Realistically, after just seeing the top teams play, when do you see us winning championships?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Feb 3, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,745ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    It's the wasted time that makes me sad. I rationalize each off-season about how NEXT season will be better. I've done this for over 50 years Ric. It's a year here, and a year there, and then you wake up one day and realize it's been decades since we've won our lone Super Bowl or the exciting '63 team.

I realize I'm becoming a grumpy and negative old man. But the Bears have done this to me (the Cubs too for that matter). Too many giddy hopes with new coaches, and new GMs and new McCaskeys in charge. Then the hope doesn't translate into reality and we fire 'em, and the new crop comes in and we're giddy all over again. It's an endless cyle of futility.

That's EXACTLY why I'm not "crowning" this group until they win something. Sure, give Mel another shot. Hope Emery can draft defense better than the pitiful Shea McClellin pick. Hope Trestman isn't simply the offense-version of Lovie Smith. Hope, hope, hope. But at some point that hope needs to be justified with championships. I'm just sittin' here watching the parade go by, hoping something good comes by again like in 1985 and 1963.

• Like Like x 1
  2. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,017ß
    Possibly, but unless there were viable alternatives out there that I'm missing I disagree. One player won't get us there by himself, and since the money we're paying him isn't cap prohibitive I'm not upset by it. Now having said all that Kaepernick would have looked good in a Bears uniform instead of gabe carimi.

3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,695ß
    The alternatives are endless b/c the cap could have been spent on Cutler could have been used on DL/LB's and DB's and w/the talent around the qb on this team(the wr's, rb' , TE, especially the ol) you could have had your choice of qb's in the 1st on down, which is exactly what SF and Sea have done.

4. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,017ß
    No.... Seattle spent a ton of dough on Matt Flynn to be their guy and they lucked out with Wilson, and found a sucker in Oakland to take Flynn off their hands.

5. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,017ß
    Seattle drafted well and signed a bunch of guys as undefeated free agents that panned out. Its truly amazing..21 of their 53 were us drafted free agents. Can we stop with the revisionist history though?

6. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    804ß
    Don't see a SB for about 3 or so years. Tucker has nowhere to go but up. Less injuries mean the D probably moves up 10 spots on that alone. If Mel can really coach it will be less than 3 years, if he can't then more like 5 as they'll probably hold onto him for too long.

7. kevperro

kevperro Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    439ß
    Yes... I do.

8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,745ß
    That's smart management. It doesn't matter HOW they built a great Super Bowl winning team. The fact is that they DID it. They won the Super bowl. We haven't in over a quarter century. We can't even win our own stinking division in a year that Green Bay sucked. We got swept by the lowly Detroit stinking Lions. Seattle has built something very special. They've done it the right way, and should have sustained success for years now. We may (or may not) rebuild a decent defense and become competitive again. Winning the division championship would be a nice start. Winning a Super Bowl like Seattle did yesterday would be even better. But we haven't proven squat yet. Just a team with new coaches and a lot of "hope" that we can improve with these coaches in the future. I hope so too. I'm waiting and watching and hoping. Let's see what happens. Between the Bears and the Cubs it's always "next year"......yeah, next year will be our year. Been saying that for a lot of years now. Other than '63 and '85 it's not been a bowl of cherries here in Chicago for the fans.

9. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    804ß
    Have to get younger as well, Seattle is damn young. If there is a plan then I'd say take the lumps now. Pep and Garza should be gone this year. Take you pick on the rest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    67ß
    I predict a worse case 6 wins, best case 10 win season next year as the D continues to struggle and the O carries the team only so far depending on injuries I think.

If we are smart we should follow the Seattle model of building a defense at the same time remaining our offense. That means spending the draft picks in bringing in a range of talent at the positions be they early draft picks or late draft picks. The coaches should also note some of the things done by Seattle in terms of building their culture on defense - particularly the aggressive competition with the first string offense and the focus on turnovers as well as Carroll's ability to relate to the players. I don't want us having drug problems and Richard Sherman's but as an offensive coach Trestman needs to show the defense he's not all about the O and QB.

By taking a hit on the salary cap this year cutting Peppers (as well as front loading Cutlers contract to hurt this year but be ok there after) and not over spending on free agents (maybe 2 mid range signings, one in the secondary, one on the D line and besides that mainly bargain pick ups) we can develop young players and still improve the unit (the benefits of being so bad is you can only get better).

It wont take a miracle to improve the run defense from all time bad to reasonable. All of a sudden find a pass rush from somewhere and we have the makings of at least not a shocking defense. If it's a rejuvinated Henry Melton or Wooton back to DE or a blitzing McLellin at LB we could have at least some QB pressure. Hey if we become an average defense next year but have promising young players up front, at LB and in the secondary then we might have something building. The Saints showed you can turn it around quickly as they discovered some hidden gem players and changed scheme (and coordinator). They started well at the draft getting a stud safety. We have to nail our first pick getting a plug and play starter. Sign a couple more decent ones on FA, get a few more guys healthy and we might have a defense again.