Rookie Review: DE Cornelius Washington

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Feb 7, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,688 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,198ß
    FWIW.

2. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,231 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    152ß
    Corn Wash needs a workout buddy like Jeffery and B.M. on the d line. Without someone like Rod or someone like that to learn under I can't see this guy developing a ton.
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,309 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,478ß
    I'm guessing CornWash not doing it right often enough, as well as Shea also not developing is a large portion of the reason the DL coach is gone. Same for the LB coach when you look at how Bostic and Greene played. If the plan is to get the Def younger quickly, then you'll need someone that can quickly teach the young guys and get them up to speed.

I agree w/SFB, seems they could use a guy on the team to hang w/in the offseason and work on some technique.
  4. Bear_40

Bear_40 Veteran

Ratings:
    +36 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    Agree - if the coaches aren't capable of coaching up a player, then a vet needs to step in and make a difference. CW has a lot of upside, it would be a shame to waste it.
  5. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    Some guys have all the physical gifts in the world, but just aren't coachable. Some guys are as perfect fundamentally as you can ask for, but they lack the physical attributes. In fact, every major professional sport is littered with guys like these. It's only those select few that are gifted to have the physical attributes and are willing and able to be coached into the fundamentals that find a role in professional sport. Washington is in the former category, and sometimes it just takes a year or two for the light bulb to come on, and obviously, all too often the light bulb remains dark. Time will tell, but it's guys like this that you use those late round picks on. Ya never know what you're gonna get.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Bear_40

Bear_40 Veteran

Ratings:
    +36 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    Very true. We've seen plenty of these that's for sure. Now that the crappy coaches are gone (?), perhaps someone will flip the switch on for him.
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,309 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,478ß
    Webb, the Bears former LT was like this, had all the measurables to be a good starting LT, just didn't have that extra push to want to be better.
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Bear_40

Bear_40 Veteran

Ratings:
    +36 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    Just seeing Webb's name makes me shutter! Think I'll go put me pistol to my head.... :-)
  9. 4dabers

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    Perfect example.
  10. 4dabers

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    He's not worth it bro! Think of the mess!;)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +289 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    10 snaps, how the hell can you evaluate that from out side?

No idea what he will be but I hope he develops into a serviceable DE.
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,309 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,478ß
    I hope he develops into a pro bowl DE, but the way you evaluate it is this:
    He was on a team that was riddled w/inj's to the position; the 1st round rookie from the previous year was a complete failure and instead of getting more time, he was benched in favor of another teams practice squad guy(Bass) who got a ton more playing time. That speaks VOLUMES about how well he played in games and how little he showed during the week.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +708 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    965ß
    Maybe, but the defensive line coach just got fired. Maybe the next one will be a better teacher for CornWash. We're going to know by next season. Don't write him off yet.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,309 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,478ß
    true, but Bass took his place and looked every bit the part, so right now Corny is what he is, a deep depth guy who has a lot of learning to do.
  15. 4dabers

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    I really don't think that Ric, myself, or anyone else is "writing him off" yet, that would be short sighted and unfair. I think we're just saying he's a long shot. By definition, "Long Shots" still have a chance, just not a very good one. I'm certain the Bears coaching staff would like to see ALL their depth guys develop to be starter quality (especially in positions of great need), after all, that is one of the best ways to be a championship team.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    870ß
    pumao, pumao.... Polish for relax.

Typically picks in rds 5 thru 7 have the attributes without the skill set. Good Coaching and Veteran leadership often makes or breaks these players. He got wet behind the ears last year. Hopefully D-line coaching changes help. Michael Bennett was not very good his first few years either. ROT Mills is an exception, not the norm
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,688 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,198ß
    I also remind myself that some players are just destined to be backups, yet they can still play a valuable role on the team if they are high-quality backups. Quality depth (the guys that fill out any roster) can make-or-break a season. I'm always impressed when teams get decimated with injuries some years, and go on to win their division, or go deep in the playoffs - and in some cases go on to win Super Bowls. Other teams with poor quality depth, simple go belly-up and tank the season when the backups are so poor they can't step up. I'd be happy if Washington could mature & improve so that he would be a really solid young backup. If he ends up a quality starter someday, then all the better. And if he ends up a bust, well, I don't mind it quite so much when it's a late-draft pick. It's the 1st round busts that get me steamed.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +404 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    95ß
    Definitely important to remember. Makes me think of Izzy Idonije, he was never a consistent starter until late late in his career with us but he was always a very big contributer in a multitude of ways beside that. Always blocking kicks and providing quality rotation on that DL and flexibility. In ten years (or even by now?) no one will remember him outside of Chicago fans and even some of them will forget quite quickly. But people like that are essential.
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,688 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,198ß
    Funny you brought up Izzy. He was one guy I thought of when I typed that. I'm not saying this guy will be anything like Izzy, but the point is, that non-starters can be very valuable to a team. All teams have injuries every year. That last half of the season is usually a situation where a lot of teams are badly hurt by injuries to key players. That's where having high quality depth is so critically important, and that's where guys like Washington (if he pans out) can be important to the team, even if he's never starter quality.

Part of our woes this past season, was a lack of high quality depth (heck on D some of our starters stunk). The one bright spot was on offense, at QB. I was amazed with McCown's ability to keep us going when Jay went down.