Ron Jaworski: "Cutler not worth a long-term deal"

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Nov 15, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,808 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    67ß
    This is an Insider article so I can't post it here.....just a sentence or two and the LINK. He doesn't like Cutler's inconsistent mechanics, fumble rate (worse than every NFL quarterback except for Michael Vick), low QBR & "warning signs that would scare" him away from a long-term contract.

Jaws: "Based on what I've seen from Cutler this season, I simply don't think he's earned a longer deal, and I would not sign him to a big contract this offseason."

He really slams him for not taking care of the football: "Jay Cutler has fumbled the ball at an alarming rate during his NFL career."

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  2. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
  3. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,192 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    Jaws, you lost a LOT of credibility this season already...
    • Like Like x 2
  4. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,155 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    Yeah no kidding right. I remember when he was on "Edge NFL Matchup" I really enjoyed his analysis then. I don't know if you can regress as a commentator but I would suspect he just tows the modern company line, expounds platitudes, and is in the area of "the current guy is the G.O.A.T." etc.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +3,959 / 8 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    141ß
    He fumbled a lot because he was always getting pressured/sacked. Better OL = less fumbles.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,423 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    170ß
    He's still fumbling to much though, his TD to TO ratio is just short of 1:1(23 td's to 21 turn overs/14int's 7 fumbles).
    In this league it's to important to take care of the ball, and being at a near 1 for 1 is going to cost your team games against the best teams.
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,808 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    67ß
    Jay's pocket awareness could be better. He often doesn't sense the defender about to knock the ball out of his hand. I do think his "internal clock" has been improved a bit with Trestman. He seems to be getting the ball out quicker than in past years.......I don't base that on any stats, it just seems like that from watching him, so I could be wrong.
  8. Seqq34

Seqq34 Rookie

Ratings:
    +47 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Not sure what Ron is looking at but Jay's play and numbers are no different than any other year lol He's inaccurate at times, forces plays, doesn't read D's quickly or correctly. Jay has good qualities as well which is why coaches, players and fans fall in love with him...possible potential......guilty here!

IMO Jay will sign a med-high 4 year deal. Hopefully they still draft a QB and let him marinate like Rodgers did in GB...I doubt they will break up the Cutler/Marshall connection next year. I know that sounds childish, but i feel it is the reality of the situation. Kind of reminds me of women who see potential in a guy and think they can change him lol usually ends in divorce...
  9. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,192 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    To be fair, that fumble for a touchdown against the Vikings that almost cost us the game was 100% on the blocking scheme, for allowing someone to hit him from his blindside.
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,423 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    170ß
    Part of these fumbles are b/c he holds the ball to low though, ya some fumbles, hell some int's are just going to be great D play's, but all QB's suffer from those; it doesn't mean they end up w/a 1 to 1 ratio though.
  11. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +592 / 4 / -16
    ßearz ßuckz:
    179ß
    Yeah, I don't get all this obsessing over Cutler. This offense is solid. Bears management should be focused on defense. One way or another, we must come up with at least one blue-chip pass rusher and a safety who can cover and tackle. Having said that, we won't have the cap room to get FA defenders if Cutler breaks the bank with his new contract. That's what makes me nervous.
  12. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    47ß
    I wonder if it could come down to this : if the Bears lose most of their games and their draft position is high enough and they think they can get a good QB , they might cut bait . If they wind up 8-8 and their draft spot isn't high enough maybe they keep him .

I also believe that Trestmans input will be the deciding vote . If he truly believes he can win with Jay they'll keep him .
  13. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,192 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    SWC came up with this CRAZY idea a while back, and I wonder if it will work: Having a QB stay in the same system for consecutive seasons, especially when that system WORKS, just MIGHT solve some of his problems. What annoys the **** outta me is that, people are all over the place when talking about Cutler. He has a good game, he's the greatest Chicago Bears QB, but when he has a bad one, Rex 2.0. I'm not gonna say I'm not guilty of that, but I don't see too many people praising him for fixing 2 major flaws in his game: Only looking for/throwing to Marshall and having BAD footwork when throwing the ball. Other than this last Lions game, I'd never even realized how much his footwork had improved, and his footwork was something MANY of us were concerned about. Now what's his problem? Not checking down to the RB enough(I think I'm the only one complaining about that)? Or holding onto the ball too long. Okay, but if Trestman was able to fix the other flaws in his game, why wouldn't a second season with him possibly fix these two? Just maybe?

While we're talking Quarterbacks, I'd just like to remind all of you that anytime anyone thinks there's a realistic chance we could "get by" with McCown + rookie, over any combination that involves Jay Cutler, one of the 85 Bears dies.
  14. CaptainHookShot

CaptainHookShot Rookie

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    We're not looking to 'get by', we're looking to dominate. And although the 85' bears are all Chicago has to go by, I personally wouldn't mind rattling off 2 or 3 in a row. Maybe Cutty can squeak one out, if the defense plays well beyond its means. But realistically we need a qb that can do it for us consistently so we can challenge NO, NE, DEN, SEA, SF, GB and whatever team pops up in the meantime. Cutler is good. I want GREAT.
  15. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,192 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    You completely missed the point of the last part of that post. Also, if it were easy to replace Cutler, I'm sure it would've been done by now. Dude's got a lot of flaws in his game, BUT, if Jim Harbaugh can fix Alex Smith, I'd bet double of everything I'm worth to say that Trestman can probably fix Jay's problems. He's already shown vast improvements, mechanically, from last year, and while he's suffered more injuries than I care to have in a QB, you just don't replace him with a rookie, unless you're a GM or HC that doesn't really care for your job.
  16. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +114 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Another point worth considering are the salary implications of letting him go and start anew. There is obviously a lot of QB talent this year, and with the new rookie wage scales, you could be saving 13-15M/yr with someone new under center. That is a lot of coin for re-tooling an aging team. Food for thought.
  17. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,192 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    The following teams, off the top of my head are also looking for quarterbacks going into the offseason: Cleveland(Hoyer isn't being looked at as a long term solution), Houston(Case Keenum isn't being viewed as a "lock", by any means), Tennesee(Jake Locker, the rumors are coming from the front office, is no longer being considered a "Franchise Quarterback"), Oakland(Pryor isn't good), Minnesota(If I need to explain this one, I'll have an embolism, stroke, heart attack, exploding head syndrome and a seizure before I can formulate any words), Jacksonville(see: Minnesota), Tampa Bay(see: Minnesota), and Arizona(Palmer is washed up, and is really just a bandaid for right now), AND they all pick before us. Even though this is a deep draft for QBs, we're not likely to get one we want in the first round.

There is also NO free agent, besides Jake Locker, that will be worth even having a backup, so.....Jay it is.
  18. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    I'll just say it, I want Jay back for one more year (FT), but if Trestman thinks he can be the one, then they need to try and get a longterm deal done this year (cheaper because of the injury).

BTW- the injuries to Jay have been all kind weird. The thumb, the groin, the ankle, the knee. It does need to be considered when looking at his price.

85 million over 5 years to me seems reasonable, but do we think that Jay would get a better offer else where. If he does I think we let him walk AFTER the FT.

Flacco turned down a very good deal in his final year and it cost the Ravens 120 million.
  19. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    No kidding! I don't Kaperneck is bad but he sure won't be a great one. He's good but not great.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,192 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    Like EVERY QB who got by, because opposing defenses just couldn't figure out his game, in his first season as a starter, teams began to play against his weaknesses this year, the 49ers have to figure out how to get around that. Jaws, who's forgotten more about football than I'll probably ever know, overlooked that most first year starters are usually in for a wakeup call in their second season starting. With that said, to make a declaration that Kaepernick could be one of the greatest of all time, and then Kaep has the season he has(good, not great), kinda damages his credibility when talking about other quarterbacks.