Round 1 Pick 14 The Chicago Bears Select CB Kyle Fuller

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, May 8, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,094ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    He is this year's defensive equivalent of the Kyle Long pick last season. You can argue that there may have been better picks at #14, but probably not a better pick for the Bears at #14. The rebuilding effort on defense now has a rock-solid foundation piece that was needed. This guy will hopefully pay dividends for many many years to come, just like Peanut Tillman did for us. And in our division, we'd better have rock-solid corners or we're screwed.

I'm convinced that the defense will be much improved this season, but the rebuilding effort will not be complete until 2015. There were just too many holes to fill on D. If you look at it in that light, then the Fuller pick makes a lot of sense. Heck, we could have used 3 first round picks......but obviously we could only draft 1 guy in the first. I'm excited about this pick nonetheless. How important is an elite CB to the Bears? Just look at Peanut and you get a reality check. He's priceless. The other pieces on defense will be put into place, some yet in this remaining draft, and others next year in the draft and FA. And I wouldn't be surprised if Emery added 1 more high quality FA guy after the draft dust settles.

#81 JustAnotherBearsFan99, May 9, 2014
    Last edited: May 9, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. dachuckster

dachuckster Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,148ß
    This ^^^^^^

I think from Emery's perspective, his #1 DT was off the board and he took his #1 DB.

• Like Like x 3
  3. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    I wanted AD but he went one pick early. I'm good with the Fuller pick and wasn't surprised at all (for the first time with an Emery 1st rounder). I didn't want Mosely as he wasn't a good fit for us--better off in a 3-4 as he ultimately went to.

Why are some people freaking out about Dix and Green Bay? First of all, the "1st round safeties" both fell pretty good, especially Ha-Ha. And all 4 "1st and 2nd round safeties" went basically as a unit in the late 1st. So much for the idea that Dix & Pryor were head-and-shoulders better than Ward and Buchannon (who I wanted in 2). The pro talent evaluators didn't see it that way at all. And FWIW Alabama high pick DBs have disappointed or busted a lot the last few years. I think the real comparison to be made will be Fuller v Pryor. CP is a big hitter who has tackling and penalty concerns at the next level.

We will see but I think Emery took the best DB overall and the best defender (for the Bears) left on the board after just missing on Donald.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. little bear

little bear Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,109ß
    Because Ted Thompson is excellent at drafting and usually knows what he's doing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,264ß
    How did Datone Jones work out last year, and every pick not named Lacy? How's their picks from 2012 doing? Anybody aside from Randall Cobb from the 2011 draft blow you away? How about 2010? I mean lets be honest here...Green Bay hasn't hit on a first rounder since Matthews...and he was their second choice.

• Like Like x 1
  6. little bear

little bear Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,109ß
    I think you're asking the wrong questions.

Which team has been more successful over the past few years? Bears or Packers?
    Which team has owned the division?
    Which team is the most complete?
    Which team has won a Super Bowl?

• Like Like x 1
  7. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,264ß
    No...I don't think I'm asking the wrong questions. I realize the answers to all of those. The fact remains this guy hasn't had a good draft since 09! My uncle...God bless his soul is a Packers fan(going back to Lombardi) and he can't stand the guy. The only guys worth mentioning from his last 4 drafts are Morgan Burnett, Lacy, and Randall Cobb...and none of them were drafted in the first round.

A lot of you get on Emery about his first rounds...but take a look at Ted Thompsons recent history...it ain't great!

• Like Like x 1
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,886ß
    in the last 4-5 drafts whens the last time Ted got to draft in the teens or lower? Not exactly getting blue chippers in the mid to late 20's.

9. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,264ß
    Listen, whats good for the goose is good for the gander. If in round 1 you are expected to land day 1 starters it shouldn't matter where you pick.

10. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,886ß
    That's a beautiful world you live in, is the color of the sky a dark navy blue or orange?

When the Bears picked at 31 nearly 10 yrs ago I wasn't screaming for a day 1 starter, wouldn't expect it the team is good enough to probably not need a rookie to start anyways. you pick in the teens you better get one b/c your team had some kind of glaring hole. You pick in the 20's chances are you are getting a crap shoot.

I do know that multiple sources show that GB has drafted better and has retained more of their draft picks then just about any team and all teams in the NFCN. So while they might not be hitting .1000 it's a damn site better then the .050 Chicago has.