Recommend new name for Redskins

Discussion in 'Rival Team Forum' started by matsellah, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +3,999 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    203ß
    I think the solution is simple: they can keep their name, but remove their trademark protection.
  2. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,214 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    112ß
    That works for me. I honestly agree that it's a bad name, but there's just a really odd timing to the sudden interest in the name.
  3. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +493 / 3 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    106ß
    Seems like? lol
    • Like Like x 1
  4. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    Washington Bear Traps
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +3,999 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    203ß
    Not really, its been debated since the 90s, and even more so after the NCAA rule change on colleges with Native American mascots. Toss in the prevalence of social media now, and its not really surprising this debate gets kicked up during football season.
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,468 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    264ß
    it was debated in the 90's, not since. There's been a pretty large lull in that debate.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    126ß
    You know, the name "Yankees" was a slur against white, Dutch settlers in the New England area, and is still used as a slur by those in other countries, deriding Americans. Where is the outrage there, or are we being politically correct only to those of non-Caucasian decent?

Get a life, lefties.
  8. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    Anyone ever file a complaint? Doubtful. Also a patrioticish song refers to us as Yankees...... So I think you are reaching LB
  9. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +3,999 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    203ß
    The term itself is not derogatory, origin is unclear, but the commonly believed origin is similar to a dutch pet name "Janneke" which is similar to "Johnny." So, it most likely was simply a common name the US Dutch Settlers called themselves, and only later did the British pick up on it and use it in a derogatory fashion to describe the Colonists, much like our WW2 brethren referred to the Germans as "Jerries."

So, hopefully that answered your question as to why there is no outrage over "Yankee." Nice try, though.
  10. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +493 / 3 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    106ß
    I totally agree. lol
    • Like Like x 1
  11. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,162 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    Lol @ all this. You just know it'll keep going further down the rabbit hole. Some fan will walk up to an indian and say "what's up chief" and the offending will ensue in K.C. so lets just grind this whole f***er to a halt.

In loud Chris Carter voice: "Come on Man"!!
  12. ram29jackson

ram29jackson Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 3 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    which no one has ever heard anyone use.
  13. gammabears

gammabears Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I got this..
    [​IMG]
  14. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +3,999 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    203ß
    Ethnic slurs are not defined by numbers of times used. So, not sure what your point is, but thanks for playing.
  15. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    okay.

For those saying there is nothing wrong with the term Redskin.... how about if a team was named the "blackskins"
  16. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,468 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    264ß
    I see no reference to an ethnic slur "blackskin" so i think that is a moot and poor reference.

Some history to put this in contex, 1930 is when the Boston first made the team, named it after the local baseball team in Fenway, calling themselves the Boston Braves. They changed the name to redskin in 1933 to honor their half indian HC Lone Star Dietz(who american indians no longer recognize), but doesn't change the fact that the owner of the team thought him an Indian.

So now we need to find a reference to "redskin" being a racial slur in the 1930's. but I don't have time right now as I'm heading out the door.
  17. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    You honestly don't think a black man would be offended by being labeled a "Blackskin"?
  18. ram29jackson

ram29jackson Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 3 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    yes they are. This is an under the table idssue because no one cares and no one cares because no majority of people go around hating Indians and calling them names. If you don't hear something in every day life odds are there isn't a real issue about it.

Ive seen plenty of people who hate black people and Jews and Chinese etc. But never once in my life has anyone had Indian/native American issues -comments of a serious nature. No one gives a damn about Indians and Indians don't care either because they name their high school teams Redskins.

off the hand example LOL....the WNBA exists..it has teams...its on tv and its reported on.

But look in the stands..hardly anyone goes to the games , they are always in the red never making money and none of my sports fan friends talk about the games and pass it by on tv without stopping while its on tv. They pass them off as athletes as good as men but everyone knows that's bullship and will never be accomplished. And they have events at lesbian functions because that's their fan base LOL.
    when a tree falls in the forest it does in fact make a sound but the fact is if no one is there to hear it, it doesn't matter at all.

IE as long as many reservation high schools are willing to call themselves Redskins and walk around in Washington Redskins t shirts, I don't give a damn if a few Indians actually don't like it because it proves to be nothing more than a personal preference and not some issue of racial hatred/tragedy
  19. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +3,999 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    203ß
    Wrong again. Like i said, doesnt matter who uses the term anymore, if anything, it is a sign of progress that we have managed as a society to move on from archaic denigrating terms of groups of people as mascots for our sports teams. An ethnic slur is an ethnic slur.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. ram29jackson

ram29jackson Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 3 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    and there is absolutely no documented official proof of any kind that this is in fact a racial/ethnic slur.