Robbie Gould

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by e-town beardown, Nov 18, 2013.

1. e-town beardown

e-town beardown

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Feel like we all know this but how great is it to have this guy as our kicker? It gets glossed over but he is currently #3 all time FG% playing half his games in the "Windy City" at a field that routinely has torn up, awful grass, and therefore footing. And in that terrible weather today made 3 FGs, two over 35 yds. If this guy had been drafted by a dome team I don't think it's a stretch at all to think he could be #1 on that list. And while his leg strength was questionable early in his career he is now tied for the record for consecutive 50+yd FGs. No K in the league I would rather have. IMO one of the greats.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,795 / 5 / -4
    He and Tucker were both money, did you see Tucker has been perfect in away games? How odd is that? Think 7 perfect away game kicks from 40+ for Tucker. Gould is money no doubt though, it was just nice to see 2 kickers really going at it b/c the O's were held down by bad weather.
  3. JPosh2012

JPosh2012

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    Gould NEEDS to be resigned.
  4. The Benjamin

The Benjamin Bear Down Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,270 / 3 / -6
    He is going to make a mint.... But how much can you realistically pay a kicker?
  5. soulman

soulman

Ratings:
    +812 / 0 / -0
    Good points by both of you JP and Benji. How much can you play him and yet it would be kind of foolish not to pay him whatever it takes to keep him. As far as I can see his combination of leg strength, accuracy, and clutch kicking make him one of the top two or three PKs in the NFL and the guy wins games for you when you need him to.

A dome team or a team playing in the South may not have to invest in a PK and a Punter the way the Bears do but when you're playing half your games in Chicago, outdoors and in some of the worst winds and weather in the country you need the best at both spots and as it stands Robbie is the best in the NFL at working in those conditions.

What I see is Robbie getting a new deal but the Bears looking for a less expensive replacement for Podlesh if they can find one. To me he's nowhere near as valuable overall as Robbie is but he's still one of the best punters the Bears have ever had as far as distance and placement. Neither of these guys would be easy to replace but if you could only afford to keep one of them it would have to be Robbie Gould.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. short faced bear

short faced bear

Ratings:
    +1,066 / 0 / -1
    This exactly (and welcome back Soul BTW). I don't think they keep Hester next year and along with saving w/Podlesh I think a realistic deal can be done.
  7. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +818 / 1 / -0
    I agree with above.
    Gould is a must sign.
    Podlesh and Hester are meh IMO.
    Pods especially hasn't been impressive enough to risk taking a chance on a cheaper guy for.