Report Card: Bears-Vikes

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Sep 15, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,161 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    492ß
    Unbeated 2-0.
    First place in the NFC-N ahead of the Packers. Sweet.

2. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Some thoughts. Yes I know they are late but I was driving home from my Alma-Mater after the game so it was a long trip home.

Here goes nothing.

-I was impressed with Long & Mills, yes I know Allen got that sack but that guy is such a freak that the best O-Lines can't really contain him plus most of that was on Jay.
    -WTF was Trestman thinking throwing on 1st & Goal. You have one of the best RB tandem's in the league with Forte/Bush why not use them.
    -Something is wrong with Peppers.
    -The old Hester is back. Now I want to see him take one to the house against Pittsburgh. I think Hester needs to be also on PR's and Weems delegated to Chief Janitor.
    -I think good Jay/bad Jay is back....
    -The weather sucked. Heck the weather still stunk on my way home.
    -Bushrod stunk today.
    -Bush needs to be used more! How about a Forte/Bush package? I know it may not sound logical BUT then the Defense doesn't know what's coming.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Zac

Zac Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Passing Offense: I'd agree with their ranking of B +. The pass protection was pretty good and Cutler was good 90% of the time but he can't make the catastrophic mistakes. Throwing away 7 points on the int. (he never should have thrown that ball) and not protecting the ball on the sack would be insurmountable against better teams. The receivers looked good (Alshon dropped a pass that was nullified by a penalty anyway) and Martellus looked spectacular.

Rushing Offense: C +. Forte was great but our line has done a poor job with interior blocking to where we're pretty much worthless on runs up the middle. We have to get more lanes for our runners, otherwise things will get more difficult for Jay and the passing game.

Passing Defense: D. For most of the first half we were pretty good, then from the last drive on we were awful. Our defensive line was largely useless, with everyone being easily stood up and lacking any upfield penetration. Ponder had a comfortable pocket the entire 2nd half, and we struggled on 3rd downs yet again. 7/16 against an inferior squad is putrid, and that was largely due to our defensive line being completely ineffective.

Rushing Defense: C+. Our rushing D was very good for most of the first half (didn't see that scoring drive so I don't know what happened there) but they were consistently blown off the ball in the 2nd half. Much of our rushing defense "success" is due to the lack of penetration; this causes a clogging of running lanes by default.

Special Teams: B. Anytime you give up a TD the overall rating drops, but our return units, particularly Hester, were fantastic. We have to clean up our coverage and avoid the backbreaking plays. The confusion on one of the punt returns which extended a Viking possession was pretty pathetic. We didn't just have 12 men on the field, we had 13. Someone on the field and or on the sideline should have been screaming for a TO. Mostly good today, but two huge mistakes that can't be repeated.

Coaching: B+. I don't think we made things tough enough for Ponder, though it's hard to fault Tucker too much when the D-Line continues to fail. I also didn't like Trestman's challenge as I not only thought there was a great chance he would lose (and lose a precious timeout in the process), but I also thought it was futile as Minny would end up with a 4th and a .5 yard, go for it, and easily get the first down. In the end he risk of losing the timeout and the challenge easily trumped benefit of winning and having the 5% chance of Minnesota blowing the 4th down. I thought it was Lovie-esque.

Goats of the game: Defensive line (nobody was making plays out there), coverage units, Weems (that idiot nearly got us 15 yards at the end of the game).

Stars of the game: Forte (I thought he looked better than he did a week ago), Martellus (he's caught everything thrown his way so far...it looks like he's over the "hands" issues that plagued him earlier in his career), Hester, and Marshall. Jay was a borderline star, but his blunders resulted in a 14 point swing so I can't include him on the list.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +573 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    181ß
    somebody said Peppers has a really bad case of flu. Let's see what he does next week.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Zac

Zac Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

That may explain his poor play but nobody else is doing anything either. The entire unit needs to step up, both individually and as a whole.
  6. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,429 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    I wouldn't say "bad Jay" is back, because that fumble wasn't necessarily on him, and that interception in the end zone could have been replaced with a bootleg or a run.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,178 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    I like to think this team can get 20-30% better but it's got to be w/the D line, and the GL offense. The rest of the improvement % is with Tucker's scheme. Honestly, I miss Izzy.
  8. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,310 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    589ß
    Its almost if Emery is a mad scientist, who developed a machine that sucked all of the talent from our DL, and injected it directly into our brand new OL.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    & I'd throw in that while I wasn't pleased that one to Marshall, it looked like it was up there for Brandon to go up & get which is what he usually does. Looked like he shied away from the contact right at the end.

The only one I had a problem was the end zone INT. Jay rolling out & spreading the field if it had to be a pass would have been nice. That's why we have the Jolly Green Giants as receivers for... in the red zone. Hopefully he learns from this...