Roger Goodell: NFL will explore eliminating the extra point

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Jan 20, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,770ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    If they REALLY wanted to make the extra point more challenging and exciting, they ought to replace the ball with a player - and shoot that player out of a canon. Coaches could use this as a motivating tool too. If he wanted to light a fire under a player's butt to motivate him, he could put him on "canon duty" for a game or two. I'm thinking of a player like J'Marcus Webb here :-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    870ß

Seems to me that shooting a projectile out of a cannon would be too automatic as well, even using J'Webb with his poor areodynamics. Maybe we shoot J'Webb toward the side wall of the stadium, but equip him with a wing suit, so he would have to maneuver through the uprights (and also avoid the concrete wall)?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,770ß

Or we could have the extra points played at half-time. Maybe have a designated player from each team play a badminton match while flying over Soldier Field. Winner takes all.

[​IMG]

4. phatdude

phatdude Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    110ß
    I'm 50/50 on this. I agree the extra point is almost too automatic. Move it back then, or adjust where the kicker kicks from so there is a chance of a block. But then they will say there is too much chance for injury.

As for player safety, I of course don't want anyone to get hurt, but the game is really starting to suffer. I remember when Urlacher said that he will hit a player and deal with the fine later. Also moving the the kick off so there was more touch backs is the worst. It's made Hester's returns weaker. Basically the league is saying they don't want to kick off, because unless it's a touchback, they are going to run it, and the risk for injury is still there. So just always start at the 20, forget the kick off too.

Like most people, I don't like change. Also I don't like seeing the "game of football" get bastardized over the years.

I agree, the tech in the gear could and should be updated. For what they charge for a ticket, a beer and a hot dog, in one day at a stadium, the NFL could build robots that could play. All we are asking for is better helmets and gear to protect knees and legs.

I also agree the Refs are getting ridiculous. Like all fans, we will complain about a Ref when the call goes against us. But even watching teams I could careless about, the calls are insane. In some games they may never call pass interference, in some games it's called for no reason. Same with hits. It is almost at WWE Ref level, you never know what type of play calling you will get.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wolfman

Wolfman Assistant Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    178ß
    I fix all the problems with football by simply flipping the channel and watching soccer...;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    942ß
    I think it's a combination of that and changing rules every offseason, so that refs don't have an opportunity to get used to the status quo.

Also this: If you look at Ed Hochuli's crew, they let the Bears and Pack play it out and most of the playoff games have been conservative in calling penalties.

7. billatter

billatter Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    238ß
    About the concussions, most of them can be reduced by changing the tackling rules so that a player cannot use their bodies as a projectile and ban all contact from the neck up. The only exception would be when a ball carrier lowers his head. You lower your head and drive it into an opponent, then it's your problem. Players will have to learn to tackle. There won't be many ooh-ahh hits, but there will be more retired players who can pee without assistance.

If they did this, then they can reduce all of the dumb down rules that are ruining the game (at least for me).

8. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    294ß
    They can learn to tackle by watching or playing rugby......those guys without a lot of equip are relatively injury free, a lot of dislocated joints but they run off on their own usually

• Like Like x 1
  9. Seqq34

Seqq34 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    265ß
    I'm not a fan of deleting the extra point play.
    If there was a change, i would be favorable for moving the ball back and/or even bringing the posts closer together, comparable to arena league. Make it challenging, but don't erase it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,715ß
    If they want more excitement, move the damn kick-off back 5 yards. I am sick of watching Hester kneel in the end zone.