Rosenbloom questions Emery's ability to draft D

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Oct 25, 2013.

1. EmeryBored

EmeryBored Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I guarantee D will be a big focus in next year's draft. Lessons have been learned.
  2. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    It's painfully obvious that Shea and Hardin were Lovies choices and Emery gave him enough rope to hang himself. Can't fix everything in one draft either. Fixed the "O" line and now it's time to fix the "D". Rosenbozo is just that ......... A full blown BOZO !
    • Like Like x 1
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,310 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,478ß
    I don't know that I buy that Shea was a Lovie pick, he fits the mold of a Emery guy, not a ton of positive game film, but looked great at the combine.

Hardin on the other hand, that screams Lovie.
  4. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,588 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    Shea is simply playing the wrong position, he is a 3-4 OLB, not a 4-3 DE. People say he sucks, but yeah...because he is not being used in the correct position (since we do not run a 3-4). I think if (big IF) we switched to a 3-4, Shea would perform better at his correct position.
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,310 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,478ß
    I have no doubt he'd play better, but I don't think he's playing better then CJones in NE(playing in a hybrid 3-4/4-3 DE/OLB or The kid most wanted(Mercellius sp?) in Hou who's playing a OLB 3-4. I kind of look at it like Briggs, there are certain things Shea still has to do as a 3-4 OLB that he is struggling to do as a 4-3 DE.

Don't get me wrong though, he'd still be doing better, I just don't think it would put him in the same performance level of some of the others we passed on.
  6. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Not a fan of the article. Yes his first draft sucked but I think the second one isn't turning out too bad so far (Long & Mills especially) does it need some work? Yes but regarding Bostic & Greene remember LB is one of the hardest positions to play in the NFL.

Remember Jerry and Lovie drove this team into the ground with shitty drafts and he is trying to get us out of it. With that being said do I think Phil made some stupid draft moves? Yes. Look at Hardin and Shea. Does he need to look at performance on the field more than combine numbers? Yes.
  7. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +289 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    The Shea pick still has me scratching my head. I really think he was better off as a situational guy (passing downs), but since we let Izzy go, there was no one to take the 1st and 2nd down snaps.

Package Shea and Bush for a stud DT and I think we would be better off. Too bad there would be no takers for that situation.
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,689 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,201ß
    I don't think you could get a ham sandwich for Shea. If he is eventually cut at the end of the season, then I do think a team will sign him for training camp fodder.
  9. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Training camp fodder??? Second year player, 19th overall pick (okay "if" a mistake think what "if" round 3)...

The hate has gone to far. Like it or not Shea has been playing most of the defensive snaps. Blame injury, blame stubbornness with coaching, blame what ever you want. To go from a starting player to "Camp" fodder as a young player who doesn't have current injury issues or who hasn't been productive at all (17 tackles in 7 games per Chi's main site) would give this Rosenclown a reason to question Emery. I don't see where releasing Shea while under his rookie contract would help anyone other than the team that would pick him up at this point.

Shea McClellin > Vernon Gholston

Over-reaction theater. I have more hope in Shea than I do Peppers... Rosenclown needs to ground himself. Last year was all about O and the Line. Mission accomplished. Rookie linebacker acquisitions aren't dead yet by any stretch. Shea was a miss, Hardin couldn't stay on the field because of injury not his play. Shit happens. I have no reason to question Emery's ability to improve the defensive personnel right now.

Breathe, I'm sure there will be a time to call out Emery. Hindsight will guarantee that. Things could have been better... But that is all part of the GM's job and so far he has done well IMO.

I know players have cycled through the roster like they do... Not sure where the current count is at but we've had what 9 rookies in the 53 man roster this year?? That is how you build a team to have a chance of long term success in this league. I say good job to the Bears staff, and what a horrible article by Rosenbloom.
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  10. WearyBear

WearyBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Rosenbloom is a typical Chicago sports writer; they like negativity. The last thing these guys want is a winner because they would have to use their imagination ( sometimes I wonder if they have one ) and do a little work for a change. It's much easier to criticize than to write words of praise for a job well done. There's no need to worry he'll get run out of town just like Mariotti and Lincicome. Somebody ought to point out to these people that they are not exactly Pulitzer prize winners either. I don't read anything that this guy writes. If he knew anything about football he would know that it takes at least a 2-3 years to accurately evaluate a draft. Do yourselves a favor and pass over this guys column whenever you read the sports section. McClellan might be a bust but a lot of other general managers were ready to make the same mistake that Emery made, if indeed it turns out to be a mistake.