Robbie on his tiff with Devin: "It's like a fight with your little brother"

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Jimmors, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros SuperFan

Ratings:
    +3,355 / 8 / -0
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...-gould-downplays-spat-with-bears-devin-hester

Robbie Gould downplays spat with Bears' Devin Hester
    • [​IMG]

• [​IMG]

Chicago Bears kicker Robbie Gould and return man Devin Hester engaged in a verbal spat with 5:12 left in the second quarter of the Bears' 27-21 victory on "Thursday Night Football." The incident occurred following a 46-yard kickoff return by New York Giants' Jerrel Jernigan.

Gould said the incident was just a quarrel among brothers in the heat of battle.

"I love Devin like a little brother," Gould said, per ESPNChicago.com. "It was just (that) my emotions got in the way. I was at fault. I was the wrong party in that. I love him like a brother. Once it was over, it was over. ... We both want to win. I don't want to put my teammates in a situation where I hit a [bad] kickoff like I did. There are no hard feelings. It's like a fight with your little brother."

We've seen sideline spats before, but one with the kicker? We'd love to know if Charles Tillman was saying, "Man, don't hurt the kicker" when he dragged Hester away.

Both Hester and Gould achieved milestones Thursday night. Hester's three kickoff returns for 73 yards made him Bears' all-time leader in kickoff return yards (4,643). Gould's 52-yard field goal in the third quarter tied the NFL record for most consecutive field goals made from 50-plus yards. It was Gould's 12th straight make, matchingMinnesota Vikings kicker Blair Walsh.

Brothers argue, brothers get records and the family wins. All is A-OK in Chicago.
  2. phatdude

phatdude

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    I saw this fight, but couldn't figure how or why it started. Did I miss something?
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,850 / 5 / -4
    I heard this, he said he started it and it was no thing, Hester basically downplayed it also.
  4. tey216

tey216

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I think Hester didn't want to be outshined in his own building by the opposing Kick Returner... Out of all the Bear players he was the won to get in Robbies face...? Wonder why......
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wolfman

Wolfman

Ratings:
    +1,281 / 6 / -2
    I think that's exactly it...
  6. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +201 / 0 / -0
    Devin needs to stop being terrible before he cuts into anyone on the field. The whole wedge could easily grab him every other return and yell at him for improvising into closed alleys.
  7. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz What? Me Worry? Staff Member

Ratings:
    +364 / 1 / -0
    To me this isn't news.

Players need to get more heated. Today in society players get too much attention for getting fired up. Thats part of the game.

It happens, players get passionate. Without passion they may as well be playing Frisbee.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,943 / 8 / -2
    No, he's not. If you'll recall, he set the NFL record for return yards in a game this season, he's having the second highest KR average of his career, and teams are punting away from him. He didn't get the chance to field a punt in the Minnesota or Pittsburgh game. Not to mention our ST play is considerably down this year, which means the people blocking for him are playing like crap too. I will say Devin had one mediocre performance, but he is absolutely still a threat to opposing teams.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +856 / 1 / -0
    Devin Hester won't be a Bear next year. Gould will.
  10. JPosh2012

JPosh2012

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    The Hester Rule isn't helping either. But we are also missing Toub a lot IMO.
  11. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,943 / 8 / -2
    While I, and many other Bear fans, at first, thought that was a rule against Hester, injuries have decreased significantly after the rule was adopted, so it really wasn't about Hester, just bad timing.
  12. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +3,355 / 8 / -0
    Its named the Hester Rule because it affected him the most. Obviously it was done to prevent injuries, just like eliminating the wedge formation on kickoffs. But at this point, they might as well just eliminate kickoffs altogether and spot the ball on the 20.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,943 / 8 / -2
    Not disagreeing with the name of the rule, at all, but a lot of Bears fans (myself included) thought, at first, it was BECAUSE of Hester. I agree completely on getting rid of the kickoff. There's really no need for it at this point.
  14. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +3,355 / 8 / -0
    Yeah it USED to be a battle for Field Position...now, the returner only escapes past the 20 if the kicking team screws up, so it is mostly pointless by now.
  15. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +201 / 0 / -0
    One mediocre performance? Outside of that one game he's done dick. Allow me to correct myself, outside of one good game, he's been utterly, truly and unequivocally terrible.
  16. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,943 / 8 / -2
    He didn't have the chance to return a kick against the Steelers or Vikings, so take 2 games out of 6, and we have 4 games. Out of those 4, he set an NFL record. Taking us down to 3, he's only had 1 bad game. I can't help you if you can't see our special teams isn't very good at blocking.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +201 / 0 / -0
    I can't help it if you can't see the guy going every which way but forward. It's nice that you're so loyal to him, but I'd start giving returns to Ford or Weems at this point.
  18. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +3,355 / 8 / -0
    That is the result of moving the kickoff closer...the kicking team is on your returner that much sooner, making it more difficult to "run forward," so he has to move laterally to find holes. Watch other returns...its more common then you think.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +201 / 0 / -0
    And his crappiness on punts? I know we all want the Devin of old to return, but the guy is making all the wrong cuts and now lacks the game-breaking speed to make up for it.
  20. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,943 / 8 / -2
    Our coverage team sucks and punters still fear him. Seriously, go back and look at his stat sheet for punt returns against Minnesota and Pittsburgh. ZERO

How many punt returns has he had on the season? SIX

Eric Weems and Ford probably would get the ball kicked to them more, but that would also mean the other team won't punt it out of bounds, giving us good field position, in return.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1