Round 1 Pick 14 The Chicago Bears Select CB Kyle Fuller

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, May 8, 2014.

1. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Me too BIH. Tomorrow should be an interesting day. I'm taking the day off & will probably spend the day on this site & reading my draft books. I know it doesn't sound all that exciting but I love it. Plus any day off work is a good day.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. dabears70

dabears70 Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Emery said he picked Fuller to play corner not safety.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Fuller was taken to play CB per Emery.

What does this pick mean for Frey?
  4. latorreedgar

latorreedgar Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Just watched highlights on YouTube and this kid can HIT!!! Ran route better then the WR's
    • Like Like x 3
  5. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    He's already better than Frey IMHO.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. okay

okay Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    To those who still think Dix or Pryor would've been better, consider this.....
    What did the best CB in the league Darelle Revis get paid?
    What did one of the better CBs in the league, Sam Shields get paid? (4 years $39 mil)
    compare to the best FS in the league.....Byrd (6 year $56mil)
    compare to one of the best SS in the league....TJ Ward (4 yr $22.5mil)

Point is, CB is valued much more than safety. The cap money you save by drafting a top CB in the 1st over 4 years rather than paying one in FA are MUCH higher than the same situation with a safety.

I was hoping for Donald to drop but Fuller was the BPA at a position of need for the Bears. Good height, good athlete, instincts, physical, and VERY long arms.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +997 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    BIM:

Thanks for posting that vid. The only tape I had seen on him was that short vid I saw on the Chicago Bears site. Looked good, but only three plays and I liked what I saw but was not blown away. This is much better. I like what I see. He looks like he could be a very good corner. Still not crazy about getting a guy with a 1st that will not be a starter, but there is a need, and there is a good chance we would pick too low next year to get a top corner. You can't count on a Dennard falling as low next year as he did this year.

I'm not going to second guess Emery especially when I think he picked a good player.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    *shrug* Sounds good to me. He'll be a great NB and still take over for Tillman a year from now. If Frey is worth anything then we still will have three CB's next year once Tillman departs.
  9. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    So much for drafting a Safety in the 2nd round.

Bucannon (Cardinals) and Ward (49ers) are both gone in the 1st.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    Ok, I said no matter what I wouldn't get frustrated or angry with whoever we picked. I see some positives about Fuller, and DO think that Emery has intentions of moving him to S. Now with leaving Clinton Dix on the board as well as Pryor, Emery better damn be right on this one. And Dix goes to GB? If this pick blows up in his/our face and CD ends up a clearly better player I think many fans (myself included) will have their confidence in Emery shook deeply when it comes to first round selections.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +3,977 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    163ß
    Looks like its FA or next year for Safety.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. 50YearFrustration

50YearFrustration Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Kid looks like a player. That said, you would likely expect a 14th pick to fill a more immediate need, especially with what Emery espouses about winning championships. Briggs, Peanut, Allen, Ratliff aren't getting any younger,... I suppose if you don't think any of other picks are going to help out of the gate, either, then you take your top rated guy. I'd call it a hedge pick with an eye toward the future,...
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    I hope he ends up as S, and plays it well. You absolutely do not take a player at 14 to be a first year project and not start. Especially when you are clearly in a win now situation. Maybe this is an insurance against Tillman getting hurt, but then again it begs the question.....Who. the. hell. is. going. to. play. safety? Any chance of getting a quality safety is gone, Buchannon and Ward age gone.

My hope is he can play S, and play well but I guess we will have to see.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +144 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    That's a cool stat, hope to see it continue more this upcoming season when Fuller do get some playing time (rookie db's always gets picked on).
  15. Strangerwithcandy11

Strangerwithcandy11 Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,471 / 14 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    I like the pick. A couple days ago someone was saying move down and pick this kid. I had heard that day that Cincinnati was high on him so trading down would mean ahead of Cinci. Come to find out Pitt was high on him with the 15th so moving down any wasn't an option. If you like the guy at 14 you take him. From what I've heard and seen on tape he fills a need.

For shits and giggles. You could move Peanut to safety after this year and move Fuller to full time CB. I know Charles doesn't wanna play safety BUT to extend a career you never know.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. okay

okay Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    What is your definition of "starter"? The "starting" nickel back will be on the field more often than one of the "starting" LBers....Fuller's physicality may also allow the Bears to play in nickel more often, in situations where they would normally need 3 LBers on the field. (with Fuller covering the TE)

And without another CB what happens if Tillman or Jennings are injured? Bowman was a solid backup and he's gone to NYC, Hayden has barely been healthy the last 5 years and didn't play all last season....without Fuller to step in you're relying on Frey or Hayden or a 2nd/3rd round rookie to potentially cover Calvin Johnson/Golden Tate/Eric Ebron, Jordie Nelson/Randall Cobb, Greg Jennings/Cordarelle Patterson.....we lose either Tillman or Jennings you could have Hayden or Frey covering those guys for 6 games against our division rivals, arguably the 6 most important games of the season.

CB is a position where you really can't have too many quality players, especially in our division with how often we face 3 wide/4 wide sets...
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    This pick is growing on me, just hope he gets some real quality minutes and can make some plays. I still suspect he is going to at least see what he has at S come TC, but either way if the kid can get some quality time and quality reps then I am happy.
  18. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,156 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    I'm happy about the pick. I'm hopeful Fuller can get his feet wet in multiple spots-CB, NB, S. The safety play will at least won't be a gaping hole this year. I'm betting rounds 2-5 will be surprisingly entertaining.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß

I'll say it now, and its not completely fair but its will probably hold true. Fuller will be in direct competition with Dix to outpreform him in the eyes of most fans. If Dix comes on as a playmaker and Fuller is just meh, there will be a host of angry Bears fans far and wide.

I know its not a very fair comparison, but Emery made this pick and he better damn well be right.
  20. e-town beardown

e-town beardown Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    After watching some highlights I like this pick a lot. Looks like he has really good instincts, and plays faster than his 40 would indicate. Also looks like he tackles well in space, and has a knack for finding the ball in the air. Was high pointing the ball really well at the combine and a few times on tape too.