Reggie Herring new LB Coach

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Ojibway Bob, Jan 22, 2014.

1. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    176ß
    Ratings:
    +226 / 0 / -0
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I still believe we are moving to a base 3-4, but some of that hinges on the DL moves during the offseason. Are they able to acquire a NT in FA or the draft? Do they re-sign Melton, assuming rehab is positive, as he could play 3 tech or DE in a 3-4 scheme? I think the arrow officially started pointing that way when they made the decision to move Shea to LB. I would imagine they envision him as a poor man's CM3 in a 3-4 scheme. I have to admit that I prefer this scheme, with 3 big fatties up front and four rushing LBs.

2. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,841ß
    Ratings:
    +2,231 / 1 / -0
    Solid hire right there! They've just happened to have some real good linebacker play down there in Houston.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mshu7

mshu7 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    346ß
    Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    I think these are two great hires for the Bears. It's so refreshing to see the Bears bring in quality positional coaches these days (yes, last year wasn't their best effort with Phair & Tibesar). Thinking back to the Lovie / Jerry days, it seemed like anyone they brought on to the staff had little to no experience.

I was pretty down on the defense at the end of the year, but Emery sure seems to be working his magic with the defense so far this off-season like he did last off-season with the offense. I'm excited to see how it pans out, especially with FA & the draft upcoming. Everything seems to be pointing to a 34 defense, which I'm excited to see. It'll be a breath of fresh air to the "old" Tampa 2 that's been in place for the last decade (it served them well for a while of course). One thing for sure, I just want to see a defense that is energetic, aggressive, & relentless in their attack.

4. mshu7

mshu7 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    346ß
    Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    Just wanted to highlight one thing that stood out to me in Michael C. Wright's ESPN article.

• Like Like x 4
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,333ß
    Ratings:
    +4,623 / 4 / -1
    Regarding a possible scheme change, I'm most interested in seeing us acquire solid athletes and coaches on the D side of the ball now - I really don't care what scheme we go with, as long as the team can play it at a high level. Hopefully we're headed in the right direction with these recent hires of the two new positional coaches. But I'm not "giddy" over this and thinking the D problem has been "solved" to any extent. Sure, we may have some guys (like Shea) who may be able to play a 3-4 defense. This doesn't mean they can play it well.

I'm hopeful.

But the team has a long ways to go to achieve a rock solid defense. And I don't equate the successes we've seen on the offense as an "automatic" indicator that the same quick turnaround will happen on defense. As I said, I'm hopeful the team will put a solid defense on the field this year. But I'm in that "wait and see" mode before I get all goose bumps about Mel and the boys. Sorry.

• Like Like x 2
  6. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,841ß
    Ratings:
    +2,231 / 1 / -0
    Jay Ratliff on Paul Pasqualoni:

"He's so intense," Ratliff said. "And one of the things that makes him a great coach is it's almost like he's not a coach...he lives it. He's almost legendary."

Just a little back up to my feelings on the hire. As I said last week, the guy is a really respected coach.

• Like Like x 3
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,143ß
    Ratings:
    +4,553 / 10 / -8
    I wonder if that will help the team re sign Ratliff at a better deal; it wouldn't help the age on D, but it is a guy that has played 3-4 and 4-3.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mshu7

mshu7 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    346ß
    Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    I know I'm probably the crazy one here, but I'd much rather the Bears bring Ratliff back vs. Melton. Yes, I know Ratliff is much older but he played well and he's not coming off an ACL like Melton.

I love hearing this!

9. dachuckster

dachuckster Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    713ß
    Ratings:
    +626 / 1 / -0
    Agreed. If we can get him at a good price he can add stability and experience to what I assume will be a very young DL group next year without a big cap hit.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,052ß
    Ratings:
    +1,963 / 2 / -0
    I hope you're right there, Ric, and I'd like to have Ratliff back if he can be had for cheap. We obviously need an infusion of young talent onto the D but that doesn't mean that a few vets with gas left in the tank shouldn't be in the mix too.