Roger Goodell: NFL will explore eliminating the extra point

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Jan 20, 2014.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,721 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    535ß
    Posted by Josh Alper on January 20, 2014, 6:09 PM EST
    [​IMG]Getty Images
    Patriots coach Bill Belichick lobbied the league Monday to discipline Broncos wide receiver Wes Welker for hitting and injuring Patriots cornerback Aqib Talib during a play in the AFC Championship Game.

If the league decides to punish Welker, it wouldn’t be the first time that one of the coach’s suggestions worked its way up the ladder in the league. Earlier this month, Belichick said he thought extra points were boring because of how automatic they’ve become and there’s enough agreement with him that the league will explore dropping extra points this offseason.

That was the word from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, who told Rich Eisen of NFL Network that the league is examining proposals for abolishing the extra point for pretty much the reason that Belichick cited. Goodell outlined one of the proposed changes.

“The extra point is almost automatic,” Goodell said. “I believe we had five missed extra points this year out of 1,200 some odd (1,256-for-1,261, to be precise). So it’s a very small fraction of the play, and you want to add excitement with every play. There’s one proposal in particular that I’ve heard about. It’s automatic that you get seven points when you score a touchdown, but you could potentially go for an eighth point, either by running or passing the ball, so if you fail, you go back to six.”

That would certainly eliminate the boredom of an extra point try without fundamentally changing too much about the decision that coaches already make about when to try for a two-point conversion. There will certainly be some pushback to altering a play that’s always been part of the game, but anything that would speed up the process of getting back to actual football is worth considering.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...nfl-will-explore-eliminating-the-extra-point/
  2. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,089 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    118ß
    I like the idea. The PAT is pretty much a bathroom opportunity for me.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +551 / 3 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    221ß
    How about fixing shitty referees that make some really really bad calls.
    • Like Like x 8
  4. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    Will the TV networks go for it? The PAT is another opportunity for them to squeeze in an ad in a game that takes 3 hours for 15 minutes of action. But I do like BB idea of 7 automatically and you can gamble one to get one by going for an offensive play.

Or maybe you get 6 for a TD and then line up from the 1 yard line to get an extra point and line up from the 10 yard line to get 2 extra points. How about that for changing it up.
  5. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    I think in reality the Ref's do a pretty good job considering what they have to see live at the speed players are playing. It's the crazy long rule book and the ability of TV to dissect everything yet TV reviews can only be used for some decisions which is the problem. But moving to almost full time for at least half the refs is a good idea and eventually all the men in charge will be full time I think. In turn that should mean more younger, fitter, better eyesight, better knowledge of the rule book refs.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    49ß
    Or move it back 15 yards and it'll add some drama. Or go back to Rugby roots and kick it from the point opposite from where the ball carrier crossed the goal line. In Rugby, the conversion is kicked opposite from where the ball is touched down (the origin of touchdown) after crossing the line. The more the rules narrow the scope of play, the more boring the game becomes. The NFL brain trust has a track record of dumbing down the game: I suggest they change tack and use their imagination.

If we follow their logic, they should also abandon kickoffs, punts and any other play that has a predictable ending.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    IT is a good idea but you know what really bugs me...the whole moving the kickoff back so we get more touchbacks, I understand the league is trying to eliminate injuries but a touckback is almost as fun as an extra point..
    You know what they should consider? is the CFL rule where you must kick the ball without it going out of bounds or you lose a point, as well as you have to get the ball out of the endzone or kicking team gets a point....I dont like Canadian football much but I like this rule...

In Canadian football, a single (single point, or rouge), scoring one point, is awarded when the ball is kicked into the end zone by any legal means, other than a successful field goal, and the receiving team does not return, or kick, the ball out of its end zone. It is also a single if the kick travels through the end zone or goes out of bounds in the end zone without being touched, except on a kickoff. After conceding a single, the receiving team is awarded possession of the ball at the 35-yard line of its own end of the field.

Singles are not awarded in the following situations:

• if a ball is downed in the end zone after being intercepted in the end zone
    • if a ball is fumbled outside the end zone
    • if the kicked ball hits the goalposts (since the 1970s; before then it was a live ball)
    • when a kickoff goes into the end zone and then out of bounds without being touched
    In all these cases the defending team is awarded possession of the ball at the 25-yard line.
  8. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +627 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    I DUNNO BOUT GIVIN UP NO BATHROOM TIME
    :10_5_135[1]:
  9. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,292 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    567ß
    Oh geez, how about, i dunno...reducing the amount of commercials and commercial breaks?

Nah...THAT will never happen...
    • Like Like x 1
  10. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    49ß
    How about the reviews? Timeouts? The time needed to put the ball in play? I stopped watching baseball when I started to nod off between pitches -- and that was at the ballpark! And when I was young enough to stay awake!
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,089 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    118ß
    Baseball is simply...A BORING GAME
    • Like Like x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    49ß
    No argument from me
    • Like Like x 1
  13. stonehouse91

stonehouse91 Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    This is a ridiculous idea. How often do players get hurt on those plays? How often does a game come down to a two point try? The vulnerable WR head hits I get...I don't get this one.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. inchibearfan

inchibearfan Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    "There’s one proposal in particular that I’ve heard about. It’s automatic that you get seven points when you score a touchdown, but you could potentially go for an eighth point, either by running or passing the ball, so if you fail, you go back to six.”

What's the difference with this proposal and what's going on currently if extra points are so automatic? If you go for 2 and don't get it you stay at 6.
  15. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,177 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    56ß
    Yeah, 162 more games to play 20 more. I"m asleep already. :shoot4:

Seriously though, move the EP back a ways or narrow the posts for the kick. I remember back in the day you would actually see a meaningful blocked EP that would cost a team a game.
  16. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,705 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    675ß
    Of all the reasons people find a reason to bitch about Goodell, most are irrational, this is just flat stupid, the EP is not the problem w/the game. The Refs flat blowing games to the point where it looks like a fix, or the WWE is what is wrong w/the game. The fact that you had a NFL ref in a NFCCG that was reffing multiple basketball games the week prior is the God Damned problem. That Sea/SF game was an absolute farce b/c of the refs; and it didn't have to be. The refs right now are only SLIGHTLY better then the replacements were; and the replacements had a built in excuse, they weren't professionals. The NFL needs to get full time NFL MF refs, not this BS part time bs.

Then they need to fix the helmets, this is a multi billion $ operation, and you're telling me you cannot figure out how to make a legitimate helmet, and other gear that might actually give more then an ounce of protection?

After they fix those 2 things, THEN goto actually messing w/the minutia of the game
  17. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    38ß
    Agree completely with your comments about the refs, but as far as the above, there is only so much they can do to protect the head. They cannot stop the brain from sloshing around inside the head and hitting he inside of the skull.
  18. stonehouse91

stonehouse91 Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I like the idea of putting a cross bar across the top of the goal posts, so it has to go through the uprights, under the top bar but over the bottom one. That'd be a lot more interesting. Since they change the way the defense lines up, make it a little more difficult to make the field goal.
  19. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,705 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    675ß
    Nothing is going to prevent concussions, but that doesn't mean they cannot create better equipment, ie helments, to help prevent them. The helmet we see today has been in use for 10-20+ years, they can do better.
  20. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,135 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    440ß
    I agree. As I understand it, there are safer helmets available but the league does not mandate players wear it. Many players are choosing to play with the less-safe older models. The newer and higher-tech helmets are expensive, but I don't understand why that would matter (this is a multi-billion dollar business.....paying for a helmet is chump change).

I "get it" that the problem with head impact is that the brain decelerates from a high velocity to zero velocity in an extremely short distance. And you can't overcome the basic laws of science/physics. But I do believe the helmet can be made safer, and coupled with rule changes, can help make the sport safer. I also believe that "someday" they will be able to protect knees better. Like head injuries, I don't expect they'll ever eliminate these injuries, but someday they'll have a device that isn't intrusive to the players who wear them, but will help with some better protection (and I'm not talking about the primitive things we see some players use now). That's my 2-cents worth anyway :)
    • Like Like x 1