Rosenbloom blasts the offense's performance

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Oct 14, 2013.

1. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß
  2. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +164 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    68ß
    Could you please copy the article?

I can't acces the Tribune on my PC but it works great on my smartphone... :/ Why do I have to be in the US to see premium content? :(
  3. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,480 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    No doubt the offense is a work in progress, pointing up, and light years better than it was under Lovie.
    But I'm still waiting for the O to play a full four quarters of good ball.
    Usually it's 2 good quarters and 2 pathetic ones.
    I do question some of the play calls (stop pounding Forte up the middle 80% of the time, that isn't his strength).
    The clock management still isn't at an NFL level.
    And when you have 4th and 2 from the 10 in the first half of a tie game, you TAKE THE DAMN FG.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,158 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,571ß

• How could Bears offense finish so badly against bad team?

• [​IMG]
        Bears quarterback Jay Cutler talks with head coach Marc Trestman. (Chris Sweda / Chicago Tribune / September 8, 2013)

Steve Rosenbloom The RosenBlog
        9:45 a.m. CDT, October 14, 2013

The Bears had a bad opponent at home, and the offense should’ve had a big scoring night.

Didn’t happen.

The Bears managed a couple of drives early Thursday evening, and then, pffft. Nothing. Nothing in the end zone, anyway. It’s about touchdowns, and the Bears offense should’ve gotten more.

• A Giants team that was torched 38-0 by Carolina at home stopped the Bears offense in the second half. The Bears couldn’t get in the end zone in the last two quarters against a winless team with a bad defense. Just to clarify: not a good thing.

The Giants’ miserable offense, in fact, was better than the Bears on third down and more productive in the second half. The Bears got lucky that Eli Manning threw that last interception just because that’s what he does this season.

Marc Trestman said he sees signs of progress in the offense, and I’m thinking, he apparently deleted the second half from his DVR.

It’s weird but clear the way the Bears offense and defense work together, or don’t work together.

The defense takes away the ball like it always did, but if it doesn’t also score, the Bears can’t rely on the offense to win a majority of those games.

The defense has forfeited the defensive line, which has forced the Bears to call more blitzes, which leaves them more vulnerable, which means the offense will have to win shootouts, which seemed possible early, but not lately and certainly not after that second half against a laughable Giants defense.

To be charitable, the offense is inconsistent, which the Bears can’t afford because the defense can’t consistently get three-and-outs.

The Bears either refused to commit to the run or couldn’t execute it. Trestman said he doesn’t care about the run-pass ratio or a balanced attack. He just wants the best play -- the one that gets the Bears into the end zone. Good. Fine. Like it. But how come he couldn’t find one measly play that worked in the last 30 minutes?

When the Bears had to convert third downs, Jay Cutler seemed to throw short or out of bounds. Overall, the Bears' offense scored as many touchdowns as a Giants offense quarterbacked by a guy who threw three interceptions, one for a pick-6.

Has Trestman’s play calling been figured out already? Has he failed to install all of his playbook? Is his quarterback overriding too many calls from the sideline?

Cutler has made smarter decisions this season, willingly throwing away the ball or taking checkdowns. But it might be that he isn’t settling for the short throws enough to help the offense grow.

Or maybe Cutler is audibling out of run plays too much, allowing defenses to game-plan for Cutler’s profile instead of Trestman’s playbook. That’s the most troubling possibility because Trestman is smarter under pressure. Cutler tends to play to type. If opponents believe Cutler will perform to his profile, then defenses can focus on pressuring him into bad mechanics while daring him to make the big throw that his big arm wants to make. Those don’t usually end well for the Bears.

Whatever the reason, the inconsistency is an issue. Fix this. Now. And lookee here, this looks like the week to do it. The Bears get another week in the spa that is the NFC East. They’re facing a Washington team that is 1-4, and how did it win that one?

Opposing quarterbacks have posted a rating that averages well over 100 against Mike Shanahan’s embarrassing defense, among the worst in the league.

The Cowboys started with a long, time-consuming drive. Sunday night. The Redskins were giving away first downs. The Redskins got better or the Cowboys got worse, take your pick, but still, this looks like a week when the Bears' offense gets a do-over. The offense gets a chance to look like a merciless, big-boy operation, and it had better because eventually the Bears are going to face actual football teams.

Copyright © 2013 Chicago Tribune Company, LLC
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,235 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    608ß
    Amen.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,052 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,777ß
    I had to laugh at this. What an idiot. Of course just "fix it" and while Trestman is at it, "just fix" all the things wrong with this new team and coaches. Do it by 4pm today, so Rosenbloom doesn't have to, you know, wait. Maybe I'll write Larry Mayer and tell him to pass on to Trestman that all he has to do to win a Super Bowl this year is to just "fix it" - and do it now.

Just "fix it" in time to win this year's Super Bowl. Hell, just "fix" congress, the president and cure cancer too. Just "fix it" and move on to bigger things tomorrow. World hunger maybe.

I wish somebody would "fix" Rosenbloom from his Captain Obvious ramblings. Just "fix him" and by say, tonight. :)
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,618 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    678ß
    Jay Cutler is always looking for the big play, and avoids the dumpoff pass. He started going away from this in the Detroit and New Orleans games, but got reigned in for the Giants game. Turner couldn't do it, Martz wouldn't do it, and Tice sure as **** didn't even TRY to fix it last year. Keeping Cutler conservative is beneficial to our team for four reasons this year:
    1. It keeps Jay from panicking, and trying to throw it into double coverage when we need a big play.
    2. It helps the offensive line from getting overworked early (that we have 2 rookies and an over the hill center on the line makes this very important)
    3. It keeps the defense off the field longer (aside from the Giants game, THEY ARE COMPETITIVE, but they cannot be left on the field like years past)
    4. Opposing defenses take forever to start honing in on conservative playcalling against us. When they FINALLY do, it allows for bigger pass plays
    Going back to the Saints game, I guess I might have been the only one to pick up on it, but when we were in the red zone, Cutler threw the ball away 3 times, because of coverage. On the first play, one of the running backs ran into the flat, and the closest person to him was in the end zone. If he had done the right thing, Cutler could've dumped it off to the runningback and at LEAST, we could've tried to punch it in on ensuing plays.

I agree wholeheartedly that the chance that Cutler's audibling too much is a problem, as this isn't the first offensive coordinator he's repeatedly burned time outs early in the game under.

A complaint I'm having about our offense is that we have 2 very talented runningbacks that can both catch and run the ball, but we don't seem to have them on the field at the same time. If quick passes = as much as a running play, then Forte can be used in the slot, forcing defenses to account for him, and take a little pressure off the passing game by running with Bush.
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,717 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,076ß
    I don't buy the audibles as the problem, because if they keyed up their defense based on Cutler's "tendencies" as opposed to Trestman's gameplan, and the bears actually stuck with that gameplan, then the Giants would be torched if they based their defense around Cutler, not Trestman.
  9. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,618 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    678ß
    One thing that goes with your argument is that Martz didn't allows audibles the two years he was here, and Cutler still burned the timeouts.

Going back to the main point of the article, had Jeffrey not tripped on a deep route, the Bears would've been up 34 - 14, at that point in the game. The gameplan of the offense was NOT a problem.
  10. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +713 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    428ß
    If you look at couple of plays that could have been made by Cutty and Alshon this would have been a completely different game. This offense is on the verge of being scary good and it's lot better then being the verge of destruction like in the past. We are winning without being even close to the potential of this O. It will eventually get to the point where we will only need a decent D and the monumental shift will have occurred in Chi-town.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,280 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    232ß
    Lol @ Rosenbloom, the offense is vastly better. Heck, I am just happy we can get the plays in on time with a CHANCE of winning a challenge once in a while unlike Lovie.
  12. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +249 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    209ß
    We are all tough on the team here on the board, but this guy takes the cake. I was all over Jay for the steaming pile he served us in Detroit, but over-all he is showing improvement from last year. The entire offense is playing better. Yes plenty of room for improvement with the run game but you can't ignore the positives.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    32ß
    Some of Jays best plays come on a play that simply is not there. A ball thrown out of bounds is better than an interception, a sack fumble or a hurt Jay Cutler.

I was kind of aggrevated with the lack of production in the second half, but the improvement that I saw was that we moved the ball enough to be able to force the Giants to go the full length of the field. Not a lot of short fields because of mistakes or 3 and outs.

Our Defense is built to make the opposing team go the distance with nothing over the top (more chances for mistakes).

Still want to see more points, but overall I think that we are seeing a much improved offense (one that does not hurt the already reeling Defense).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    Must have been a slow day for Rosenbozo.
    ;)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +796 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    442ß
    RosenBloomingIdiot. Worst columnist since Moronidiot. Notice a similarity? If he wants to ridicule a part of the team, go after the defense, not the offense who is light years better than it has been the last several years.
    • Agree Agree x 1