Rosenbloom questions Emery's ability to draft D

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Oct 25, 2013.

1. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +276 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    122ß
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...il-emery-rosenbloom-20131023,0,1732536.column

"Remember how you feared former Bears general manager Jerry Angelo drafting offense?

Watch out, because now it looks like Phil Emery is having the same effect on the once-proud unit known as the Bears defense.

I guess that Halas Hall seat comes with an obstructed view.

It’s early in Emery’s run and the sample size is small, so it can easily straighten out. But the trend is not good.

With the Bears’ death-spiral defense adding more injuries to its previous refusal to be in the right spot and tackle, this seems like a good time to discuss whether Emery knows how to draft defense.

The worse the defense becomes and the more you see starters and backups who can’t play tackle football at this level right now, the more you begin to think Emery is the opposite of Angelo.

Emery seems to know offensive weapons and how they work with the talent the Bears already have, but it doesn’t look like he could find a defensive difference-maker at a Lawrence Taylor sentencing hearing.

So, people, here’s your homework assignment for the Bears’ off week: Compare and contrast Shea McClellin and Brandon Hardin -- Emery’s useless first No. 1 draft choice vs. Emery’s silly pre-injured third-round pick from the same draft.

McClellin is a joke as a starter on the defensive line. Hardin had two years to get healthy, but still couldn’t win a safety spot on one of the most safety-challenged teams in the league.

McClellin is too weak to play that position in this league. He was drafted to rush the passer, but he can’t. Emery’s first draft choice is being put in position to fail, and he has. Hardin came in after missing a college season because of injury, then missed a pro season because of injury, and is missing this season because he was cut because he’s bad.

That’s some choice. That’s some referendum on Emery’s drafting ability. And even if it’s not a complete referendum, then the early exit polling is laughable.

The defensive line and safety spots are the two biggest problems on a Bears defense death-spiraling to the worst in the league. This would’ve been the season that last year’s high draft choices could’ve shown some impact.

But no. Emery apparently has given the Bears nothing at important positions, or at least positions that contending teams consider important. Geez, just draft a defensive lineman who can apply pressure regularly. Every other team seems to.

I mean, how many guys have sacked Jay Cutler that you’ve never heard of?

Chris Baker? Did you know who Chris Baker was before he interrupted Cutler’s contract drive in Washington on Sunday?

Don’t lie to me. You did not know who he was. Liar, liar, pants on fire.

That kind of kind of player deodorizes bad safeties the way Julius Peppers used to before his apparently unannounced retirement. Now, the utter lack of pressure by the Bears front four exposes Major Wright and Chris Conte.

Wright and Conte got beat deep and underneath and down the seam in Washington. Every Redskin at least 20 yards downfield made contract bonuses, I believe. Most players study playbooks on an iPad, but it looks like Wright and Conte get their game plans from an Etch-A-Sketch.

The Bears are unconscionably bad defensively and injuries are making them worse. Lance Briggs is out for at least six weeks. There goes the only guy who could tackle anybody. Emery’s whiffs on high picks in his first try are gaping wounds that are helping the Bears bleed out.

It would be nice if Jon Bostic, this year’s second-round pick, could be a star, especially because he’s now forced to start, but he’ll make as many mistakes as flashy plays. Fear for him by the time Packers QB Aaron Rodgers finishes up a week from Monday.

Emery doesn’t think it’s as bad as I do. He said the Bears have "dust on the car’" and they’ve "stepped in an oil patch." Yes. Well. Are Emery’s Bears driving or walking? Or maybe it’s one of those Flintstone cars powered by Fred’s fat feet.

Whatever, the Bears have fallen and they can’t get up. New defensive coordinator Mel Tucker said he was going to retain Lovie Smith’s defense right down to the language. So, why does this look like Dave Wannstedt’s mess right down to John Thierry?

I’ll hang up and listen for another 13-play, 80-yard drive than eats up almost half of a quarter."
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +299 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    43ß
    It's a concern. The DL his team's have drafted have been thoroughly unimpressive, but he's scouted some damn good safeties elsewhere, so maybe he can find one again.
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,135 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    440ß
    I think that if there's one thing this entire messageboard agrees on, it's that Rosenbloom is an idiot. I think the guy takes Novocain shots to the brain before he writes these articles.

I am willing to give Emery a pass on that first draft, although he did do well getting us Alshon Jeffery in that draft. His first draft after being here a full year (and with his upgraded scouting department in place) yielded what looks much better. Time will tell.

Emery inherited a team needing a lot of upgrades. It's going to take more work to back-fill the hole Angelo left us in. We drafted a small army of safeties during Angelo's regime. Talk about crappy drafts.

If Emery can give the defense, the same attention he gave the offense this past offseason, then we'll be fine. Then Rosenbloom can find other things to whine about.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,089 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    116ß
    Even though Rosenbloom is an SOB and even though Emery was new and didn't have his chosen scouts in place, the drafting of Shea and Hardin was pretty damn bad.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,135 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    440ß
    I agree, but he has begun to redeem himself with this recent draft. I feel pretty good that he will fix the defense in the off-season.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,292 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    567ß
    What a dumb stupid article
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,135 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    440ß
    I really don't read his stuff anymore. I think he writes for shock value. Kind of like a troll, but on a bigger scale. I'm serious. He knows he's stirring the crap when he writes this stuff. And it really is mindless crap. It is amazing that he gets paid to write this stuff.
  8. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,292 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    567ß
    He has had a whopping 2 drafts so far, and yes..Hardin is a bust and Shea is playing the wrong position (even Urlacher said Monday that he would be a better 3-4 OLB).

But this year..he drafted Bostic, who COULD be good/great. Greene, who will eventually replace Briggs, and Washington. You need at least 3 years to judge a draft, and we havent even come up to the 3 year mark on his FIRST draft yet.

Seriously...fuck this article. Dislike for even posting this trash.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +644 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    611ß
    What's more, he didn't say a word about my adopted Bear. He might eventually be a solid starter, but they won't even give him a chance no matter how badly McClellin plays. I get more pissed off every week this goes on.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. gammabears

gammabears Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Rosenbloom is a moron.. 'Nuff said.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +276 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    122ß
    Cram it with walnuts, pudgie mcpudge pudge. :mad:
  12. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +276 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    122ß

I hear you, DavidL. I hear you.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,135 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    440ß
    Hopefully, after the bye week, we'll see CornWash get some good reps.
  14. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,705 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    675ß
    So lets do a stock on his D draft so far:

Shea bust
    Hardin bust
    Both were done w/Lovie as HC and Angelo's scouts. 2nd year still bad

Bostic, playing, but unimpressive
    Greene, playing, but unimpressive
    Corny, played so unimpressive that Bass is now getting backup snaps
    but all three are rookies and weren't expected to have to be starting or taking to many snaps, all needed time to learn the position which is why Briggs/Williams/Anderson are here and why Wootton/Peppers were still starting and Shea was backing up.

3 were done w/Trestman as HC and w/Emery's scouts.

Need 3 years to judge? Well yes and no, I don't need 3 years to see that Shea cannot play DE or that Hardin was the CWilliams of Safeties.
    The rest of the guys from this draft? No way to know yet.

I personally don't like or dislike Rosenbloom, although he does seem to want to be the local bad guy and to often seems to try to hard, but this article is full of fail for trying to judge the Bears GM's ability to draft D, when his primary job has been to fix the O, and merely stopgap the D. We need to see what he does next year.

Where I do think you can draw comparisons to JA and Emery, and it bothers me a lot, is that they both seem to put a heavier emphasis on combine numbers then on actual play on the field. Shea didn't do anything to stand out in college, but had great combine #'s, same w/Long. Shea's a bust, Long worked out, but in the end I was hoping that the new GM for the Bears would be more impressed w/game film then combines.
  15. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,177 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    56ß
    Rosenboob is just one of those guys that likes to saber rattle to garner readership-albeit some very mad readers but I think that's where he goes half the time.

I always hoped (and feared) that Emery just isn't a polar opposite of JA (all O no D).

If Emery can draft some decent DB's I think he can take care of some of the DL woes in FA. Perhaps the revamped scouting dept. can help turn any defensive drafting weaknesses into strengths.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,089 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    116ß
    As a very early guess, I think Emery is going to have to sign one DE or DT in FA and then draft the other position high up (1st). Then use the 2nd round to get a CB. Yes, we have a ton of players not yet under contract for 2014 but I see quite a few of them being allowed to walk and a few others coming back at "reduced" (over worst fears) salary levels. For example, Cutler isn't going to command an $80-100 million contract with his injury anymore. He will probably end up being FT'd or signing a ~ 4yr/$60m deal. Melton won't command what he would have if he was coming off back to back pro bowl years. Even Wooton has seen his value decline a bit by not being able to play his best position at DE and rack up sacks. Add to that the fact that $10 million more net will be added to cap space by releasing Peppers and there's a few more that could be freed up in Weems, Bennett, and Bush. By my back of the hand calculations, we should have the cap space to retain those we want to and should and still make a move or two in outside FA.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,135 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    440ß
    +1
    Yeah. In hindsight, the 1-year deals were brilliant a move by Emery. We will have a better idea of what we're buying next year, and have a lessor chance of blowing big money on a long term dud. I totally agree with you on this.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +587 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    218ß
    Why anyone would buy the Tribune when you have morons like this writing for them makes no sense to me.
  19. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,428 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    He even admits 2 drafts are not of particular concern. The rest of this article is just conjecture and the current state of affairs. The two are not connected. Yeah, his first draft was hit or miss, but to be worried about a guy who has hit home runs with one of his 2 of his top picks from his first two drafts, and found a RT in the 5th that is holding his own, is premature. That both of our rookie linebackers have been forced to see the field too early, and will likely make many mistakes, is not a sign that they are failures. This defensive line, and our safeties are playing so poorly, that they're forgiven, at least in my book, for what happens this year. Anyhoo, Phil Emery set out to do one thing this offseason: fix the ****** o-line. There was no "need" for a defensive end, when compared to the holes on the offensive line. He did his job better than anyone thought was realistic, so unlike Roosenbloom, I think Emery deserves the benefit of the doubt, as he's succeeded in fixing our offense, with 2 amazing WR's last year, and 4 new offensive linemen this year, that all work well together.
    • Like Like x 3
  20. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +587 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    218ß
    That's too analytical and logical nothing of which Rosendumb possesses.