen a good team play out of their minds in the playoffs, get healthy, and win a championship.

I think this year was the first in many years where the "best" team in the NFL actually won.
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,307 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    706ß
    That is exactly how I see it. But also, Emery needs to get Tucker the players too. Those are the two variables in the championship equation........but I guess that's obvious. Emery feeds Mel the players, and then he needs to put a viable defense in place that can get us to the promised land - and a Lombardi Trophy. Man, I am so tired of the annual excuses as to why it's okay for Green Bay to own the division, and our team has languished for over a quarter-century since our lone Super Bowl win. We can see with our own eyes what powerful NFL teams look like. We need to find a way to get there. We're either winners. Or losers. I really don't care about hearing excuses anymore.
  7. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +545 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    243ß
    The number may not be a discount, but the terms of the contract certainly were. We take any of that money and turn into bonus money to spread it out, or we could walk away clean after 3 years. Find me a deal that had come anywhere close to those terms.
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,898 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    909ß
    Contract certainty wasn't what was needed, qb play certainty is what was needed, and he didn't give you that or even availability, he was once again hurt. You gave a 30 year old qb, that hasn't been able to stay healthy, or vastly improve his very average game 16-20 mil over the next 3 years. That's picking Shea McClellen stupid w/out the Kyle Long ceiling.
  9. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +545 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    243ß
    We'll agree to disagree.
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,898 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    909ß
    deep playoff run over the next 3 years are the only thing that will resolve that disagreement, the Bears get 3 runs in the playoffs w/at least 1 sb birth money well spent, don't get that then that money and time was wasted.
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,307 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    706ß
    It's the wasted time that makes me sad. I rationalize each off-season about how NEXT season will be better. I've done this for over 50 years Ric. It's a year here, and a year there, and then you wake up one day and realize it's been decades since we've won our lone Super Bowl or the exciting '63 team.

I realize I'm becoming a grumpy and negative old man. But the Bears have done this to me (the Cubs too for that matter). Too many giddy hopes with new coaches, and new GMs and new McCaskeys in charge. Then the hope doesn't translate into reality and we fire 'em, and the new crop comes in and we're giddy all over again. It's an endless cyle of futility.

That's EXACTLY why I'm not "crowning" this group until they win something. Sure, give Mel another shot. Hope Emery can draft defense better than the pitiful Shea McClellin pick. Hope Trestman isn't simply the offense-version of Lovie Smith. Hope, hope, hope. But at some point that hope needs to be justified with championships. I'm just sittin' here watching the parade go by, hoping something good comes by again like in 1985 and 1963.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +545 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    243ß
    Possibly, but unless there were viable alternatives out there that I'm missing I disagree. One player won't get us there by himself, and since the money we're paying him isn't cap prohibitive I'm not upset by it. Now having said all that Kaepernick would have looked good in a Bears uniform instead of gabe carimi.
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,898 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    909ß
    The alternatives are endless b/c the cap could have been spent on Cutler could have been used on DL/LB's and DB's and w/the talent around the qb on this team(the wr's, rb' , TE, especially the ol) you could have had your choice of qb's in the 1st on down, which is exactly what SF and Sea have done.
  14. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +545 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    243ß
    No.... Seattle spent a ton of dough on Matt Flynn to be their guy and they lucked out with Wilson, and found a sucker in Oakland to take Flynn off their hands.
  15. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +545 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    243ß
    Seattle drafted well and signed a bunch of guys as undefeated free agents that panned out. Its truly amazing..21 of their 53 were us drafted free agents. Can we stop with the revisionist history though?
  16. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,193 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    86ß
    Don't see a SB for about 3 or so years. Tucker has nowhere to go but up. Less injuries mean the D probably moves up 10 spots on that alone. If Mel can really coach it will be less than 3 years, if he can't then more like 5 as they'll probably hold onto him for too long.
  17. kevperro

kevperro Veteran

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    43ß
    Yes... I do.
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,307 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    706ß
    That's smart management. It doesn't matter HOW they built a great Super Bowl winning team. The fact is that they DID it. They won the Super bowl. We haven't in over a quarter century. We can't even win our own stinking division in a year that Green Bay sucked. We got swept by the lowly Detroit stinking Lions. Seattle has built something very special. They've done it the right way, and should have sustained success for years now. We may (or may not) rebuild a decent defense and become competitive again. Winning the division championship would be a nice start. Winning a Super Bowl like Seattle did yesterday would be even better. But we haven't proven squat yet. Just a team with new coaches and a lot of "hope" that we can improve with these coaches in the future. I hope so too. I'm waiting and watching and hoping. Let's see what happens. Between the Bears and the Cubs it's always "next year"......yeah, next year will be our year. Been saying that for a lot of years now. Other than '63 and '85 it's not been a bowl of cherries here in Chicago for the fans.
  19. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,193 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    86ß
    Have to get younger as well, Seattle is damn young. If there is a plan then I'd say take the lumps now. Pep and Garza should be gone this year. Take you pick on the rest.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    I predict a worse case 6 wins, best case 10 win season next year as the D continues to struggle and the O carries the team only so far depending on injuries I think.

If we are smart we should follow the Seattle model of building a defense at the same time remaining our offense. That means spending the draft picks in bringing in a range of talent at the positions be they early draft picks or late draft picks. The coaches should also note some of the things done by Seattle in terms of building their culture on defense - particularly the aggressive competition with the first string offense and the focus on turnovers as well as Carroll's ability to relate to the players. I don't want us having drug problems and Richard Sherman's but as an offensive coach Trestman needs to show the defense he's not all about the O and QB.

By taking a hit on the salary cap this year cutting Peppers (as well as front loading Cutlers contract to hurt this year but be ok there after) and not over spending on free agents (maybe 2 mid range signings, one in the secondary, one on the D line and besides that mainly bargain pick ups) we can develop young players and still improve the unit (the benefits of being so bad is you can only get better).

It wont take a miracle to improve the run defense from all time bad to reasonable. All of a sudden find a pass rush from somewhere and we have the makings of at least not a shocking defense. If it's a rejuvinated Henry Melton or Wooton back to DE or a blitzing McLellin at LB we could have at least some QB pressure. Hey if we become an average defense next year but have promising young players up front, at LB and in the secondary then we might have something building. The Saints showed you can turn it around quickly as they discovered some hidden gem players and changed scheme (and coordinator). They started well at the draft getting a stud safety. We have to nail our first pick getting a plug and play starter. Sign a couple more decent ones on FA, get a few more guys healthy and we might have a defense again.