Robbie Gould Disagrees with PAT Move.................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Apr 2, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,873 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,629ß
    Gould disapproves of XP experiment
    April, 1, 2014
    Apr 1
    2:15
    PM ET

By Jeff Dickerson | ESPNChicago.com

CHICAGO -- Chicago Bears kicker Robbie Gould disagrees with the NFL’s decision to move extra-point attempts back to the 20-yard line in the first weeks of the 2014 preseason.

Last week at the NFL meetings in Orlando, Fla. league owners agreed to a two-game experiment in the first two weeks of the preseason to increase the distance of extra points to the equivalent of a 38-yard field. The league will consider a proposal to permanently push all extra-points back to the 25-yard line at a later date.

[+] Enlarge[​IMG]
    Andrew Weber/USA TODAY SportsBears kicker Robbie Gould thinks moving extra points back increases the possibility of injury. The extra point is currently snapped from the two-yard line and is the equivalent of a 20-yard field goal.

“I’m not in favor of the extra point being moved back to the 20-yard line, Gould said Tuesday. “First of all, there are a lot of safety issues. The NFL changed the rules based on people coming off the edge really hard to dive at a kicker’s leg. You’ve moved a guy off the center to protect his spine and I think that’s a fantastic idea. Moving the extra point back to the 20-yard line, that essentially gives every single person now a green light to rush. That means it puts every blocker at risk because there is no risk of a fake.”

Gould, the third most accurate kicker in NFL history, feels the NFL is penalizing kickers for being successful. Gould connected on 45-of-46 extra point attempts last season, and is 323-of-325 (99.4 percent) over his nine-year Bears’ career. He signed a four-year contract extension in late-December worth $17,930,425 with $8.85 million in guarantees.

“Because Tom Brady and Peyton Manning and these guys have become so good at passing the football and going over 5,000 yards per season, are you going to get rid of play action passing?” Gould said. “A linebacker or a defense is so good at blitzing, are you going to get rid of that? No, you’re going to embrace it. The NFL has made our position become so good because the competition is so thick, if you fail to perform; they’ll cut you right away and get somebody else regardless of your salary because kicker’s salaries usually don’t mean a ton in regards to the salary cap.

Instead of embracing how good the position has become like they for other positions, they’re actually trying to diminish what that position has become and completely overhaul it.”

The former All-Pro kicker is also concerned about how lengthening the distance of extra points will affect the legacies of NFL kickers. Gould is the Bears all-time leader in 100-plus point seasons (seven) and single-season field goal percentage (26-of-29, 89.7 percent in 2008 and 2013), while ranking second behind Kevin Butler in points (1,025), field goals made (234) and extra points (323).

“How can you compare kickers?” Gould said. “How are you going to compare Kevin Butler to Bob Thomas? How are you going to compare Bob Thomas versus Robbie Gould? Or Morten Andersen versus Robbie Gould? If these rules changes become permanent you’ll never be able to compare kickers like you do quarterbacks because it’s never going to be the same anymore. It changes the entire integrity of the game.”

However, Gould believes the NFL was correct when the league owners voted to lengthen the height of the goal posts from 30 to 35 feet.

“Now, the new rules change in regards the uprights is an awesome, awesome rule,” Gould said. "If I told you to lie down and I threw a ball across your face and told you to tell me when you see it, realistically, you’re probably not going to see it. Same thing with the officials with where the NFL has them stand.

So what they’re going to do is take the official out of the play and remove all doubt. I love it. You’re going to know for sure if a kicker made it because the uprights are going to be long enough where most kickers are not going to be able to kick the ball over the uprights, especially when you’re talking about mid-range to longer field goals.”
  2. Trackguy

Trackguy Veteran

Ratings:
    +170 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    Why have metal uprights at all? Laser beams!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,873 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,629ß
    Should be easy enough to do and very 21st century. Just short little stubs sticking up of the end of each upright throwing a beam into the air. If it hits the beam a signal goes off (like crazy maniacal laughter if it's the visitors) and the kick is no good. No refs needed. They can go polish the instant replay screen.
  4. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,197 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    95ß
    I'd like to see those lasers work in the fog. I would like to see micro RFID chips to determine crossing the plane of the GL, possession, and out of bounds.
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,873 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,629ß
    Fans.......very, very large fans. :18_1_104v[1]:
  6. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +114 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    43ß
    I'm not sure how very large fans would help.
    image.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,873 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,629ß
    I meant a ventilation fan........not a Packer fan! :packsheep: :rofl2:
  8. Loki

Loki Assault Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +3,506 / 17 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    611ß
    With sharks?
  9. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,581 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    810ß
    Wonder if hard rain (or snow) would break the beam and render them useless.
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,873 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,629ß
    I ray beams could hold up the entire planet of Mongo in the Flash Gordon movie then a little snow and rain won't bother a laser beam. Jerry Jones assures us of this we all he always get his way. :3_7_6[1]:
  11. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +336 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    167ß
    And an anorexic Packer fan at that!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,910 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    921ß
    I łove Gould, but why would ANY kicker like this rule? It makes their job more difficult.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,581 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    810ß
    ooohhh... I thought you were trying to say that Packer fans blow. I know you would never say that.
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,403 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    821ß
    Aren't blockers at risk to injury all game long (not just blocking for PAT's)? I'm all for player safety, but at some point I think we have to acknowledge that professional sports involve risk of injury, and it's not just blockers blocking. There are injuries at all positions. I don't think you'll ever remove all risk in sports. I agree with Benj that he's just upset because it makes his job harder. I don't see him laying awake at night worried about a blocker getting an injury on a PAT.
  15. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +672 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    361ß
    This easy one, Bob Thomas SUCKED BIG TIME throw in Avellini and that was literately the dog shit decade of all decades. I should know we had season tickets and boy did it suck going to those games. Getting kicked in the nuts would have been a better choice than going to those games back then.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,019 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,051ß
    Stupid drunk kickers should keep their mouths shut.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,873 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,629ß

You mean like this. :packsheep:hey there, you, hey Packer fan. :blowme:

I'm glad my daughters don't post here. Two of them are huge Packer fans. :sad44: I've failed miserably in that regard.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,873 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,629ß
    What I get out of it most is that he's afraid it will affect the records that have been set and those in the future the same way that gaining 1000 yards rushing when teams played 12 games a season is a whole lot different than a 16 game season. We'll have record books full of asterisks.

I'm not down with it either. I think it's pointless. Either leave it the way it is or just do away with it and substitute a run or pass for the PAT. Plus one point if you succeed and minus one point if you don't. That adds interest. This deal just extends boredom from the 2 yard line to the 25. After they get used to the distance the success rate won't decline all that much. Plus you're giving kickers in domed stadiums a huge advantage over those who kick in the wind and cold like Robbie does. Factor that in and maybe he really is the best kicker after all.
  19. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    80ß
    I feel ya brother....My Oldest Son and Nephew I helped raise are both Cheeseheads and my StepSon is a Bucs/Giants fan.....My Daughter and Wife are Bear fans so I guess i'm at 20% lol
  20. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,873 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,629ß
    Well they were born and raised in Green Bay and still live there so I can't be too critical Bob. Makes it kind of interesting two weekends out of every fall though. The text messages flows back and forth pretty freely on those Sundays. LOL