Round 1 Pick 14 The Chicago Bears Select CB Kyle Fuller

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, May 8, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,381 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    791ß
    He is this year's defensive equivalent of the Kyle Long pick last season. You can argue that there may have been better picks at #14, but probably not a better pick for the Bears at #14. The rebuilding effort on defense now has a rock-solid foundation piece that was needed. This guy will hopefully pay dividends for many many years to come, just like Peanut Tillman did for us. And in our division, we'd better have rock-solid corners or we're screwed.

I'm convinced that the defense will be much improved this season, but the rebuilding effort will not be complete until 2015. There were just too many holes to fill on D. If you look at it in that light, then the Fuller pick makes a lot of sense. Heck, we could have used 3 first round picks......but obviously we could only draft 1 guy in the first. I'm excited about this pick nonetheless. How important is an elite CB to the Bears? Just look at Peanut and you get a reality check. He's priceless. The other pieces on defense will be put into place, some yet in this remaining draft, and others next year in the draft and FA. And I wouldn't be surprised if Emery added 1 more high quality FA guy after the draft dust settles.
    Last edited: May 9, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +329 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    162ß
    This ^^^^^^

I think from Emery's perspective, his #1 DT was off the board and he took his #1 DB.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,216 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    256ß
    I wanted AD but he went one pick early. I'm good with the Fuller pick and wasn't surprised at all (for the first time with an Emery 1st rounder). I didn't want Mosely as he wasn't a good fit for us--better off in a 3-4 as he ultimately went to.

Why are some people freaking out about Dix and Green Bay? First of all, the "1st round safeties" both fell pretty good, especially Ha-Ha. And all 4 "1st and 2nd round safeties" went basically as a unit in the late 1st. So much for the idea that Dix & Pryor were head-and-shoulders better than Ward and Buchannon (who I wanted in 2). The pro talent evaluators didn't see it that way at all. And FWIW Alabama high pick DBs have disappointed or busted a lot the last few years. I think the real comparison to be made will be Fuller v Pryor. CP is a big hitter who has tackling and penalty concerns at the next level.

We will see but I think Emery took the best DB overall and the best defender (for the Bears) left on the board after just missing on Donald.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +840 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    752ß
    Because Ted Thompson is excellent at drafting and usually knows what he's doing.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    How did Datone Jones work out last year, and every pick not named Lacy? How's their picks from 2012 doing? Anybody aside from Randall Cobb from the 2011 draft blow you away? How about 2010? I mean lets be honest here...Green Bay hasn't hit on a first rounder since Matthews...and he was their second choice.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +840 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    752ß
    I think you're asking the wrong questions.

Which team has been more successful over the past few years? Bears or Packers?
    Which team has owned the division?
    Which team is the most complete?
    Which team has won a Super Bowl?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    No...I don't think I'm asking the wrong questions. I realize the answers to all of those. The fact remains this guy hasn't had a good draft since 09! My uncle...God bless his soul is a Packers fan(going back to Lombardi) and he can't stand the guy. The only guys worth mentioning from his last 4 drafts are Morgan Burnett, Lacy, and Randall Cobb...and none of them were drafted in the first round.

A lot of you get on Emery about his first rounds...but take a look at Ted Thompsons recent history...it ain't great!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,988 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,003ß
    in the last 4-5 drafts whens the last time Ted got to draft in the teens or lower? Not exactly getting blue chippers in the mid to late 20's.
  9. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    Listen, whats good for the goose is good for the gander. If in round 1 you are expected to land day 1 starters it shouldn't matter where you pick.
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,988 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,003ß
    That's a beautiful world you live in, is the color of the sky a dark navy blue or orange?

When the Bears picked at 31 nearly 10 yrs ago I wasn't screaming for a day 1 starter, wouldn't expect it the team is good enough to probably not need a rookie to start anyways. you pick in the teens you better get one b/c your team had some kind of glaring hole. You pick in the 20's chances are you are getting a crap shoot.

I do know that multiple sources show that GB has drafted better and has retained more of their draft picks then just about any team and all teams in the NFCN. So while they might not be hitting .1000 it's a damn site better then the .050 Chicago has.
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,381 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    791ß
    Green Bay is a solid franchise, but hopefully the Bears now have the GM/Scouts/Coaches to put together the team that can move past GB and be the power team of the NFCN moving forward. We have the gears now to pass GB, maybe not this season (but I hope so) but give this Bears crew another year and I believe we will have something special here in Chicago. And the way Emery is building this team will make SUSTAINED excellence a good possibility. I'll bet GB is more than a little worried now that we shipped Lovie and Angleo out of Chicago. They know they will have some real competition in the division now.
  12. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +736 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    81ß
    Wow, can't believe some people are this disheartened by our pick. Frankly, I probably would have selected Pryor if I was the GM, but I really don't see a problem here. We have needs all across the Defense and this addresses one of them, so in my eyes, its a very good pick. I also agree that teh CB position is more important (and harder to find talent) than the Safety position and many have written lately that the Safety class this year (including Clinton-Dix AND Pryor) were subpar with the front end being a bit over rated.

I'm good with this pick. In fact, I'm VERY good with this pick.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,880 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    873ß
    If Fuller turns out to be a probowl corner is anyone going to care if Ha-Ha turns into a probowl safety for the packers?

If the answer is yes you are obsessive
    • Like Like x 4
  14. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,216 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    256ß
    Like with Derek Sherrod who hasn't played a single game?
    Or Nick Perry who can't stay healthy?

Every GM has misses and mistakes. There's no assurance that Ha-Ha is going to be a difference maker or even long-term starter. He MAY become that or he may be like several other recent Alabama DBs who were picked high--a major disappointment. There's a reason why he fell to the late-1st when he was thought of as the #1 safety by the amateurs.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    They do well in the later rounds, but we're talking about round 1 picks here and recent history. Recently there are teams that have drafted much better than they have. NO WHERE ANYWHERE HAVE I SAID WE DRAFTED BETTER THAN THEM. I get Thompson has a past that was good, but his recent history is just not good...argue it all you want, but the facts are the facts.
  16. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    By the way...having Aaron Rodgers covering up your inability to draft an o-line that can protect him makes a GM look a heck of a lot better. So does being lucky enough for a qb of that caliber to fall to you at 24.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,880 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    873ß
    Ha-Ha might be a better DB than Fuller. But if he does not fit the scheme you do not draft him. You draft the players you feel best fit your scheme. You don't draft a player and change the scheme to fit them.

Emery obviously feels that Fuller obviously fits the scheme far better than any of the top four safties.
  18. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    When you look at the teams we're going to have to face Fuller can do a lot of stuff for us. You can put him on a flexed out tight end and he can cover them(detroit), he can cover the slot well(Green Bay, Bills, etc). He can be an extra safety type out there. Theres a lot you can do with him, that you might not be able to do with Ha Ha.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +204 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    I like this pick. Fuller will play a lot of snaps and fills the need. Emery got a real good CB/S with this pick. Can't wait to see the next couple of rounds.
    :lol 027:
    • Like Like x 1
  20. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +736 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    81ß

That's kind of the way I was looking at it Benji. The way I have it bouncing around in my head is this:

If Clinton-Dix or Pryor turns out to be the next Mike Brown and Fuller turns out to be the next Charles Tillman, which would you prefer? Personally, I loved Brownie and he did A LOT for us, but Tillman has given us more. Even if you disagree with that, I don't think anyone would suggest that Brown over Tillman is a no brainer. At worst, it's a wash.

This was a good pick; the depth at CB that everyone was talking about is evaporating just as much as Safety, and next year at this time, we'll be glad we don't have to find another top CB. Perhaps the Safety class will look better next year, or perhaps we have other plans for something dynamic like a selection of Telvin Smith to play SS/Rover.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1