Rosenbloom questions Emery's ability to draft D

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Oct 25, 2013.

1. BradMustersGhost

ßearz ßuckz:
    447ß
    Cram it with walnuts, pudgie mcpudge pudge. :mad:

2. BradMustersGhost

ßearz ßuckz:
    447ß

I hear you, DavidL. I hear you.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,494ß
    Hopefully, after the bye week, we'll see CornWash get some good reps.

4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,550ß
    So lets do a stock on his D draft so far:

Shea bust
    Hardin bust
    Both were done w/Lovie as HC and Angelo's scouts. 2nd year still bad

Bostic, playing, but unimpressive
    Greene, playing, but unimpressive
    Corny, played so unimpressive that Bass is now getting backup snaps
    but all three are rookies and weren't expected to have to be starting or taking to many snaps, all needed time to learn the position which is why Briggs/Williams/Anderson are here and why Wootton/Peppers were still starting and Shea was backing up.

3 were done w/Trestman as HC and w/Emery's scouts.

Need 3 years to judge? Well yes and no, I don't need 3 years to see that Shea cannot play DE or that Hardin was the CWilliams of Safeties.
    The rest of the guys from this draft? No way to know yet.

I personally don't like or dislike Rosenbloom, although he does seem to want to be the local bad guy and to often seems to try to hard, but this article is full of fail for trying to judge the Bears GM's ability to draft D, when his primary job has been to fix the O, and merely stopgap the D. We need to see what he does next year.

Where I do think you can draw comparisons to JA and Emery, and it bothers me a lot, is that they both seem to put a heavier emphasis on combine numbers then on actual play on the field. Shea didn't do anything to stand out in college, but had great combine #'s, same w/Long. Shea's a bust, Long worked out, but in the end I was hoping that the new GM for the Bears would be more impressed w/game film then combines.

5. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    800ß
    Rosenboob is just one of those guys that likes to saber rattle to garner readership-albeit some very mad readers but I think that's where he goes half the time.

I always hoped (and feared) that Emery just isn't a polar opposite of JA (all O no D).

If Emery can draft some decent DB's I think he can take care of some of the DL woes in FA. Perhaps the revamped scouting dept. can help turn any defensive drafting weaknesses into strengths.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,153ß
    As a very early guess, I think Emery is going to have to sign one DE or DT in FA and then draft the other position high up (1st). Then use the 2nd round to get a CB. Yes, we have a ton of players not yet under contract for 2014 but I see quite a few of them being allowed to walk and a few others coming back at "reduced" (over worst fears) salary levels. For example, Cutler isn't going to command an $80-100 million contract with his injury anymore. He will probably end up being FT'd or signing a ~ 4yr/$60m deal. Melton won't command what he would have if he was coming off back to back pro bowl years. Even Wooton has seen his value decline a bit by not being able to play his best position at DE and rack up sacks. Add to that the fact that $10 million more net will be added to cap space by releasing Peppers and there's a few more that could be freed up in Weems, Bennett, and Bush. By my back of the hand calculations, we should have the cap space to retain those we want to and should and still make a move or two in outside FA.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,494ß
    +1
    Yeah. In hindsight, the 1-year deals were brilliant a move by Emery. We will have a better idea of what we're buying next year, and have a lessor chance of blowing big money on a long term dud. I totally agree with you on this.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    557ß
    Why anyone would buy the Tribune when you have morons like this writing for them makes no sense to me.

9. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    929ß
    He even admits 2 drafts are not of particular concern. The rest of this article is just conjecture and the current state of affairs. The two are not connected. Yeah, his first draft was hit or miss, but to be worried about a guy who has hit home runs with one of his 2 of his top picks from his first two drafts, and found a RT in the 5th that is holding his own, is premature. That both of our rookie linebackers have been forced to see the field too early, and will likely make many mistakes, is not a sign that they are failures. This defensive line, and our safeties are playing so poorly, that they're forgiven, at least in my book, for what happens this year. Anyhoo, Phil Emery set out to do one thing this offseason: fix the ****** o-line. There was no "need" for a defensive end, when compared to the holes on the offensive line. He did his job better than anyone thought was realistic, so unlike Roosenbloom, I think Emery deserves the benefit of the doubt, as he's succeeded in fixing our offense, with 2 amazing WR's last year, and 4 new offensive linemen this year, that all work well together.

• Like Like x 3
  10. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    557ß
    That's too analytical and logical nothing of which Rosendumb possesses.