Round 1 Pick 14 The Chicago Bears Select CB Kyle Fuller

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, May 8, 2014.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,873 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    849ß

[​IMG]

• Kyle Fuller, 6-0/190

• Cornerback

• Virginia Tech

Kyle Fuller Scouting Report
    By Charlie Campbell

Strengths:
    • Versatile can play outside or in the slot, or even safety
    • Instinctive
    • Good press-man corner
    • Can run with speed receivers downfield
    • Can play off-man coverage
    • Excellent zone corner
    • Capable of matching up against No. 1 receivers
    • Ball skills
    • Has some length
    • Comfortable with ball in the air
    • Fast backpedal
    • Straight-line speed
    • Experienced and successful against good college receivers
    • Good tackler
    • Gritty defender
    • Plays with a swagger
    • Confident, has the man-corner mentality
    • Ready to play
    • Special teams play-maker
    • Willing run-defender
    • Physical defender
    • Athletic
    • Flexible to play in man or zone scheme
    • Bloodlines: two brothers in the NFL
    • Upside

Weaknesses:
    • Has some stiffness
    • Durability

Summary: Virginia Tech has been a factory for NFL defensive backs; a trend that two more Fuller brothers will keep going. Kyle Fuller should be a first- or second-round pick this year, while younger brother Kendall Fuller could be the best of four brothers to enter the NFL, but he isn't a prospect until 2016 at the earliest. Kyle Fuller didn't play a complete 2013 season, but when the senior did play, he was so impressive that he vaulted himself into the conversation for the first round.

As a freshman in 2010, Fuller made six starts to total 32 tackles and six passes broken up. He improved his play in 2011 and started every game. The sophomore racked up 65 tackles with two interceptions, one forced fumble, and seven passes broken up. He was a Second-Team All-ACC selection. In his junior season, Fuller played well with 46 tackles, two interceptions, a forced fumble and three passes broken up.

Fuller saved his best for his last year. He was extremely impressive against Alabama in the 2013 season opener. Fuller did a superb job of smothering star receiver Amari Cooper in man coverage. Fuller had four tackles, an interception, at least one pass batted away, some good hits and solid play on special teams against the Crimson Tide.

Fuller kept up the impressive play in games versus Georgia Tech and North Carolina. He had tight coverage and was superb in run defense. Tar Heels receiver Quinshad Davis beat Fuller for a touchdown on a double move, but Fuller had a pick and six tackles in the game. Whil taking on the the Yellow Jackets, Fuller was all over the place blowing up their option run game, including lining up over the center at the line of scrimmage. Injuries hurt him down the stretch and he missed a few games. The senior totaled 24 tackles with two interceptions and 10 passes broken up in 2013 despite losing lots of playing time to injuries.

For the NFL, Fuller should be able to compete quickly. He has the size to line up on the outside and battle big receivers. Fuller is also a gritty, physical corner who can line up in press-man coverage and run with receivers downfield. Additionally, he is a good corner to line up in off-man coverage and pick up wide outs downfield. Fuller is superb in zone due to very good instincts. Adding to his versatility is the ability to play safety and star special teams coverage units.

Fuller is a quality run-defender who isn't afraid of fighting in the tackle box either. He could start his career as a slot corner before eventually taking over a starting role on the outside.

Fuller has some ball skills, but it would be nice if he produced some more interceptions. Sources have told WalterFootball.com that one thing hurting Fuller from being a high first-round pick is some tightness. That could be problematic against NFL speed receivers.

Still, Fuller looks like a player capable of making an immediate contribution on defense and special teams. In time, he could develop into a good starting cornerback with No. 1 corner potential. His ceiling is the middle of the first round, while his floor would be as an early second-round pick.

Player Comparison: Brandon Flowers. Fuller's style of play is similar to Flowers, another former Hokie. Fuller is a bigger version of Flowers (5-9, 187). Both are gritty cover corners who can isolate in man coverage on receivers. They also are versatile in that their respective skill sets can be used in a variety of ways. Flowers was an early second-round pick by the Chiefs in 2008, and that turned out to be a great selection by Kansas City. Fuller could be an NFL cornerback comparable to Flowers.

NFL Matches: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, San Diego, Cleveland, Carolina, San Francisco, Denver, Houston, Washington, Jacksonville

There are a lot of teams that are going to target a cornerback late in the first round or early in the second round. Fuller's cover skills could cause a team in the back half of the first round to select him. Perhaps the highest he could hope to go would be to the Steelers in the middle of the first round, but that seems like a reach.

The first team that could really be a good fit for Fuller is Cincinnati. The Bengals need cornerback help with Leon Hall coming off another serious injury. They also have aging veterans in Adam Jones and Terrance Newman. Fuller has the potential to form a nice tandem with Dre Kirkpatrick.

The Chargers have a massive need at cornerback, and Fuller should definitely be in play for San Diego. The team need fast, athletic cornerbacks to go against Denver, and Fuller could provide the Chargers with a quick upgrade. San Diego re-signed Richard Marshall, but the franchise needs corner help badly.

The Browns could use another corner to pair with Joe Haden. If they have Fuller as the best player available, he could make sense for Cleveland with pick No. 26.

Carolina badly needs help at cornerback. The team still have to find a replacement for Chris Gamble. However, the Panthers will probably draft a wide receiver or offensive lineman in the first round.

The 49ers and the Broncos could use some talented youth at corner. Fuller would be a great fit in San Francisco as the long-term replacement for Carlos Rogers. The 49ers' biggest need could be corner, so they could easily Fuller. Denver managed to sign Aqib Talib, but could use a complement on the other side from him.

At the top of the second round, the Texans need a nickelback after cutting Bryce McCain. They could develop Fuller as the nickel and have him eventually replace Jonathan Joseph or Kareem Jackson as a starter.

Still early in the second round, Fuller could land with Washington or Jacksonville. Both could use help at corner, especially the Jaguars. Fuller has enough size to fit Jacksonville's defense.
  2. beardownzona

beardownzona Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Could've traded down to get this guy...
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  3. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +614 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    211ß
    No Aaron Donald, but it's still Christmas.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 3
  4. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +305 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    55ß
    Nah, the value is fine if he's your guy and he is reported to have been the Steelers pick next.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Moth

Moth Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    not dissapointed at all with this selection.

welcome to the Bears, Kyle Fuller
    • Like Like x 4
  6. latorreedgar

latorreedgar Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    How do you know? And who would move up? They took a guy that many people had as the #1 CB
  7. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Emery tipped the pick when he talked about "corners who could play safety"
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +363 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    51ß
    Looking forward to seeing him play, hopefully we just fixed our safety position this year (unless we've got another guy in mind) and have the heir apparent for Tillman. It's good to not have that glaring hole next year, and if Tillman goes down it's not going to be as bad of a domino effect as it was last year.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,975 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    986ß
    big fat eh pick. don't hate it, but w/both top S's on the board they were better options. Could have gotten a quality CB in round 2 or 3. that's a top S and a quality CB in the first 3 rounds, now best they can get is a quality CB and quality S(at best) in the first 3 rounds.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Ctree5454

Ctree5454 Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    My second favorite player besides Donald..Tough, instinctive and a great athlete..can't be disappointed will be a starter for a long time
    • Like Like x 2
  11. JT Bonfire

JT Bonfire Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Unless they're completely inept, you don't, as an organization, play this kid at safety for a year or two, with plans to move him to CB upon Tillman's departure. Pick GD position and stick to it.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Ctree5454

Ctree5454 Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Think the safety's were overrated from the start..didn't see much difference between haha, Pryor, Buchanan and ward
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,975 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    986ß
    let me amend my prev statement, QB is the one position that imo doesn't have to start year 1, but all other positions should be starting.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    I agree Ric. Maybe Ward or Bucanon will be there @ 51.
  15. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,544 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    743ß
    Kind of how I see it too, but we did need a CB and I think he will be good. We did need a CB, but I'm not sure that he will play much this year. We already have a pretty good CB corp. But he should be a major contributor next year if Peanut leaves. I guess we are betting he does. I would rather have gone with a position that would have contributed and upgraded our team immediately. That's what I look for a 1st pick to do.

Pryor just went to the Jets, so I really hope Emery had him rated properly.

Welcome to Chicago Kyle.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +161 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    I agree. If he doesn't start somewhere this year, I think it is a questionable pick.
  17. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +738 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    I like it, I suspect he will be the nickel corner, I think another cb is coming to be FS. Possibly Aikens in rd 5, which is position he played first 2 yrs in college.
  18. Trackguy

Trackguy Veteran

Ratings:
    +164 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    You don't know that. Maybe Emery views the Safeties this year as deep and feels there is a bigger falloff at CB after the top few picks than there is at safety.

I'm sure everyone would like to see a bona fide starter with the first pick but if they have Fuller pegged as their lock down CB for the next eight years, it makes all the sense in the world.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,975 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    986ß
    Don't get me wrong, if Dix and or Pryor were off the Board I'd be all about this pick, but S was a bigger need then CB, and CB is far deeper then S. So grabbing one of the top S's was a better option then grabbing a NOT best CB.

Track, this is just a trend I'll have to get used to w/Emery I know he doesn't give a *blank* and is going to go w/his guy regardless of what lands on his plate that is a better option.

But in no way is Pryor/Dix not a better option then Fuller at 14 when you have 0 starting quality S's on your roster and have 2 pro bowl CB's, even if it's only for a year.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,449 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    754ß
    Well im sure he will see playing time in different packages this season, so he WILL see some field time, hopefully he produces in the limited chances he gets this year. If so, then this was a solid pick. If not? Then we seriously will start to question Emery's first round record, especially on defense.