Reggie Herring new LB Coach

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Ojibway Bob, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    102ß
    I just read this from ESPN.com

The Chicago Bears will bring on Reggie Herring to take over as the club’s linebackers coach as the replacement for the recently fired Tim Tibesar, according to a report from Fox Sports.

[​IMG]Herring had spent the previous three seasons coaching linebackers for Houston, but he was a part of a defensive staff purge that took place three days after the Texans hired Bill O’Brien as their new head coach.

Naturally, Herring’s background as a linebackers coach on teams that play 3-4 defensive fronts (Dallas from 2008-10, and two stints with the Texans from 2002-03 and 2011-13) leads to speculation the Bears could be considering making the transition away from their 4-3 defense. But it would be premature to make that assumption given the team’s current personnel, and the fact the Bears haven’t yet added players that could assimilate to a 3-4 front.

That’s not to say it won’t happen. After all, Bears defensive coordinator Mel Tucker is well-versed in 3-4 defense, and has coached it at Cleveland and sparingly in Jacksonville.

The Bears still haven't named a replacement for defensive line coach Mike Phair, who was fired along with Tibesar.

Herring, meanwhile, brings a breadth of experience to Chicago.

A 32-year coaching veteran, Herring’s ledger includes several college stints at Arkansas (2005-07), North Carolina State (2004), Clemson (1994-2001), Texas Christian (1992-93), Auburn (1986-91) and Oklahoma State (1982-85). At Arkansas, North Carolina State, Clemson and Texas Christian, Herring served as defensive coordinator as well as a linebackers coach.

A former linebacker at Florida State (1978-80), where he ranks as the school’s third all-time leading tackler, Herring will now preside over a Bears linebacking corps that was ravaged by injuries to D.J. Williams and Lance Briggs, and marred by inconsistency due to being forced to play a pair of rookies in Jonathan Bostic and Khaseem Greene for extended periods.

The Bears allowed a franchise-record 6,313 yards, while surrendering a franchise-worst 2,583 yards rushing. Opponents averaged 5.35 yards per rushing attempt, which also qualifies as the worst in franchise history.

Herring left the Cowboys in 2011 to join former Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips in Houston

That season, Houston’s linebackers contributed largely to the third-largest defensive improvement in NFL history since the merger. The Texans finished second in the league in total defense, surrendering 285.7 yards per game, just one season removed from allowing 376.9 yards per game in 2010 on the way to a No. 30 ranking. Houston’s linebackers contributed 27 of the team’s franchise-record 44 sacks that season.

On the collegiate level, Herring’s teams advanced to 18 bowl games, and in 2006 he was a finalist for the Broyles Award, which is given annually to the top assistant coach in the country.
  2. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +234 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    666ß
    Goddamn you OJBOB you better get this done with FACTS !

Im tired of the fuckin rumor mill shit.
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,425 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,443ß
    I like this guy. Great addition!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Ojibway Bob

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    102ß
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,425 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,443ß
    What happened to this guy?

6. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +234 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    666ß
    J99,

Didnt we hire him also ? Does that mean he is the DL coach ? Confusing.
  7. Ojibway Bob

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    102ß
    lol its like a Gift your waiting for and know you are getting but just dont know when or how.....
    • Like Like x 2
  8. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +297 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    288ß
    Sounds like a career LB coach. I like it if it's true.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß
    It is really beginning to point in the direction of us going 3-4, or at least some kind of hybrid. I guess we'll first know for sure when FA begins.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,835 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,050ß
    1 good hire
    2 it appears that that PP is now the DL coach.
    3 Zif, but according to all the best know it alls, the team WILL NOT, EVER, go to a 3-4 it cannot happen we are not allowed to even talk about it or bring it up!!!!! Seriously, the signs had been pointing to this possibility since the GM came on board. Shea was never a 4-3 DE, they let BU/Roach/Izzy walk, Melton was FT'd instead of given a contract, DJ Williams was a LB that played in every LB position in 3-4 and 4-3, Tucker knows both systems, there was going to be HUGE turnover on the D side of the ball this year b/c of all the expiring contracts which allowed the team flexibility to go 3-4, 4-3 or some version of a hybrid, AND in this draft Corny was another 3-4 OLB they signed to play DE, Bass was picked up off the Oak PS, who runs a 3-4.

I still think they look for a 4-3 hybrid base, but a 3-4 wouldn't surprise me at all, they have a glut of OLB/DE's on the roster right now, they need to overhaul the DB/ILB/DL position regardless of what scheme they run. FA will point strongly at what they want to do
    • Like Like x 2
  11. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +177 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    100ß
    I still believe we are moving to a base 3-4, but some of that hinges on the DL moves during the offseason. Are they able to acquire a NT in FA or the draft? Do they re-sign Melton, assuming rehab is positive, as he could play 3 tech or DE in a 3-4 scheme? I think the arrow officially started pointing that way when they made the decision to move Shea to LB. I would imagine they envision him as a poor man's CM3 in a 3-4 scheme. I have to admit that I prefer this scheme, with 3 big fatties up front and four rushing LBs.
  12. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,181 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,121ß
    Solid hire right there! They've just happened to have some real good linebacker play down there in Houston.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. mshu7

mshu7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    158ß
    I think these are two great hires for the Bears. It's so refreshing to see the Bears bring in quality positional coaches these days (yes, last year wasn't their best effort with Phair & Tibesar). Thinking back to the Lovie / Jerry days, it seemed like anyone they brought on to the staff had little to no experience.

I was pretty down on the defense at the end of the year, but Emery sure seems to be working his magic with the defense so far this off-season like he did last off-season with the offense. I'm excited to see how it pans out, especially with FA & the draft upcoming. Everything seems to be pointing to a 34 defense, which I'm excited to see. It'll be a breath of fresh air to the "old" Tampa 2 that's been in place for the last decade (it served them well for a while of course). One thing for sure, I just want to see a defense that is energetic, aggressive, & relentless in their attack.
  14. mshu7

mshu7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    158ß
    Just wanted to highlight one thing that stood out to me in Michael C. Wright's ESPN article.
    • Like Like x 4
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,425 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,443ß
    Regarding a possible scheme change, I'm most interested in seeing us acquire solid athletes and coaches on the D side of the ball now - I really don't care what scheme we go with, as long as the team can play it at a high level. Hopefully we're headed in the right direction with these recent hires of the two new positional coaches. But I'm not "giddy" over this and thinking the D problem has been "solved" to any extent. Sure, we may have some guys (like Shea) who may be able to play a 3-4 defense. This doesn't mean they can play it well.

I'm hopeful.

But the team has a long ways to go to achieve a rock solid defense. And I don't equate the successes we've seen on the offense as an "automatic" indicator that the same quick turnaround will happen on defense. As I said, I'm hopeful the team will put a solid defense on the field this year. But I'm in that "wait and see" mode before I get all goose bumps about Mel and the boys. Sorry.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,181 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,121ß
    Jay Ratliff on Paul Pasqualoni:

"He's so intense," Ratliff said. "And one of the things that makes him a great coach is it's almost like he's not a coach...he lives it. He's almost legendary."

Just a little back up to my feelings on the hire. As I said last week, the guy is a really respected coach.
    • Like Like x 3
  17. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,835 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,050ß
    I wonder if that will help the team re sign Ratliff at a better deal; it wouldn't help the age on D, but it is a guy that has played 3-4 and 4-3.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. mshu7

mshu7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    158ß
    I know I'm probably the crazy one here, but I'd much rather the Bears bring Ratliff back vs. Melton. Yes, I know Ratliff is much older but he played well and he's not coming off an ACL like Melton.

I love hearing this!
  19. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    Agreed. If we can get him at a good price he can add stability and experience to what I assume will be a very young DL group next year without a big cap hit.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,614 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    658ß
    I hope you're right there, Ric, and I'd like to have Ratliff back if he can be had for cheap. We obviously need an infusion of young talent onto the D but that doesn't mean that a few vets with gas left in the tank shouldn't be in the mix too.