Roger Goodell: NFL will explore eliminating the extra point

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Jan 20, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    115ß
    If they REALLY wanted to make the extra point more challenging and exciting, they ought to replace the ball with a player - and shoot that player out of a canon. Coaches could use this as a motivating tool too. If he wanted to light a fire under a player's butt to motivate him, he could put him on "canon duty" for a game or two. I'm thinking of a player like J'Marcus Webb here :-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +494 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    67ß

Seems to me that shooting a projectile out of a cannon would be too automatic as well, even using J'Webb with his poor areodynamics. Maybe we shoot J'Webb toward the side wall of the stadium, but equip him with a wing suit, so he would have to maneuver through the uprights (and also avoid the concrete wall)?

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    115ß

Or we could have the extra points played at half-time. Maybe have a designated player from each team play a badminton match while flying over Soldier Field. Winner takes all.

[​IMG]
  4. phatdude

phatdude Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'm 50/50 on this. I agree the extra point is almost too automatic. Move it back then, or adjust where the kicker kicks from so there is a chance of a block. But then they will say there is too much chance for injury.

As for player safety, I of course don't want anyone to get hurt, but the game is really starting to suffer. I remember when Urlacher said that he will hit a player and deal with the fine later. Also moving the the kick off so there was more touch backs is the worst. It's made Hester's returns weaker. Basically the league is saying they don't want to kick off, because unless it's a touchback, they are going to run it, and the risk for injury is still there. So just always start at the 20, forget the kick off too.

Like most people, I don't like change. Also I don't like seeing the "game of football" get bastardized over the years.

I agree, the tech in the gear could and should be updated. For what they charge for a ticket, a beer and a hot dog, in one day at a stadium, the NFL could build robots that could play. All we are asking for is better helmets and gear to protect knees and legs.

I also agree the Refs are getting ridiculous. Like all fans, we will complain about a Ref when the call goes against us. But even watching teams I could careless about, the calls are insane. In some games they may never call pass interference, in some games it's called for no reason. Same with hits. It is almost at WWE Ref level, you never know what type of play calling you will get.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Wolfman

Wolfman Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,814 / 10 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    150ß
    I fix all the problems with football by simply flipping the channel and watching soccer...;)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,264 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    153ß
    I think it's a combination of that and changing rules every offseason, so that refs don't have an opportunity to get used to the status quo.

Also this: If you look at Ed Hochuli's crew, they let the Bears and Pack play it out and most of the playoff games have been conservative in calling penalties.
  7. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    About the concussions, most of them can be reduced by changing the tackling rules so that a player cannot use their bodies as a projectile and ban all contact from the neck up. The only exception would be when a ball carrier lowers his head. You lower your head and drive it into an opponent, then it's your problem. Players will have to learn to tackle. There won't be many ooh-ahh hits, but there will be more retired players who can pee without assistance.

If they did this, then they can reduce all of the dumb down rules that are ruining the game (at least for me).
  8. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    They can learn to tackle by watching or playing rugby......those guys without a lot of equip are relatively injury free, a lot of dislocated joints but they run off on their own usually
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Seqq34

Seqq34 Rookie

Ratings:
    +47 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'm not a fan of deleting the extra point play.
    If there was a change, i would be favorable for moving the ball back and/or even bringing the posts closer together, comparable to arena league. Make it challenging, but don't erase it.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +605 / 5 / -20
    ßearz ßuckz:
    309ß
    If they want more excitement, move the damn kick-off back 5 yards. I am sick of watching Hester kneel in the end zone.
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    115ß
    Yesterday I was listening to folks discuss this, and one had a simple solution. He said to just kick the extra points from the 35 yard line (or even longer.....what ever it takes to make the extra point NOT a sure thing). Problem solved.

Why do people make stuff like this so complicated? It sure seems like a "knee jerk" reaction for Goodell to all of a sudden want to cut this from the game entirely. It's been a part of the history of the game for many years. Why get rid of it?
  12. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,480 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    299ß
    One person I heard n the radio said it was to solve the issue of time, the NFL wants it's games in a 3hr block, but w/all the reviews/challenges the times have been creeping up the last few years so they could save a couple min's by just removing the xp, which is now a meaningless endeavor.

I don't agree w/that. It seems that Goodell is trying to remove ALL special teams, other then Punts, I don't an issue w/Goodell most the time, but the xp thing is a bridge to far.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Wolfman

Wolfman Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,814 / 10 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    150ß
    Because the NFL is sportsmatrainment....Goodell is not maintaining the integrity of a Sport; he is marketing an Entrainment/Consumer product....the NFL, now with 133% less extra points....sorry, to be so cynical....
    • Like Like x 2
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    115ß
    But wouldn't it be more entertaining if they backed up the kickers and made it more competitive? I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, so maybe I'm missing something here. But to me, if you want to make it more entertaining, just make it more entertaining. Back up the kicker so it's not a sure thing. Goodell wanting to cut it from the game seems like overkill. It's more like a "surgery with a chain saw" approach. Basically this was what the people were saying on the show I was listening to yesterday. This didn't seem like rocket science to them, if you just back the kicker up to make the kicks more challenging - problem solved. I agree 100%.

p.s. If they REALLY want to make the game more entertaining they should get rid of Goodell, not the PAT's.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,264 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    153ß
    No, you're right, and wasn't part of the reason why he was eliminating this, was because of how many minutes are wasted between the touchdown and kickoff? If 17 XPs were missed in the last 3 years, out of thousands, there is absolutely no reason to keep it around. I'm still in the camp of "kick a FG past 60 and you get 4 points", but that will have to wait.
  16. JoeBear

JoeBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Yes, extra points can be boring. But the problem I have with eliminating them is that it changes the strategy of the game. There have been numerous times when a coach has had to make the choice of taking th easy 1 point or risk the much harder 2 point conversion. Let's be honest, a 2 point conversion is a 4th down and goal that only gets you 2 points. With 3 minutes left and down by 3 a coach might take the 1 and win with a FG. If the 2 pt fails a last minute FG only ties. Anyway, just saying, it takes one more decision out of the coaches hands.

Maybe moving back might be a better solution. Then you really force the coach to choose which is better.
  17. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,162 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    21ß
    I'd be ok with 4 for 50yd FG's and 5 for 60 before they messed w/the PAT.
  18. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,480 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    299ß
    They'd still have to make that decision though b/c it would be take the free 7 points, or go for an 8th, but if it doesn't work you only get 6.
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    115ß
    I think you hit on the real reason Goodell is wanting this change. I wish he'd just be honest with the fans and say this is the reason. The "automatic" aspect of the extra point is easy to fix by simply making the kick distance more challenging. But if the real reason is to cut the overall time of a football game to where it (again) fits into a 3 hour time block - then just be honest about it. And heck, if he want to cut out special teams entirely, then float that idea and talk about it honestly.

If the only reason to make the change is to make it more "challenging" to get the extra point, then it's a no-brainer to just increase the distance to whatever actually makes the extra point challenging again. You could easily review recent FG data and pick the success percentage that they desire. Problem solved. Unless, as you point out Ric, there's actually a different thing going on here with Goodell, other than what he's telling us fans.
  20. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,162 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    21ß
    Just wondering out loud: So if Goodell makes changes, does he make them to shorten the 3 hr time block thereby shortening revenue or does he just move the spot back?