Rookie Review: DE Cornelius Washington

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Feb 7, 2014.

1. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    240ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    10 snaps, how the hell can you evaluate that from out side?

No idea what he will be but I hope he develops into a serviceable DE.

2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,764ß
    I hope he develops into a pro bowl DE, but the way you evaluate it is this:
    He was on a team that was riddled w/inj's to the position; the 1st round rookie from the previous year was a complete failure and instead of getting more time, he was benched in favor of another teams practice squad guy(Bass) who got a ton more playing time. That speaks VOLUMES about how well he played in games and how little he showed during the week.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,715ß
    Maybe, but the defensive line coach just got fired. Maybe the next one will be a better teacher for CornWash. We're going to know by next season. Don't write him off yet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,764ß
    true, but Bass took his place and looked every bit the part, so right now Corny is what he is, a deep depth guy who has a lot of learning to do.

5. 4dabers

4dabers Pro-Bowler
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    613ß
    I really don't think that Ric, myself, or anyone else is "writing him off" yet, that would be short sighted and unfair. I think we're just saying he's a long shot. By definition, "Long Shots" still have a chance, just not a very good one. I'm certain the Bears coaching staff would like to see ALL their depth guys develop to be starter quality (especially in positions of great need), after all, that is one of the best ways to be a championship team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,912ß
    pumao, pumao.... Polish for relax.

Typically picks in rds 5 thru 7 have the attributes without the skill set. Good Coaching and Veteran leadership often makes or breaks these players. He got wet behind the ears last year. Hopefully D-line coaching changes help. Michael Bennett was not very good his first few years either. ROT Mills is an exception, not the norm

7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,770ß
    I also remind myself that some players are just destined to be backups, yet they can still play a valuable role on the team if they are high-quality backups. Quality depth (the guys that fill out any roster) can make-or-break a season. I'm always impressed when teams get decimated with injuries some years, and go on to win their division, or go deep in the playoffs - and in some cases go on to win Super Bowls. Other teams with poor quality depth, simple go belly-up and tank the season when the backups are so poor they can't step up. I'd be happy if Washington could mature & improve so that he would be a really solid young backup. If he ends up a quality starter someday, then all the better. And if he ends up a bust, well, I don't mind it quite so much when it's a late-draft pick. It's the 1st round busts that get me steamed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    215ß
    Definitely important to remember. Makes me think of Izzy Idonije, he was never a consistent starter until late late in his career with us but he was always a very big contributer in a multitude of ways beside that. Always blocking kicks and providing quality rotation on that DL and flexibility. In ten years (or even by now?) no one will remember him outside of Chicago fans and even some of them will forget quite quickly. But people like that are essential.

9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,770ß
    Funny you brought up Izzy. He was one guy I thought of when I typed that. I'm not saying this guy will be anything like Izzy, but the point is, that non-starters can be very valuable to a team. All teams have injuries every year. That last half of the season is usually a situation where a lot of teams are badly hurt by injuries to key players. That's where having high quality depth is so critically important, and that's where guys like Washington (if he pans out) can be important to the team, even if he's never starter quality.

Part of our woes this past season, was a lack of high quality depth (heck on D some of our starters stunk). The one bright spot was on offense, at QB. I was amazed with McCown's ability to keep us going when Jay went down.