Report: Jairus Byrd ‘makes a lot of sense’ for Chicago Bears

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Mar 4, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,862 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    114ß
    FWIW

2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +498 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    322ß
    Byrd made almost $7M last yr and was unable to agree to a new deal. I think he will want to much and be out of range. TJ Ward is a nice consolation prize and Antoine Bethea from Indy are probably more realistic for the high end guys

upload_2014-3-4_16-32-44.png
  3. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +190 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The author obviously knows NOTHING about the Bears Cap situation. Nothing to learn here.
  4. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +639 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    I dunno guys...just sayin...
    • Like Like x 1
  5. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    why couldnt we offer him a friendly contract fr us of about 40mil/5y, we have room guys!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,468 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    702ß
    I respect Dan Pompei as a very good and analytical sportswriter and I do see his point. Byrd is the #1 FA prospect period and he'll cost you no more than it will to sign either of the two top DE's or Henry Melton either in all likelihood. So does it come down to spending $40 mil or so on a pass rusher or the same on a Safety?

Emery can afford Byrd if that's the way he wants to go. He can also let Melton go if he won't take a deal with some incentives and he can draft Donald or Jernigan one of whom will almost surely be on the board at #14. He can also blow off the two top FA DEs and look for aging vet bargains like Allen or Tuck for one or two year deals again, bring back Wootton and hope he strikes gold in the middle rounds of the draft because the top DE prospects may not be worth where they're ranked.

But no matter what he does he needs to come away from FA with at least two defensive starters and quite possibly the same from the draft so if he has a plan I'm anxious to see it in action. Since he's fast becoming the king of one year deals I won't put that past him but I really don't see how it makes the team younger on defense.
  7. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,468 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    702ß
    We can but we probably can't afford two deals like that without some restructuring of existing deals and will Emery do that. Melton is gonna be looking at number like that too and I doubt we'll agree. So let him walk, draft a DT because there are two good ones that rate a mid first pick and at least one should be on the board at #14. There are no dynamite sure thing RDEs in the draft besides Clowney so either keep Pep or look for a cheaper vet alternative like Jared Allen, re-sign Wootton (if they can) and punt the DE spot for another year.
  8. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +498 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    322ß
    I thought up til this last weekend we were in the drivers seat with Peppers, starting to think we may be along for the ride.