Round 1 Pick 14 The Chicago Bears Select CB Kyle Fuller

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, May 8, 2014.

1. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +876 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    829ß
    Good pick.

Gilbert, Barr and Donald were gone. Clinton-Dix, Fuller and Mosley were still on the board. Phil picked the best defensive player available.

Now we have a very versatile, hard hitting DB that can play both positions. Can Frey play NB or S?
    • Like Like x 2
  2. little bear

Ratings:
    +876 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    829ß
    Didn't I tell you guys all four safeties would go in the first? ^^
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Grendel

Grendel Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Frey's snaps last season: 508, 48.8% of defensive snaps. Phil already said Kyle will be coming in as our starting nickel, so he'll be taking over Frey's defensive snaps. And, maybe, if he is doing well, the snap count on the nickel package will increase. With his skills, he should make our nickel package more effective against the run.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. little bear

Ratings:
    +876 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    829ß
    Is Fuller an Emery pick or Trestman pick? Or maybe Tucker pick? Hard to tell.
  5. little bear

Ratings:
    +876 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    829ß
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...s-nfl-draft-spt-0509-20140509,0,1993172.story

With higher needs at defensive tackle and safety, and Aaron Donald off draft board just ahead of them, they take Virginia Tech cornerback

Phil Emery didn't need long Thursday night to trace his exuberance to its roots.
    The Bears general manager had pulled the trigger on his top pick in this year's NFL draft, selecting Virginia Tech cornerback Kyle Fuller with the 14th overall pick. And when he came to the Halas Hall media room for his victory lap, he quickly recounted the field trip last fall that sold him on the Bears' newest defensive prize.

It was a Thursday night in Atlanta. Sept. 26 to be exact.
    Fuller and his Hokies were facing Georgia Tech and coach Paul Johnson's intricate version of the triple-option offense. Emery was in attendance with Bears director of college scouting Marty Barrett and national scout Rex Hogan. And as Virginia Tech delivered a defensive masterpiece in which it allowed only 273 total yards in a 17-10 win, Emery repeatedly found himself captivated by Fuller's instincts, his effort, his willingness to attack the A-gap and crash into the backfield.

"I knew that day," Emery said, "that that's the type of player I wanted to represent the Chicago Bears. … All-out effort. Willingness. Physicalness. Just toughness to get the job done.
    "Watching that Georgia Tech game, he's crashing through gaps. Which means he had to go through offensive linemen to get to the ball. He did that and he did it repetitively. You don't see too many 190-pound guys willing to do that."
    Fuller will get his formal introduction Friday at Halas Hall, already praised by Emery as a "player that is universally loved in our building," a cornerstone he hopes will bolster the secondary deep into the future.
    As for his immediate role? That's a little more complicated with Pro Bowlers Tim Jennings and Charles Tillman still around as incumbent starters.
    Still, the sense is Fuller can carve out a niche initially in the Bears' sub packages and on special teams. And he seemingly has the aptitude and attitude to be an eager student alongside Jennings and Tillman as he works toward a future as a starter.
    "I'm definitely looking forward to coming in and learning from those guys," Fuller said.
    It had been assumed for months the Bears would use Thursday's pick on a defender, eyeing a quick turnaround after the disastrous 2013 campaign. But the consensus was that the team's biggest needs were at defensive tackle and safety.
    Emery acknowledged last week he had circled six players as prime options at No.14. And after the first 13 picks were made, with Pitt All-America defensive tackle Aaron Donald going to the Rams directly ahead of the Bears, Emery said he still had three of his targets available.
    Presumably, that short list included at least one of the top two safeties — Louisville's Calvin Pryor and Alabama's Ha Ha Clinton-Dix. But the Bears were instead magnetized to Fuller, not lured into making a cornerback vs. safety decision.
    "We decided on Kyle Fuller the player," Emery explained. "That was the important thing. That's a really good player with a lot of versatility in his coverage. He's got run support toughness. There wasn't any reason not to take Kyle Fuller."
    Added Fuller: "I plan on coming in and helping to rebuild the defense."
    ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay lauded Fuller as "a complete football player," praising his awareness and ball skills, not to mention a 38.5-inch vertical leap. McShay also credited Fuller with a smoothness to his game.
    "He's calm," McShay said. "He doesn't get rattled. He knows when to take a chance, when to gamble."
    Fuller may not have elite NFL speed. And he could stand to add strength to his rangy, 6-foot frame. But his length and versatility, Emery said, will allow him to excel in press man coverage or in zone, outside or in the slot. And his reliability as a tackler? Well, that has been widely noted, as evidenced by his 173 career tackles at Virginia Tech with 231/2 of those for loss.
    Said Emery: "You don't see that every day. … What makes Kyle unique is his combination of length and athleticism and versatility and smarts and toughness. It's hard to find all those qualities in a corner along with somebody who has been really productive."
    In the years ahead, Emery now hopes Fuller provides more attention-catching games like that one last fall in Atlanta.

--------------------

Sounds like they've had their eyes on him for quite on long time. There were highher rated prospects, but Phil decided to go his own way.

Dude's got some balls.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. little bear

Ratings:
    +876 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    829ß
    • Like Like x 1
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,083 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,152ß
    whats it mean for Hayden, both were brought back. Maybe the Tucker Def doesn't use S's just 5 CB's.
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,083 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,152ß
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ades-round-1-results-and-scores-for-each-team

9. Minnesota Vikings: Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA *Trade
    Anthony Barr's athleticism makes him a potentially lethal pass-rusher. He is, however, raw and unrefined.
    The Vikings are wise to beef up their front seven, but this was too early to draft such a raw player.
    Score: 7

10. Detroit Lions: Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina
    Paired with wide receiver Calvin Johnson, Eric Ebron's speed and ability to get deep will make the Lions' offense an even bigger threat to hit for big plays.
    Still, the Lions should have made a selection to improve other areas of their team with this selection.
    Score: 6

14. Chicago Bears: Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
    Kyle Fuller is an aggressive cover man and a solid value here. After coming in last in the league in rush defense last season, however, the Bears would have been better served adding someone to their front seven.
    There was worthy talent available in that area, and most notably Florida State's Timmy Jernigan.
    Score: 6

21. Green Bay Packers: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix has excellent range and instincts, and the Packers had a big need at safety. There is some concern given that Alabama's defensive players over recent history have not produced up to their draft status, but this was a good value and strong selection.
    Score: 9

Emery better hope he picked the right guy, b/c he's going to get to see HHCD 2x's a year over the next several years in GB.

5.5-6 are potential starters, 10 is the highest grade, guaranteed day 1 starters
  9. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +374 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    60ß
    I guess with Haha you gotta hope he benefited from being on a stacked team and, as they said, doesn't live up to his draft status. I was surprised he dropped that far and no one tried to hop up to get him during his slide.Coupled with Pryor going first? Does that mean he isn't what we thought he was? Or is it just a series of unfortunate events that culminated in GB getting a steal? I hope for the former but my gut says the latter of these is true.
  10. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,499 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    810ß
    Of course he benefited from a stacked team, Bama is notorious for having a great defense. Im sure Dix will be a starter for GB, but you have to think that he simply did well in Bama because he benefited from their defense being solid over all.
  11. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +374 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    60ß
    I guess I should say benefited to the point where he's not near the player he's billed to be.
  12. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    51ß
    I like th epick and its a need we had to fill
  13. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,635 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    899ß
    yeah... but usually you lie to us :-)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. latorreedgar

latorreedgar Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
  15. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +455 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    With his skillset, I wish the Hokies would have done us a solid and left him at S. I like what he can do, but Dix going to GB just makes me cringe. Emery is going to look like a genius or an idiot on this one, only time will tell. My question is what will happen to Frey. He didn't blow anyone away last year but did not think he deserved a demotion by any means. This is out there, I mean way out there but anyone think Frey gets TC looks at S?
    • Like Like x 1
  16. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +602 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    316ß
    I like the pick. I too would have liked a safety there, but I'm ok with Fuller too. In this league you need 3 good corners, and with the weapons we'll have to face he is going to come in handy. I'm thinking DT in the second now.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    Maybe let him and Fuller battle it out for the Nickle. Loser goes to back up Tillman. Remember Tillman didn't just struggle with the season ending injury he struggled making it through trainings and games as well, every chance he needs back up regularly through the year even if he isn't out.

The other option is to run some dime packages with multiple corners and Frey/Fuller playing a hybrid safety type role. If we can get pressure with 4 up front we can follow the lead of Pittsburgh/New Orleans etc with a heap of DB's on the field. Only question is whether Mel Tucker has that in his plan.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,635 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    899ß
    I don't like that we had to pick Fuller, but I like the pick if that makes sense.
    Reading between the lines (or perhaps reading what I want to read!), it sounded like Emery switched gears when Donald was picked. With that being the case, Emery said that he picked Fuller "the player". In other words, I think he realized that S was the bigger need, but that Fuller himself was too good a player to pass up. I agree with how he did it. We had a need at both positions (although really the need for CB could have waited until next year), but he saw a player he felt very strongly about and it trumped the positional need. I agree with that. It is the individuals out on the field that will determine the outcome of games. If he feels that Fuller is a difference maker and would make more a difference than anyone available in a position of real need like S, then you have to go that route. I am anxious to see him develop. I wish like hell that Donald had been there, but STL knew what we wanted and jumped it.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    If the so-called experts don't like the Fuller pick and they're downplaying it, then I like the pick even more because the talking heads don't know WTF they're talking about most of the time anyway.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,446 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    886ß
    +1

I figure there's a good chance that this guy will probably start this year if either of our older starting CB's are injured. He's primarily a top-tier cornerback for when Peanut is gone next year, but my point is that he's also much-needed depth for this year too. We learned the hard way last season what a lack of quality depth on defense does to your season - it flushes it down the toilet. I would have loved to have drafted Pryor in this draft, but I'm not disappointed with this pick at all. This is a kid that can step into some mighty big shoes next year - Charles Tillman's (no, I wasn't talking about J'Marcus Webb's untied size 23 shoes :lol 027: ),
    • Like Like x 2