Rosenbloom takes tackling to task

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Nov 5, 2013.

1. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...-packers-rosenbloom-20131104,0,1533440.column

Yeah, I know he is a negative nelly who always looks to stir up the fan base, BUT I was ready to put my foot through my tv when I saw Green Bay pounding us on the ground, in spite of the 8 man fronts we were playing. I doubt I was the only one who felt that way. Anyway, here's his column:

"Shea McClellin ended Aaron Rodgers’ night on the first series of Bears-Packers on Monday Night Football.

Yes, that Shea McClellin. Yes, with a sack of that Aaron Rodgers.

Slamming down the Packers quarterback in the red zone, the Bears so-called left defensive end injured Rodgers’ shoulder. Rodgers would not return. Suddenly, the NFC North looked wide open. Even for Josh McCown’s Bears.Or maybe especially for Josh McCown’s Bears.

Just like that, with Jay Cutler already out injured, it was backup vs. backup. McCown vs. Seneca Wallace. When was the last time the Bears had a quarterback advantage against the Packers?

Then, wait, after McCown magically eluded a sack and threw a remarkable 23-yard TD pass to Brandon Marshall, right defensive end Julius Peppers intercepted Wallace on the next series, deflecting the pass, then grabbing it and returning it 14 yards.

I’m not lying here. The deservedly maligned Bears defensive ends made big plays on consecutive series. If that could happen ...

... Then McCown could happen.

Marc Trestman was whispering better than anyone might’ve believed and McCown looked poised and clutch in throwing for 272 yards. McCown directed TD drives of 71 and 60 yards in the first and second quarters, closing the first half with a 93-yard field goal drive that started at the Bears 1.

The Bears led the Packers at halftime in Lambeau Field. Read that again. True fact.

But the Bears still couldn’t tackle. This is a game of blocking and tackling, but even with five sacks, the Bears still couldn’t tackle, what, nine weeks into the season.

When Eddie Lacy wasn’t slamming his way to 57 yards in the first quarter, James Starks was blasting up the middle virtually untouched for a 32-yard TD. This will be an issue going forward, no matter who isn’t quarterbacking.

But wait. There was more. After the Bears stuffed Lacy in the second quarter, they seemed to put the game in Wallace’s inept hands. But Lacy started the third quarter by blasting through a pathetic Bears eight-man front for a 56-yard run and then one more yard on the next play for the tying score.

I repeat: against an eight-man front.

McClellin couldn’t shed a block on the play, Major Wright was who knows where, and Chris Conte was miserable as usual. Bad angle. Horrible form. Road kill.

Why the Packers bothered to throw, especially on first down, the Bears could only say, "Hallelujah."

Why the Bears continue to play Conte and Wright, opponents can only say the same thing.

Same goes for the middle of the Bears' defensive line.

Meanwhile, the Bears' special teams were getting pantsed. First, they had a punt blocked, then they got stung on an onside kick, plays leading to 10 points.

Lucky thing McCown, Matt Forte, Michael Bush and a stud offensive line showed up. The Bears' defense and special teams never looked better than when McCown, Forte and Bush were eating up 80 yards and almost the last 10 minutes of the game on a staggering 18-play drive. That’s life with the new Bears.

Rodgers’ injury changed the look of the NFC North. The Bears’ awful tackling might change it right back."
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,260 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,428ß
    Alex Brown on the score talked about this, he said he's not sure how you can fix this b/c players do not tackle in practice or during the season b/c of the new rules. But the tackling is embarassing and something needs done.
  3. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +703 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    315ß
    I just read somewhere that the Bears tackling typically improves over the season. They used Briggs as an example, he starts out poor but gets better as the season goes on. I think it's repetition. That's why I think it's important to get the rookies in to games. It's practice they can't get in Halas Hall.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,260 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,428ß
    Ya henry mentioned that also, I hope that's the case also.
  5. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +289 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    We'll I would say that the rookie LBs need to be in position to make a tackle before they can actually make a tackle. They looked lost out there most of the night, I sure hope they improve with experience
    • Like Like x 3
  6. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,228 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    145ß
    Rules or no if your a defender and you have poor technique you'd better practice your craft. Go and grab some scrubs or go somewhere to simulate better tackling for Pete's sake.
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,260 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,428ß
    It's one of the reasons they were not starting, if anyone needed that answered. Briggs, DJ and Anderson were the best starting LB's we had, and 2 untested rookies behind them, you now have guys that are lost, even in a fairly simple D.
  8. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Can't make tackles if you let guys get a head of steam & get to the next level unchallenged. We don't find a way to control the LOS, this will only get worse...
  9. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,877 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,178ß
    Looks like we need to go to an 11 man front
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0